Seals

HedgeMage

Good sealing wax (both traditional waxes and more modern alternatives) seem easy enough to find, but I haven't yet made the jump because I can't find a seal that I like. Most shops (online and otherwise) seem to feature the same ten or so kind of boring seal designs. I can't afford fancy custom work, so I'm hoping someone can point me to an in-between: someplace that has a good variety of seals to choose from.

Any advice/assistance would be appreciated.

--Susan

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Octo

• HedgeMage

• iamchum

• enchiridion

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.ateliergargoyle.com/index.html

^ atelier gargoyle wax is the bomb!

http://www.notemaker.com.au/search?q=seals

^ cheap seals, but not custom made, and also the imprints are a bit generic and not very deeply carved, but... get's the job done ;)

My two best writers.

http://s2.postimg.org/v3a1772ft/M1000_Black_L_R.jpg..........http://img802.imageshack.us/img802/1217/85960889.png

.........I call this one Günter. ......... I call this one Michael Clarke Duncan.

I have a few vintage ones with my initials (which in a family is quite common even when first names are different: Leopold, Leon, Louis, Luc, Lode...) but I seem to do something wrong since lacquer always get stuck in my seals. Only a set with an electric wax gun for kids seems to work buth that was is oily and soapy.

So any advice on using it would very appreciated.

bye

Lode

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
www.bermond.be

I got my seal from www.letterseals.com and am very satisfied. They do custom work as well.

As for wax, look for supple wax like those offered by Atelier Gargoyle or J. Herbin if you want it to survive the postal system.

enchiridion, on 07 Jun 2013 - 10:33, said:
I have a few vintage ones with my initials (which in a family is quite common even when first names are different: Leopold, Leon, Louis, Luc, Lode...) but I seem to do something wrong since lacquer always get stuck in my seals. Only a set with an electric wax gun for kids seems to work buth that was is oily and soapy.
So any advice on using it would very appreciated.

bye
Lode

Have you tried putting a moisture barrier between the wax and the seal? I huff onto the seal a couple of times before stamping it and find it prevents the wax from sticking to the seal.

EDIT: added quote.

Edited by mAnuscript69

some have ordered from here in the past:

http://www.nostalgicimpressions.com/Wax_Seals_Stamps_s/2.htm

not associated & your millage may vary

+1 I've had good luck here. They have a good selection and seem reasonably priced to me.

"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special."-Jim Valvano

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem."-Ronald Reagan

You can design your own and have it made inexpensively by www.mustom.com (formerly redcomma.net) There's a pinned topic in this section that will lead to a review of the company. They were easy to deal with and answered all questions quickly.

Just realized the post above may seem rude. I didn't intended it that way at all. I got my stamp from redcomma because of an excellent post by Kiavonne, who also gave me advice by PM. I am pleased with the seal. In my case, all engraving is one depth, but width variation provides interest. They can't compare to Dexter seals, but then, neither does the cost.

Incidentally, I use wine bottle wax for seals. When it is melted, it is thin and must be cooled a bit before being applied to the envelope or it will run. The seal is thin but a bit flexible and seems to go through the mail well. However, it will not give the height nor crispness of real sealing wax. I learned about it from another poster.

One additional path to try would be wiccan and pagan sites, as they offer stationery and journals (they call them grimoires) and some do offer a variety of wax seals. Not an overly large selection, to be sure, but possibly a design or two that won't be at letterseals or nostalgic impressions.

What kind of design appeals to you? Celtic, Oriental, plants, animals, letters?