Tips on How to spot a fake Mont Blanc

kavanagh

The fake MB maker can copy all visible features of Meisterstuk like

1) Pix on cap-ring and Pix under clip

2) Incused hatching of the legends on the middle cap-ring

3) GERMANY and Serial number beginning with 2 letters on the clip-ring

What was considered impossible (read very very difficult) for faker is the precious black resin whose formula is closedly guarded secret like that of Coca Cola. The MB resin is supposed to emit red colour when held against strong background of white light like that from an incadescent lamp of 60 watts. I have tested my MBs all bought from authorised Montblanc Boutiques and they have passed the test.

But one faker from China has surprised me. His fake MB resin also emits red light. I deliberately bought his fake145 Chopin for $50 to see how good is his faking skill. I will give him 100 out of 100 for his art of faking. His pens can be described as "genuine Montblanc made in China". But where he failed is the test of human feel of comfort of writing. The steel(I guess) nib with gold and rhodium coating as per specification of genuine nib and perfectly ground iridium tip did not give me the same feel the genuine ones give. But honestly I do not know whether the lack of good feel was not coming to me because I already knew that I have bought a fake pen and also because I have more than a decade's experience writing with 6 genuine MB pens. Perhaps a first timer with the fake pen will never realise that his pen is not genuine. The webpage of the Chinese seller of this fake pen is either Magic2Door.com OR Magictodoor.com

Interesting. I just bought a Meisterstück 145 and I can't tell if it is genuine or a very good fake. Everything seems to be right on it. The Pix logo on the clip, correct placement of a serial number (2 letters then numbers) the print on the band, weight, and even the red color when you shine a light through it. Everything except the nib. The underpart (black part) seems to be perfect, but the nib doesn't seem to be that great of detailed as it should be. The gold side is more on one side than the other (not much, but under a mag glass it is noticeable) and the engravings seem superficial. There is no "Germany" or other markings like some fakes have but it just feels a bit off (I was comparing the nib to my genuine Boheme fountain pen I bought at a MontBlanc botique) Luckly I didn't pay much for it..

What's a easy way to tell if the nib is fake (assuming all the engravings are correct)?

Edited by westb182

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Chrissy

• Matlock

• jduz1

• Tom Kellie

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What's a easy way to tell if the nib is fake (assuming all the engravings are correct)?

The short answer is "There is no easy way."

Poor fakes may use a magnetic steel for their nibs but good fakes will use a better non-magnetic steel. The Boutique may be able to tell but the best visual clues I know of are to look at those areas that don't normally show, underside of nibs, interior of body, threading and make sure that the fit and finish are up to the same standards as what does show.

• 2 months later...

Hi Guys

Just read some of the references to the Pix being missing from the inside of the Clip on Fakes, that is no longer the case, I have one that I bought knowing it was a fake, just to wind up a Montblanc owner that I know, and it came with serial number Pix on the inside of the clip and a two tone nip that was so deeply etched it looked pressed. It was a very good fake and for under £20 delivered from China it did the wind up job it was needed for.

They are getting better

Paul

• 3 months later...

Dear Colleagues,

I have just perused ebay in the UK and I am surprised at the amount of fakes being brought over from Dubai and the Far East and then sold without 'box and papers'. So I am offering the following tips ( which I hope are useful ) and would welcome any additions ( I have also attached pics of some fake mont blancs bought in New York on my trip from the UK so that you can get a feel for a fake ):

1) The nib is the most difficult aspect to fake. Always ask for a close up picture of the nib section - iridium tip and 'made in germany' stamped on the nib is a dead give away. To my knowledge, Mont Blanc do not stamp 'iridium tip' on their nibs. The exception to this is the Genuine Mont Blanc Starwalker pen - it does have the words 'iridium' stamped on the nib section, is nearly always silver ( hence, this pen is faked more than any other ). Always ask for a pic of the floating star on the cap, if it appears to be irregular or not dead centre, it is likely to be fake. The best tip I can give is go to a genuine dealer and actually take a picture of a starwalker ( barrel and cap ). That way you know what to look for.

2) Ask for a picture of the underside of the nib section. A genuine Mont Blanc's black section will be aligned perfectly with the ink aperture between the tines ( a genuine article is accurately produced down to the smallest detail ). If the black section is not aligned and is either side of the aperture, then it is likely to be a fake.

3) Before you bid, get an emailed assurance from the seller that it is a genuine Mont Blanc - because if turns out that it isn't , you can ask for your money back or get ebay involved. If you get a vague response to your question - don't bid.

4) Another dead give away, ask the seller if he has more than one item and if you can purchase more than four. A faker always buys in bulk and then sells them individually. Genuine Mont Blancs are expensive, and if a seller has more than four - it's likely that he has bought in bulk.

5) A sure thing about a fake Meisterstuck legrande 146 is the nib section - it always has a nib similiar to the cheap german fountain pens with the words 'iridium tipped' made in germany - it is definitely a fake. The original nib is beautifully crafted and a faker will not spend more money on trying to recreate this.

I hope this information helps

Regards,

Kavanagh

Even if the two tines on the nib and the feed aren't perfectly aligned, the nib could still write smoothly. The purpose of the feed is to supply ink near the gap of the two tines on underside of the nib.

Even if the two tines on the nib and the feed are perfectly aligned, the nib might still write poorly. e.g. startup problem on paper.

So, I don't think that this alignment observation is an accurate way to identify a fake.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got a tribute in and the first 2 things i noticed was it was not a screw top and had a convertor in it. aside from that it looks pretty perfect closed has pix, serial germany etc. on the inside it appears to be brass, Such a pain in the butt now I have to try and get ebay involved. After reading this guys reviews apparently he says ok send it back and doesnt give the right address.

