Why Do You Use A Fountain Pen?

GabrielleDuVent

616 members have voted

1. 1. Why do you use a fountain pen?

• It makes me look cool/posh/cultured.
    • I have weak writing pressure.
    • To improve penmanship.
    • Upholding tradition.
    • In the loving memory of someone close to me.
    • I'm tired of donating money to Bic/PaperMate.
    • The variety of ink colours.
    • I do calligraphy.
    • Other (list them in the forum posts!).

I love the way they write both on a physically visual and sensual level and from the idea that such pleasure can arise from the simplicity behind the mechanical theory of how they work. I find the whole idea of a nib, feed, ink channel to be both crudely simple and yet sublime. Each compenent doing its part to create something more wonderous and dear than any of them alone. I also find it sad that in the evolution of pens economy, the profane, won over enjoyment, the profound.

Edited by remaker

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GabrielleDuVent

• pajaro

• jar

• jetsam

Mostly because of the ease of writing and the variety of ink colours. I have something of a death grip from years of using ballpoint pens, and using fountain pens has completely retrained how I write. I can now write for loads and loads of pages when it used to hurt after two, and my wrist will be completely fine afterwards (I remember writing papers in school and having wrist and finger pains for hours).

And all of the inks. I like all of the choice for inks.

And the environmental-friendliness of it, too, since so little of the pen needs to be thrown out. Most of mine may need a new converter or replacement sac in a few years and that's it.

I'm writing an online serial thing. It's urban fantasy. And I have no idea how long it's going to run for.

i seam to write betting with them plus it writes with class, and i could never find a ball point that i really liked

Cheers

• 1 month later...

I think that fountain pens are much nicer to write with, and watching the ink dry is always fascinating. I also love changing inks, and every time I refill them it makes me feel as if I've accomplished something.

I use them because they make my handwriting look better and I actually write better with them. Specifically I come up with more ideas and better prose using a fountain pen. The fact that stopping the pen on paper leads to blotting or the pen drying out makes the ideas come faster and with more focus.

- They are aesthetically the better looking pen

- I enjoy the process of maintaining it

- I have a thing for vintage (or at least the idea of it)

- They become 'personal' with the variety of inks and nibs.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet

There are several reasons for me. The first is purely nostalgia. I first used a fountain pen at school and when I write with a fountain pen now I'm taken back to those halcyon days. I also love the ritual of using a fountain pen, I only use pens I can fill from bottled ink, personally I dislike cartridges, the ritual of opening a bottle of ink, smelling the ink, filling a pen with ink, cleaning the excess ink from the pen, getting ink on your fingers, closing the bottle. Then there's the aesthetics of writing with a fountain pen, the light reflecting off the nib, the pen to paper, the glossy wet ink turning matt as it dries... beautiful. And yes, I suppose I also like using a pen that is different to the hundreds of pens around me. In 99.9999% of situations I am the only person using a fountain pen and although few people comment, I do like being different in a world of 'sameness'.

Regards,

Kevin

• 1 month later...

I like fountain pens because they are cool, above all other things, and I like the aesthetics of them. I like the ink laying down on the paper and watching it dry. I also have chronic pain and very hypermobile joints so not having to bear down and having a thicker barrel keeps my joints happier and less likely to become tired and achy after writing. I'm a student and write many notes... and when I used to use a ball point, or even a felt tip pen, my hands and wrists would be so sore and tired after just 10 minutes of taking notes. Since switching to FPs, I am able to write notes comfortably for most of class.

Also, my handwriting became very horrible after many years of using computers and I think that writing is an important means of expression. Since switching to fountain pens, my handwriting and speed has greatly improved.

I don't think using a fountain pen makes me look cool or anything like that, but it feels cool. I like the feel of the instrument in my hand and the way the ink appears.

When I first heard of writing with a fountain pen, I thought "Didn't they go the way of the dodo?" But somehow I discovered Fountain Pen Hospital web site, and learned a bit of the truth. Fountain pens Live!

I was tired of buying replacement cartridges. One ballpoint I'd had for nearly ten years, I couldn't find replacement cartridges anymore. Then I used a Pilot G-2 rollerball for a few years. But buying cartridges was a pain. The nearest office supply store (big box style) is 45 minutes away.

Eventually on one of my trips to the city I stopped at FPH and bought a fountain pen. My original idea was for doing Tibetan calligraphy, but thought maybe get a regular pen first.

