Top Posters In This Topic

• Chrissy

• Matlock

• jduz1

• Tom Kellie

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dear Friends,

I recently purchased a Starwalker Gold - Black resin - fineliner at ebay (model : 105652); it's a lovely pen & has an individual serial number on the top gold plated ring, however there is no "Pix" marking underneath the clip - instead there is a "Made in Germany" marking only!

Can someone guide me if it could be a real or fake, is there any way to veryfy anything from the individual Sr number; also how is that torch light test done on the resin!

Looking forward to hear.

regards

Naveen

I went to two shops today to look at the Starwalker black resin fineliners. One was a pen shop who is also an authorized MB dealer and the other an actual MB retail boutique. Both the pens I looked at did not have the "Germany Metal Pix" but instead had the "Made in Germany" on the inside of the clip. I asked about the Pix trademark and the lady who has had 14yrs experience with MB said that they used to print that but no longer do. And that "torch light test" is just shining a bright light thru the barrel of the pen without the ink cartridge in there and you should see the light shine thru in a reddish hue.

As far as the serial number, I've heard elsewhere within this forum that MB only keeps track of limited edition serial numbers. I could be totally wrong on that, just hearsay.

:)

I know the MB repair centre in Melbourne, Australia, keeps records of all serial numbers sold within Australian MB Boutiques - they are also very friendly the times I have called to double check :)

The O-ring is the black ring at the right hand end of twist mechanism.

This pen is interesting for a couple reasons. No serial number, yet the engraving says Germany, not West Germany. There is a topic that shows a similar pen and says that those with West Germany and a serial number are transition pens - the serial numbering started around about the time of the reunification of Germany. So, this pen is also a transition pen, but the 'other way round' and therefore the engraving of the clip could have been two processes at that time. First the country, then the serial number, or vice versa.

The twist mechanism is different to the modern variety.

I have just discovered that my more modern 164 has an inner sleeve to the barrel. It pushes onto a knurled extension of the brass point, behind the threads. This one does not have that.

Most pens made before reunification are just engraved Germany on the clip. Most of the ones engraved West Germany were made just before reunification.

Hi "entertainment",

I have been trying to find out if the '164' Classique ballpoint with twist mechanism was in production in the earlier period when MB pens were marked Germany - i.e. when 'west' did not recognise 'east' as a separate country. I have not found any evidence either way, but I have seen (online) a 'demonstrator' supposedly dating from 1990.

Anyone know when the ballpoint Meisterstucks were introduced?

You don't know what you need until you realise you haven't got it.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi!

Usually I will use a very good close up magnifier, those used by jewellers to check on the diamond and precious stones. With this close up , shine a powerful bright torch at area around the nib. I am sure it will show very clearly the bad details of a fake pen. Its difficult to see these bad areas with our naked eyes.

This is how I check on fake items.

kaikeong

• 7 months later...

All of the above are great points and good indications of authenticity. George, you are partially right about the Pix engraving underneath the clip. It is only in the more recent years that it appears. I hope someone can tell us when it started to appear. So if you are buying a brand new MB or a very recent one it is good to look for that. For the older, vintage models though there is no Pix there, just like the serial number in the Meisterstuck lines. Nikolaos

Hi,

I am a new reader and am very interested in this thread. I do believe serial numbers are 1991 onwards and the Pix engraving, again I am led to believe, is 1997 onwards. I am a nubby to this but have been doing a bit of research as after a couple of good,genuine, pens to go with one I already own

Thanks,

Ray

• 8 months later...

Hi guys,

I hesitate about the Andy Warhol "set". Owner wants for both only 600 €, but he has certificate from official boutique and also the box. But I'm not sure about it, because the second one hasn't box.

I call him and he told that he resell it for his friend who get it as a gift. He was able to meet with me in original seller and take it under control.

My worries:

He sell a two pieces set and has only one box and he sent me these creepy photos - ok, it happens. But I'm newbie in "MB" business, so I need your opinions about this deal. Many thanks for any reply and sorry for my bad English.

http://nsm08.casimages.com/img/2016/12/14//16121401345511653914706422.png

http://nsm08.casimages.com/img/2016/12/14//16121401344211653914706421.png

http://nsm08.casimages.com/img/2016/12/14//16121401351011653914706423.png

Edited by 512TR

• 7 months later...

I've recently won a purchase / bid on e-Bay and bought myself a MB Meisterstuck ballpoint pen...

Trying to figure out if it is genuine or not...

The barrel does shine reddish/violet colour under heavy light... the feeling of the pen is not cold (as in metal ones) and when you knock on the material it creates don't know how to say it.. plastic sound?

I have a question about the cap - where is the screw supposed to be and where the hole? I can post some pics later...

Hi!

Usually I will use a very good close up magnifier, those used by jewellers to check on the diamond and precious stones. With this close up , shine a powerful bright torch at area around the nib. I am sure it will show very clearly the bad details of a fake pen. Its difficult to see these bad areas with our naked eyes.

This is how I check on fake items.

kaikeong

There is more to see on a fake Montblanc than just the nib....

There is more to see on a fake Montblanc than just the nib....

I haven't read all 7 pages, so sorry if I'm repeating this.... But traveling to China and shopping through China Town NYC, it's pretty simple to tell a fake, even a good one (if there's such a thing), a fake has several gives, 1. The cartridge 2. The ball point - Rollerball refill is never Mont Blanc or MB ready, 3. The Star on the lid always looks shabby, 4. The serial code is not on the clip, 5. The pen clip is cheap as hell, 6. You can screw off the top of the lid and take the clip off. .7 The Rings don't say Mont Blanc... 8. The resin, isn't resin..... and obviously the nib doesn't have the standard MB markings.