Just got a tribute in and the first 2 things i noticed was it was not a screw top and had a convertor in it. aside from that it looks pretty perfect closed has pix, serial germany etc. on the inside it appears to be brass, Such a pain in the butt now I have to try and get ebay involved. After reading this guys reviews apparently he says ok send it back and doesnt give the right address.

We were talking about the pen earlier today. Look here.

Good luck with it. I hope you didn't pay too much for it.

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

Whatever you do, please don't send it back until after you have opened a case and waited for ebay to advise what to do.

The first thing to do is to open a case that the item is not as described because it's a counterfeit item. Then wait for ebay to make the decision.

• 2 months later...

I heard that Montblanc didn't put "Pix" trade mark until 1997. I have Meisterstuck 146 that I bought from dealer in the early 90's doesn't have "Pix" engraved.

When I had my Meisterstuck 146 inspected for authenticity at the nearest Mont Blanc boutique, the biggest indication is if it doesn't have the company trademark "Pix" followed by the registered trademark symbol, then it's definitely a fake. The sales associate, who seems to know about Mont Blancs quite a bit, including the vintage models, has seen very good fakes with serial numbers and Germany stamp and everything else BUT the "Pix" trademark.

I believe Montblanc started put "Pix" starting 1997. I have Meisterstuck 146 that I bought from Montblanc store in the early 90's and doesn't have "Pix" trademark.

• 4 weeks later...

I think Jomashop sells Montblancs cheaper (gray market) that are still real. Has anyone gotten a fake from them?

Parker Sonnet | Tiffany 15305851 | Parker Insignia | Cross Compact | Parker Insignia | Namiki/Pilot Vanishing Point | LAMY swift | Waterman Carène | Sheaffer Valor | Cross Classic Century | Faber-Castell E-Motion | Pelikan Souverän M800 Demonstrator | Caran d'Ache Ecridor | Fisher Bullet Space | Cross Townsend Tango | OMAS Arte Italiana 1930 Sparkling Mini | John M. Russell Streamline | Conklin Mark Twain Crescent Filler | Montblanc Starwalker

I think Jomashop sells Montblancs cheaper (gray market) that are still real. Has anyone gotten a fake from them?

They do sell MBs. Though I have never bought an MB from them I have bought several watches with no problems at all.

" Gladly would he learn and gladly teach" G. Chaucer

• 1 month later...

Hi reading the previous posts im a little worried I must admit haha recently got a signature for good legrand rollerball 2013 edition the serial number is 6 digits not 7 the clip has made in germany and the word metal below it. No pix anywhere on the pen but it does feel solid and all anyone with this model has the same things printed? The word metal is what worries me most as I have never read such descriptions of mb pens anywhere but its bought from a reputable dealer so..

As many others have pointed out in this thread, counterfeiters have refined their techniques to the point that I'd be very wary of buying a catridge-converter Montblanc off of eBay. (On the other hand, it seems like piston fillers are rarely if ever copied.)

In September I bought two Classiques from a Chinese seller on eBay (knowing that they could be fake but also that there's eBay Buyer Protection to save the day) for about $150 each.

Both pens had most of the hallmarks of a real pen: non-magnetic nib, pressed nib (or at least the engraving was just that good), red glow under light, clip ring markings, and "Pix" marking under nib. I bet that the counterfeiter even made sure to copy the serial number from a real pen.

The only tell-tale sign that alerted me that the pens were fake was this: both pens had the same serial number.

The only tell-tale sign that alerted me that the pens were fake was this: both pens had the same serial number.

Oh dear that's a bit of a give away then :lticaptd:

• 1 year later...

Dear Friends,

I recently purchased a Starwalker Gold - Black resin - fineliner at ebay (model : 105652); it's a lovely pen & has an individual serial number on the top gold plated ring, however there is no "Pix" marking underneath the clip - instead there is a "Made in Germany" marking only!

Can someone guide me if it could be a real or fake, is there any way to veryfy anything from the individual Sr number; also how is that torch light test done on the resin!

Looking forward to hear.

regards

Naveen

• 4 weeks later...

Dear Friends,

I recently purchased a Starwalker Gold - Black resin - fineliner at ebay (model : 105652); it's a lovely pen & has an individual serial number on the top gold plated ring, however there is no "Pix" marking underneath the clip - instead there is a "Made in Germany" marking only!

Can someone guide me if it could be a real or fake, is there any way to veryfy anything from the individual Sr number; also how is that torch light test done on the resin!

Looking forward to hear.

regards

Naveen

I have been doing some research on the Starwalker Midnight Black Resin Fineliner as I recently purchased one and am anxiously awaiting it's arrival. I've been trying to arm myself with as much information as I can to confirm it's authenticity. During my research I have read that some of the Starwalker pens made within the past couple of years do not have "PIX" written under the clip. Hopefully someone MUCH more knowledgeable than me can chime in to confirm.

As for the light test, it is my understanding that you need to hold the body of the pen up to a strong light source so that it can shine through the black precious resin. In doing so, you should notice a reddish glow that shines through. This is due to the fact that the black precious resin is not completely opaque like some of the low quality counterfeits being sold.

As for the light test, it is my understanding that you need to hold the body of the pen up to a strong light source so that it can shine through the black precious resin. In doing so, you should notice a reddish glow that shines through. This is due to the fact that the black precious resin is not completely opaque like some of the low quality counterfeits being sold.

I have a fake $13 145. The light test shows the reddish glow just fine with that so you can discount that test. The fakers are getting better all the time.

Peter