Tips on How to spot a fake Mont Blanc

kavanagh

Thank you Tom. :) I would love to go to Hawaii, but it's so far from here. :(

~ Chrissy:

Yes, it's far out into the Pacific, not all that near to anywhere.

I hope that someday, somehow your travels might pass through Honolulu and into the lovely Neighbor Islands, including Kauai.

The warm Aloha hospitality of Hawaii to visitors from throughout the globe isn't only felt through the pleasant weather, but also from the smiles of Hawaii's diverse residents.

While there, you might be inspired to write with vivid inks in tune with the tropical colors.

Tom K.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Chrissy

• Matlock

• jduz1

• Tom Kellie

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's not Hawaii, it's Kawaii!

niksch

Donor Pen

• av-665.jpg?_r=0
  • Member - Gold
  • gold_member.png

bullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.png

• 4,384 posts
  • Flag: United%20States.gif

Posted 09 November 2017 - 12:46

Oh my word. :yikes: Laughing hysterically :lticaptd: (errrm should that have been Hawaii?)

As Fred pointed out Kawaii is actually a good chunk of island in the Hawaiian Islands Chain.

~ FredRydr:

These two posts confused me, and perhaps Chrissy.

Was the Japanese cultural aesthetic meant, or, as niksch notes above, my home island of Kauai?

Tom K.

• 2 months later...

Hello everyone! I hail from the distant lands of Buenos Aires, Argentina.

I've read this topic entirely (and others on other forums) and have been researching all around the web for a couple of days already. Here's the thing: I've owned this Montblanc pen since the 90s and never once used it. I have read extensively about fakes but could still use your expertise in this area. I'm going to attach a series of pictures of the pen in question. As far as I can tell, it is a 144 (?). It has no 'Pix' under the clip but that's fine because I probably got it before '97. But it does have a serial number (and that makes sense too, since I probably got it after '91) and it is 'GG1585748'. However there's a couple things that make me doubt: 1) I can't make the resin glow red but I might be doing it wrong and 2) the "identnr" number on the booklet differs (by one number?) from the one found on the warranty card. But all in all and apart from this, the pen looks pretty much genuine to me. The quality of the thing feels top notch. Anyhow, here fo the pics so that you can see for yourself. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

onBrZPZ.jpg

GgVMGpj.jpg

6Sq1MfQ.jpg

SvBROP2.jpg

32oJyfZ.jpg

SbbQhbg.jpg

WXxZ2Oi.jpg

s4V8Mnr.jpg

9YYQncx.jpg

(it can't be seen in this picture, but the converter does indeed have the 'Montblanc' logo engraved on ths silver area. It just is on the other side (I didn't realize while taking the image)

HrTUD11.jpg

9WGeI0q.jpg

xnUoiEm.jpg

It is genuine. The two identification numbers are for the leaflet and the guarantee card and are nothing to do with the pen. Just enjoy your genuine MB 144. The "red glow" test is a bit of a misnomer. Some MBs will not pass that test and I have a $12 fake that passes. The best test (but not infallible) is the magnet test on the nib.

Peter

It is genuine. The two identification numbers are for the leaflet and the guarantee card and are nothing to do with the pen. Just enjoy your genuine MB 144. The "red glow" test is a bit of a misnomer. Some MBs will not pass that test and I have a $12 fake that passes. The best test (but not infallible) is the magnet test on the nib.

HEY. Thanks a lot for the prompt answer! Indeed: I tried the magnet test and for sure it wasn't attracted to it. THANKS again!

HEY. Thanks a lot for the prompt answer! Indeed: I tried the magnet test and for sure it wasn't attracted to it. THANKS again!

You're welcome, enjoy the pen :).

Peter

• 6 months later...

I've been reading this thread and beginning to feel a little more confident that the MB Meisterstuck 145 I just bought through Amazon is real. Point of information: I've been using Cross Fountain pens for a number of years, and like them. I have two Cross fountain pens, one Roller ball, and a solid gold 14k Cross Classic with my father's name inscribed on it (My mother gave it to him for their 50th anniversary. I also have an absolutely gorgeous Sailor Maya special edition fountain pen that was given to me by the brother of a late friend who was an extraordinary fountain pen collector. The Sailor is Sterling Silver with magnificent engraving taken from a Mayan monument (and it includes hieroglyphic engraving). It is a numbered, special edition pen, number 3 of 388.

I've long wanted a MontBlanc, and last week I finally bit the proverbial bullet. I haven't used it yet because I was concerned about its authenticity. I'd like to post some photos showing packaging and various parts of the pen, and would be interested in opinions, realizing you really can't know without seeing the pen itself. First, the nib has all the right markings, and 8410. The cap is a screw cap and screws on and off easily. The MB star looks very good. And, now the important stuff, the stuff that I can't really show in the photos, but really tell the story.

There is a serial number, on the clip band. On the underside of the clip, there is the following: Made in Germany. And, under that inscription is the word METAL (all caps). Around the wide gold band is engraved: MONTBLANC - MEISTERSTUCK - Pix. Except for Pix, it is all capitalized block letters, fairly deeply embossed. The P in Pix is capitalized, and the word is embossed in script rather than block letter. There appears to be something that looks like a trademark following Pix, and then another - leading back to MONTBLANC. I say it appears to be a trademark because of size and location. I don't have a powerful enough magnifier to see more. Anyway, I'm going to post some photos of it, with packaging, and would like opinions as to its authenticity. At this point, I'm inclined to believe it's authentic. But, I am no expert. Thanks in advance for any responses.

post-144690-0-87819300-1533843805_thumb.jpg

post-144690-0-69583300-1533843876_thumb.jpg

post-144690-0-17174200-1533843902_thumb.jpg

post-144690-0-62183700-1533843919_thumb.jpg

Because of some file size restrictions, I was not able to attach all the files I intended to, but what I've attached should help.

thanks in advance.

Brian

• 2 weeks later...

I had written August 9 about my concerns over my Montblanc Meisterstück 145 fountain pen that I had purchased on Amazon.com.

I am very happy to report that the pen has been confirmed authentic. After significant research, and a number of positive findings, it was still unclear whether the pen is authentic. For one thing, the serial number sounded different from other serial numbers that I have seen reported. Instead of two letters followed by six numbers, the serial number is an eight digit sequence of random numbers and letters. Moreover, the "Pix" with trademark was not under the clip, but on the band itself with "MontBlanc Meisterstück". Under the clip is engraved "Made in Germany". So, yesterday, I took it to the nearest MontBlanc boutique. The MontBlanc agent checked in the serial database and it was listed. The pen was made in 2014, so it sat in a shop for a few years. It is, in short, authentic.

In any event, I had waited until learning of its authenticity to “ink it”, in the event that I needed to return it as counterfeit. I did so yesterday, and was not disappointed. I own a number of excellent fountain pens… two high end Cross and a limited edition Sailor (3 of 388 in the run). Plus a number of more pedestrian instruments. With the possible exception of the Sailor… a sterling silver fountain pen celebrating Maya civilization which I use only during special Maya related events… it is by far the best writer of all my fountain pens.
So, I’m very happy to have learned at last that it is a genuine MontBlanc Meisterstück 145.
Cheers to all, and may your Meisterstück be genuine!
Brian
Edited by bampolsk