I have never seen a fake without any of the things listed above. When in China or even NYC, as a goof I would shop purposely for a fake with refills and MB Cartridge in pocket. I did by a dozen ballpoint fakes for $20.00, that looked pretty good, I used them around the office years ago... took parker refills.

On a side note, I bought my wife a fake Coach bag once... she didn't like the gold trim, so without me knowing she went back to the Coach store and exchanged it for one with silver trim... Leather bags are a lot easier to fake, than MB pens.

• 1 month later...

I have recently acquired a 149 which I'm confident is genuine but appears to be something of an anomaly according to the dating chart elsewhere in this site.

The pen has the following characteristics:

• 18K tri colour nib with STOD
  • Late black plastic feed with "2" near the grip
  • 2 section barrel
  • "Germany" on the clip ring
  • A serial number on the clip ring
  • "Pix" on the cap band and under the clip
  • Black plastic filler threads, not brass

Some things such as the black plastic filler threads point to 1990 or earlier while other things such as the nib, feed and "Pix" on the band and clip point to a later pen.

My best guess is that is is a pre-1990 pen which has been refurbished and perhaps has inherited a newer cap.

It's the earlier plastic rather than the later brass filler threads which is most confusing.

Andy sang as he watched and waited 'til his billy boiled ...

(With apologies to Andrew Barton "Banjo" Paterson)

Guys, I need your help.

It looks good, but I'm not sure.

Thanks for any advise.

It looks fine to me. Has it got the shiny black cover over the feed?

• 1 month later...
post-139849-0-84787100-1510117175_thumb.jpg
post-139849-0-59462600-1510117151_thumb.jpg
post-139849-0-84287200-1510117131_thumb.jpg
post-139849-0-84287200-1510117131_thumb.jpg
post-139849-0-59028000-1510117100_thumb.jpg
post-139849-0-32824800-1510117021_thumb.jpg
post-139849-0-03181900-1510116980_thumb.jpg
post-139849-0-55525700-1510116950_thumb.jpg
post-139849-0-06890300-1510116926_thumb.jpg
post-139849-0-81326800-1510116907_thumb.jpg
post-139849-0-69135600-1510116896_thumb.jpg
post-139849-0-40286800-1510116848_thumb.jpg
post-139849-0-56802000-1510116870_thumb.jpg
post-139849-0-07235800-1510116883_thumb.jpg

i have three meisterstuck pens not sure of value or even if they are real. have pics and numbers any help would be appricated. the big gold one has numbers MK105044 and a stamp on face with 925 takes a fine tip mb legrand rollerball refill 910 screw on cap. the black with gold stripes has number WL1009395 with medium mb rollerball refill 310 clip on cap. the black one has numbers KK1630909 with medium mb rollerball refill nov 09 with clip on cap thanks for any help

Edited by Debbieshoemaker

i have three meisterstuck pens not sure of value or even if they are real. have pics and numbers any help would be appricated. the big gold one has numbers MK105044 and a stamp on face with 925 takes a fine tip mb legrand rollerball refill 910 screw on cap. the black with gold stripes has number WL1009395 with medium mb rollerball refill 310 clip on cap. the black one has numbers KK1630909 with medium mb rollerball refill nov 09 with clip on cap thanks for any help

Please post pictures as we can't help without seeing the pens.

I haven't read all 7 pages, so sorry if I'm repeating this.... But traveling to China and shopping through China Town NYC, it's pretty simple to tell a fake, even a good one (if there's such a thing), a fake has several gives, 1. The cartridge 2. The ball point - Rollerball refill is never Mont Blanc or MB ready, 3. The Star on the lid always looks shabby, 4. The serial code is not on the clip, 5. The pen clip is cheap as hell, 6. You can screw off the top of the lid and take the clip off. .7 The Rings don't say Mont Blanc... 8. The resin, isn't resin..... and obviously the nib doesn't have the standard MB markings.

I have never seen a fake without any of the things listed above. When in China or even NYC, as a goof I would shop purposely for a fake with refills and MB Cartridge in pocket. I did by a dozen ballpoint fakes for $20.00, that looked pretty good, I used them around the office years ago... took parker refills.

On a side note, I bought my wife a fake Coach bag once... she didn't like the gold trim, so without me knowing she went back to the Coach store and exchanged it for one with silver trim... Leather bags are a lot easier to fake, than MB pens.

I bought a fake MB 145 a couple of years back. It cost me $13 from a well known Chinese on line seller. I have to say, at first glance, it looked like the real thing. The star was perfect. The finish was pretty good and all parts were interchangeable with a genuine 145 that I have. It passed the "red glow" test. (I have always thought that that test is a little suspect given that acrylic is acrylic no matter what MB calls it). It was only when I looked closely that the evidence became clear. The converter was marked Mont Blanc not Montblanc and was push fit, not screw. The nib, from the top, looked genuine with all the correct markings, however the reverse was silver coloured and nearly pulled the magnet out my hand when I tested it. 14k gold doesn't tend to do that in my experience. I only bought the pen to see what to expect from a fake and I have to say it was a very good one. I can't condone that sort of false selling but I have to say that, if it wasn't masquerading as something else, it would be a very good pen for $13. It writes quite well, but a MB it is not.

Peter