Howdy From Winslow, Az

McQ

Howdy from the high desert.

I am a returning fountain pen user with a couple of nice pens and lots of questions.

I actually began with a pen and inkwell in 2nd grade at St. Rose of Lima in Chula Vista, CA.

Before the end of the 1st semester we were using Schaeffer cartridge fountain pens. I used

one all through Junior High School and High School in the '60s.

I now have 4 fountain pens, a wooden pen of unknown provenance, a sterling silver Parker, a titanium

Cross, and a Libelle - probably some kind of translucent green plastic.
I use cartridges in all but the Libelle. Because I have no idea what kind of cartridges might work with it. It was a gift from my now deceased mother and came from her collection with no instructions or accouterments. The Libelle is a fairly fat-bodies pen with a screw on cap. It has a screw-in/out reservoir, which I presume may be removed like the other pens. It is my favorite writing instrument, so I have used about 1/2 bottle of ink in the past month and gotten a fair amount on my fingers, especially as the bottle empties.
I have been unable to find any information on the pen online (maintenance/operating instructions etc.)
Can anyone tell me if the refillable reservoir is replaceable with cartridges?
Perhaps, suggest what type of cartridge might fit in the Libelle pen?
Is there any particular method to be used in removing the reservoir?
- I really don't want to do any damage to the instrument! I'd rather continue with the permanently stained digits.
Thanks,
Fran McHugh
Winslow, AZ

post-104654-0-64188300-1370647045_thumb.jpg

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• McQ

• PAKMAN

• RMN

• GabrielleDuVent

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That's a converter, from the looks of it. You can replace it with a cartridge (in fact, pens usually come without converters, and we have to pay to get them... unless the seller is feeling nice). Although I'd have to pitch in my own biased opinion and say that converters allow you to use more varieties of inks in general, since more inks come bottled than in cartridges.

I believe any Standard international would do the job (and I've never seen a Libelle cartridge). You can find them anywhere where they sell fountain pens.

To remove the converter, generally one just pulls it out, just as one might remove the cartridge.

Glad to have you here, and welcome to the FPN! Hope you enjoy your stay.

Edited by GabrielleDuVent

Tes rires retroussés comme à son bord la rose,

Effacent mon dépit de ta métamorphose;

Tu t'éveilles, alors le rêve est oublié.

-Jean Cocteau, from Plaint-Chant, 1923

Hello and Welcome to FPN!! Glad to have you as a member!!

Standing on the corner... such a fine sight to see! - Bet you're tired of that one!

The converter in the Libelle should just pull stright out but some like that thread in. But it is definately removable. A "international short" cartridge should fit.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Thanks to both Gabrielle and pakmanpony.

I found some in the drawer that look a lot like the images online. They indicate they are for Mont Blanc, Pelikan, and others. Would these be likely to be compatible?

I do appreciate the much wider variety available in bottled ink and will probably invest in some of the same, but I am writing a lot and need the convenience. I'm trying to make sure they all get regular use, so that I don't have to do extensive cleaning again, but I really prefer the feel and nib of the Libelle.

Edited by McQ

Hi McQ and welcome

Yes, the Montblanc and Pelikan carts are the short international standard type. In fact many many brands use these.

Your Parker and Cross, though, use their own type (proprietary) cartridges that won't fit in other brands.

Strangely, the Parker Ballpoint refill has become an internationa standard, while the Parker fountainpen carts definitely are not standard.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

Hi Fran. Greetings from northern California and a warm welcome to FPN. It's great to have you here with us.

"Intolerance betrays want of faith in one's cause." - Gandhi -

Welcome !

It was seventh grade when I got my first Sheaffer cartridge pen. I was transparent plastic, with a chrome cap.

(I guess I am a few years older than you are.) In those days, we never thought of "flushing" a fountain pen.

So, they got clogged and ruined and thrown away.

I have an ordinary Parker pen, given to me by a man, who was like a second dad. I also have several

heirloom fountain pens. Know that I revere the pen from your mother very highly. Let's keep it in service.

I suspect that it is "cemented" with dried ink. DON'T FORCE ANYTHING.

Soak in room-temp water for a couple of days. If the converter comes off, soak the inside with water.

Dried ink forms a cement and forcing things to move will cause breakage. Water will, eventually re-liquefy

the dried ink.

Soak. Flush under a slow stream of water. Repeat until overnight soaking produced only clear water.

Dry thoroughly. Use a piece of paper towel to "wick" out residual water.

NOW, install a cartridge.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Hi! Welcome to FPN. :W2FPN:
I'm really glad you've joined us.

Keep in touch,

Kota Adachi

From Japan

"Standing in a corner in Winslow, Arizona... got a world of trouble on my mind.." Oops, sorry. ;) It's a great Eagles song. :D

I can't help with your questions but wanted to welcome you and say how lovely that pen is.

:W2FPN:

~April

One ought, every day at least, to hear a little song, read a good poem,

see a fine picture, and, if it were possible, to speak a few reasonable words.

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

I use cartridges in all but the Libelle. Because I have no idea what kind of cartridges might work with it.

Perhaps, suggest what type of cartridge might fit in the Libelle pen?

I have that exact pen, I believe, looking at your photo. I use a Parker converter in mine (per Fountain Pen Hospital) and it works well. So I think the Parker cartridges should work pretty well, too.

MP