Nice Cheap Common Notebook/lined Paper

circlepattern

Hi guys,

I'm looking for paper that is lined and could be classified as "school use". My only complain with my current composition books is that they bleed and feather the heck out of me. It didn't originally bother me, but eventually it got so bad that I went back to ballpoints for a while.

Another major concern is that I'm not a fancy person, I go through paper very quickly so I don't want to get the expensive paper like Rhodia or some other fancy brand.

So any suggestions?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• circlepattern

• ac12

• TSherbs

• DanF

Top Posters In This Topic

Muji notebooks aren't too expensive. Even their lower-end notebooks (you can check the paper reviews for my review) perform pretty well.

If you live near a Giant food store, you could attempt their Smart Living notebooks (the review is also in the paper reviews section).

I just received two casebound Black n' Red books and they're phenomenal but a bit pricey.

Thanks for the very prompt suggestion! But I wonder, any common paper, (mead/papermate/staple) that also performs decently?

Thanks for the very prompt suggestion! But I wonder, any common paper, (mead/papermate/staple) that also performs decently?

I've had decent luck with Staples multipurpose copy paper, but that's blank paper.

If you're getting lined paper to avoid messy handwriting, you could buy fp friendly copy paper by the ream and use lined paper beneath the copy paper to act as a guide (this is what I do for my notetaking at home).

I second the Brazil paper. I've experienced Brazil paper once (I awkwardly asked a friend for his sheet of paper...he asked what for and I said I wanted to test my pens on it and he just looked at me weirdly...) and it worked fine for the price of the notebook. There was a bit of bleedthrough, but perfectly suitable for writing on both sides of the sheet.

I have no idea what makes Brazilian paper so fp friendly...sugarcane use? I dunno.

I'll give them a shot, I don't mind bleed NEARLY as much as feathering. Seeing my words sprout "roots" everywhere just drives me total nuts.

Look in Dollar stores for comp books made in BRAZIL.

+1 the Brazilian paper. I don't know why it is better, but it is smoother and does not feather nearly as much. It does ghost pretty heavily, though, so I still only use one side of the page with most fountain pens.

Check out this thread from late last summer, especially the comments about the Brazilian stock.

Staples Brand Filler Paper - Check It Out! - Paper and Pen Paraphernalia - The Fountain Pen Network

Brazilian Norcom composition books can often be found at Walmart, especially in late summer, for great prices in the back to school sales.

Dan

"Life is like an analogy" -Anon-

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l279/T-Caster/DSC_0334_2.jpg

I find that Mead Five Stars handle most pens and inks surprisingly well. Only the wettest writer will show thru. I've had mixed results with Staples notebooks. Walmart composition books, labelled Norcom, made in Brazil handle pens extremely well for a cheap pad.

Thanks for the thread, I have a top flight 3-subject notebook and that is literally like writing on toilet paper.

Look in Dollar stores for comp books made in BRAZIL.

Or INDIA. Because both papers take fountain pen ink quite well.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

If there is a Daiso store near you they have cheap $2 notebooks which are either made in Japan or Korea depending on whats available for the day. The Korean ones are a bit meh, they have a bit of bleed through, but no feathering, the only thing you have to watch out for is slow drying of ink (must be the coating). If you find they have Japanese made ones though.... BUY THEM ALL........ They are terrific for $2. 40 pages, no bleed through, no feathering, dries fast. The ones I get are either plain white and yellow or blue (7mm and 8mm ruled lined) with grey binding.

My two best writers.

http://s2.postimg.org/v3a1772ft/M1000_Black_L_R.jpg..........http://img802.imageshack.us/img802/1217/85960889.png

.........I call this one Günter. ......... I call this one Michael Clarke Duncan.

• 1 month later...

I just got back from a shopping trip to look for cheap wide ruled notebooks.
I found 3 composition books, all were $1 each.
- Staples, made in Brazil
- Staples, made in Egypt
- Dollar Store, made in India

All 3 were smooth, buy the India made comp book has the smoothest paper, as felt under a F tip.
I think I found my FP notebook. :-)

ALL the wire bound notebooks that I looked at felt rougher, including the Mead 5 star.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

AC12, after you start using, please report back your results.

Id love to hear that the Staples brand does not bleed thru or show thru heavily.

I just picked up a crate (24) wide ruled, norcom notebooks, they bleed horribly (I currently plan to relocate their purpose into non-FP), but heck, they were only 17 cents each.

Edit: I forgot to mention the annoyingly large amount of feathering.

Edited by circlepattern

I just picked up a crate (24) wide ruled, norcom notebooks, they bleed horribly (I currently plan to relocate their purpose into non-FP), but heck, they were only 17 cents each.

Edit: I forgot to mention the annoyingly large amount of feathering.

with Norcom, you have to make sure they are made in Brazil - they may be mixed in the same box, so you might still have some usable ones in there.

"Life is like an analogy" -Anon-

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l279/T-Caster/DSC_0334_2.jpg

with Norcom, you have to make sure they are made in Brazil - they may be mixed in the same box, so you might still have some usable ones in there.

I looked at their website, the once you have experienced must be from a long time ago, currently Norcom boasts their "American made paper".

However, I did find that with a EF Asain nib it write near perfect, little feathering but still show through (although not bleeding through like the thicker nibs).

AC12, after you start using, please report back your results.

Id love to hear that the Staples brand does not bleed thru or show thru heavily.

I find staple's to be just as bad as Norcom.