Tips on How to spot a fake Mont Blanc

kavanagh

A client just back from holidays in Thaïland brought me a present : on a market, he saw that Montblanc Greta Garbo and remembered I was a Fountain pen addict so he bought it for me .... He told me that they had plenty of Montblanc pens (and watches) at a near to zero price ....

I didn't test it yet but I will soon ..... And, yes, you guessed it .... It's a cheap fake .....

fpn_1434105016__montblanc_greta_garbo_fa

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Chrissy

• Matlock

• jduz1

• Tom Kellie

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi, I have bought a meisterstuk classique platinum rollerball on ebay. All identification signs are present ie serial number, red glow on barrel, fit perfectly original mont blanc refills. There is a Pix sign on underneath of clip but I am not convinced.... I have attached a photo can you give me your opinion. If anyone has the same model can he send me its weight as it feels slightly light.

Thanks

post-123492-0-82311600-1434861859.jpg

Hi, I have bought a meisterstuk classique platinum rollerball on ebay. All identification signs are present ie serial number, red glow on barrel, fit perfectly original mont blanc refills. There is a Pix sign on underneath of clip but I am not convinced.... I have attached a photo can you give me your opinion. If anyone has the same model can he send me its weight as it feels slightly light.

Thanks

The red glow is a 'red herring', if you will excuse the pun. I have a $13 fake that shows the glow and a genuine 149, bought from MB, that does not.

Peter

A client just back from holidays in Thaïland brought me a present : on a market, he saw that Montblanc Greta Garbo and remembered I was a Fountain pen addict so he bought it for me .... He told me that they had plenty of Montblanc pens (and watches) at a near to zero price ....

I didn't test it yet but I will soon ..... And, yes, you guessed it .... It's a cheap fake .....

Fake Greta Garbo pens are usually very easy to spot. They don't have a heart shaped hole in their steel nibs.

Both my Meisterstück Le Grand 161 ballpoint and Heritage 1912 does have that red 'glow' under very bright light though.

Lamy 2000 FP, PP, BP, MFP & RB. Mont Blanc Meisterstück 161 Le Grand Platinum BP & Heritage 1912 FP.

Thanks

Sorry it's impossible to tell a fake pen from an authentic pen just by looking at a picture of a clip

Fake Greta Garbo pens are usually very easy to spot. They don't have a heart shaped hole in their steel nibs.

Just !!! I noticed it, moreover, the pearl is not correctly glued and the total weight is very far from a real Montblanc .....

Hi all,

I'm new here and would appreciate your help. I've just received a Montblanc Meisterstuck ballpoint pen purchased on eBay and I'm concerned it might be a fake. Here are a few things I've noted:

1. The clip has "GERMANY" centered on it.

2. There is no serial number.

3. The word "pix" does not appear anywhere on the pen.

4. The tip unscrews to reveal a spring mechanism -- I'm not sure whether this is normal.

5. When focusing a flashlight through one of the parts of the barrell, the resin appears to give off a red color.

Here are some pictures:

post-123615-0-30169500-1435441514.jpgpost-123615-0-79023200-1435441513.jpgpost-123615-0-31313300-1435441513.jpgpost-123615-0-81725000-1435441512.jpgpost-123615-0-29116600-1435441512.jpg

I am by no means an expert but the pen sure looks like an authentic Montblanc. The spring should be attached the way your photo shows it.

This is a used pen, not a brand new pen, correct? Because not all pens made had the serial number nor the pix logo.

I am sure other will chime in with answers to you question.

I am by no means an expert but the pen sure looks like an authentic Montblanc. The spring should be attached the way your photo shows it.

This is a used pen, not a brand new pen, correct? Because not all pens made had the serial number nor the pix logo.

I am sure other will chime in with answers to you question.

Thanks for your time and opinion. I hope you're right! Yes, it's used. The seller is not sure of the date of manufacture, but said he assumed 1990s.

I've contacted the Seller with my concerns and he is certain that it's real, but he's being accommodating and has said he'll allow me to return it if I choose to do so. I don't want to initiate a return or ask for a reduction in price if I really do have the genuine article. Happy to hear more opinions, of course!

No problem, hopefully other will contribute their thoughts also, in the end I feel you will be happy because I believe this is an authentic pen. Of course I can in no way guaranty that.

The O-ring is the black ring at the right hand end of twist mechanism.

This pen is interesting for a couple reasons. No serial number, yet the engraving says Germany, not West Germany. There is a topic that shows a similar pen and says that those with West Germany and a serial number are transition pens - the serial numbering started around about the time of the reunification of Germany. So, this pen is also a transition pen, but the 'other way round' and therefore the engraving of the clip could have been two processes at that time. First the country, then the serial number, or vice versa.

The twist mechanism is different to the modern variety.

I have just discovered that my more modern 164 has an inner sleeve to the barrel. It pushes onto a knurled extension of the brass point, behind the threads. This one does not have that.

You don't know what you need until you realise you haven't got it.

The O-ring is the black ring at the right hand end of twist mechanism.

This pen is interesting for a couple reasons. No serial number, yet the engraving says Germany, not West Germany. There is a topic that shows a similar pen and says that those with West Germany and a serial number are transition pens - the serial numbering started around about the time of the reunification of Germany. So, this pen is also a transition pen, but the 'other way round' and therefore the engraving of the clip could have been two processes at that time. First the country, then the serial number, or vice versa.

The twist mechanism is different to the modern variety.

I have just discovered that my more modern 164 has an inner sleeve to the barrel. It pushes onto a knurled extension of the brass point, behind the threads. This one does not have that.

Very, very interesting. Do you think the pen may be counterfeit? What would you do: I purchased it for an all in price of $137. The seller says I can return it for a full refund or they're willing to give me a partial refund of $35 to make my total price $102. I bought a new refill and it fits perfectly in the pen.

I think it is very unlikely to be counterfeit. The price you paid is about right though maybe a little on the high side in my opinion, but not over the top. As long as the twist mechanism works well and the refill does not push back into the pen when you write with a little pressure, it should serve you well.

Now lets see what the next Montblanc you buy will be ... maybe a fountain pen?

You don't know what you need until you realise you haven't got it.

I think it is very unlikely to be counterfeit. The price you paid is about right though maybe a little on the high side in my opinion, but not over the top. As long as the twist mechanism works well and the refill does not push back into the pen when you write with a little pressure, it should serve you well.

Now lets see what the next Montblanc you buy will be ... maybe a fountain pen?

I'm embarrassed to say that I've never written with a fountain pen. They intrigue me and I just bought a cheap disposable varsity pen so I can try playing with figuring out how to hold it and the amount of pressure required before I make the leap into a "real" pen. I'm definitely working my way towards that goal, though!

Very, very interesting. Do you think the pen may be counterfeit? What would you do: I purchased it for an all in price of $137. The seller says I can return it for a full refund or they're willing to give me a partial refund of $35 to make my total price $102. I bought a new refill and it fits perfectly in the pen.

I just pulled mine apart and believe yours to look genuine, I do have pix and a serial number, although was purchased early 2000's.