Namiki Falcon With Left Footed Oblique Nib

johnjayalvaro

There are so many reviews of the Namiki Falcon out there, so for this review I want to focus on the custom nib by Mottishaw. A couple of words of praise for Mottishaw and his people at nibs.com. They held my hand the whole way, worked through one exchange because I ordered the wrong kind of pen for the writing I was hoping for, and rushed the job so I could have it before John went on vacation. Everyone is very hot on his Spencerian grind right now, but I am glad I listened to him about the oblique grind. It is very nice for my handwriting.

This is also my first review, so let me know what I have left out that you want to know. I am posting two images. One is the pen right after I received it, and the next is after a week or so with it. I have heard that the nib loosens up on the flex after use. It may be the case, or I may just be used to how hard I can ride the nib and still control it. Both reviews are written with the standard Namiki black cartridge. The converter options (Con-50 and Con-20) are pretty small and kind of messy for so little payoff, so I just use cartridges and then refill them with my favorite inks.

post-71430-0-13297000-1370694138_thumb.jpgpost-71430-0-57777900-1370694148_thumb.jpg

And here are some pictures of the nib.

post-71430-0-34782800-1370628249.jpgpost-71430-0-45944300-1370628261.jpg

Edited by johnjayalvaro

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• johnjayalvaro

• ethernautrix

• leftside

• Edwaroth

You bring up an excellent issue about everyone being on the "Spencerian" band wagon. It is a beautiful script in my eyes AND perhaps we could spend more time experimenting on our own to create a more unique writing style rather then simply becoming an excellent copyist.

Thank you for sharing a little about the road you took and how you have chosen to write in your own style.

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

I am a side push leftie...I wonder if that oblique in fine would work for me. Nibs.com you say...

I am a side push leftie...I wonder if that oblique in fine would work for me. Nibs.com you say...

My dad is a leftie, but not sure if he is a side push. I will let him try it and see what he says.

Edited by johnjayalvaro

You bring up an excellent issue about everyone being on the "Spencerian" band wagon. It is a beautiful script in my eyes AND perhaps we could spend more time experimenting on our own to create a more unique writing style rather then simply becoming an excellent copyist.

Thank you for sharing a little about the road you took and how you have chosen to write in your own style.

I have such mixed emotions about the spencerian handwriting. I even started the journey to this pen with an extra fine Falcon that I returned because I could not get the line right. There is real value in getting back to basics of letter forms as a way to improve your handwriting. There seem to be two sides to handwriting. One is the art of it, which spencerian helps grasp, while the other is personal communication. Of course the goal is for both of these to come together. I know that my personal handwriting will not change much, even with tons of practice. I am attached to certain letterforms nostalgically. The way my father wrote his uppercase "J" will always be the way I write mine. For that reason I knew that I wanted a nib that was in service to my writing style while also pushing me to pay closer attention. The sharpness of the nib and the angle of attack force me to slow down. If you watch TheImmovableMover youtube video of the spencerian Falcon, it makes a good case for that grind for those who can handle it. I listened to Mottishaw who listened to my needs, and have the best pen for it.

Edited by johnjayalvaro

• 2 weeks later...

Same here. I've never tried my hand at a stub or oblique nib because I just naturally assume that they'll be terrible for lefty handwriting. Hmm.

• 1 month later...

Just as an update to my review, after using this pen for a while now, I have to say that the grind by Mottishaw is simply perfect. It has a good tooth to it, and it my favorite for letter writing. I have since gotten two pens modified by Pendleton, and will post reviews soon of those. Also great, but more for every day.

I missed your review when you first posted it. What a great review! I love the illustrations. Glad the LO nib is working out so nicely.

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.