Now I love the fountain pen and have acquired a few others… And so it goes.

First, I'm old enough to have attended elementary school in one of the last US school systems that required students to learn to use a fountain pen (it was a particularly conservative part of the country). And even they dropped the requirement between me and my younger sister, 3 years behind me in school.

Second, having learned it, I never managed to make a successful transition to ball points, rollerballs, or gel pens.

Third, even when I was a lot younger, for too many reasons to go into, I had intermittent problems with stiffness and pain or cramping in my hands and a well-adjusted fountain pen minimized hand problems - which was part of why I could never quite transition to other types of pens.

Fourth, I learned early that the easy writing of good fountain pens, with lots of different colors of ink, and different colors and feel of pens, stimulated both retention of info and creative thought - which have been important processes both for my career and my avocations. Sometime, just switching which pen I'm holding gives better results on a problem I'm pondering.

Fifth, I like the pretty colors of ink.

Sixth, I like pretty pens.

Seventh, I don't like the waste of throwaway things.

I may come up with more after a while, but that's a good start.

I finally came up with another reason, nine months after my first post with most of my list of reasons ;-)

Eighth, I realized this weekend that I'm never tempted to chew on the ends of my fountain pens the way I sometimes do with cheap writing implements - although cheap is a slippery concept here, because one of my pens I bought for $3 and a couple more came free with orders from Fountain Pen Revolution.

1/ Because I enjoy writing with one.

2/ With a fountain pen, my fingers are higher up the pen, which means I get a better view of what is happening on the page.

3/ It "feels" right. It's a more comfortable writing experience than with a biro.

4/ I don't like the idea of disposable pens. Yes, they have a place, but surely something that can be reused for years is more environmentally friendly.

The reason I use fountain pens is my love for them but also I find they are less tiring to write with - perhaps I hold them differently and that makes me use less energy?

Well, I could say tradition but my Dad moved out of pen the moment he found the Biro, so it is not it.. I used Biro's for a good many years so weak pressure it ain't. It reminded me of my youth.. Probably that is why.. I moved from pencil to fountain pen at the tender age of seven and used it until I was eighteen.. Then Biro's for several years until woke up to the fact, I did indeed like those fiddly pens!!! Never ever until then I realised there could be so many inks or so many types of nibs..

But now I am more happy..

I'm quite surprised that there wasn't an option in the poll along the lines of

I enjoy writing with them (which is why I use them)

or even

I like the look of them

I'm quite surprised that there wasn't an option in the poll along the lines of

I like the look of them

But in that case, you can always put your pen in a glass case and never write with it.

Tes rires retroussés comme à son bord la rose,

Effacent mon dépit de ta métamorphose;

Tu t'éveilles, alors le rêve est oublié.

-Jean Cocteau, from Plaint-Chant, 1923

I'll admit, I started using fountain pens because I was drawn to the various inks I could have.

Then I discovered ink samples and realised I needed more pens to test these inks out. And while I shop for my pens, there's always one or two more ink samples that I ought to try out too. It's a never-ending vicious cycle.

I'd probably never pick up a fountain pen if it were not because of all those beautiful coloured inks out there.

After reading the replies on this thread, I share many aspects of fountain pens expressed by others. For me, it is an acquired taste which started about more than 5 years ago. I started with the MB 146, if I don't count low end Parkers I had when I was in the secondary school.

Precision engineering of fountain pens: I like the well engineered writing instruments with precision. Perfectly adjusted nibs and all.

Tactile feel: I like the feeling of the pen gliding over the paper effortlessly. Enjoy this feel while taking notes or signing papers. Killing 2 birds with one stone. Also, many of the high quality fountain pens are made of the materials which give that "quality feel" to your hands. So, I like how I feel the pens in my hands and how the pen "feels" the paper as the nib glides over on the fountain pen inks.

Inks: I can have my own color, so to speak. I don't mix inks; but, I have not seen a ball point pen or roller ball with Iroshizuku colors, to drive my point on this.

Owing and using my fountain pens are only for my own pleasure and purposes. I have no interest in "impressing" others that I don't use ball point pens or that I use fountain pens. I see no merit in showing off anything to anyone other than me. Of course, I keep myself presentable in private and business, without unnecessary show-off.

Edited by Pen2009

My collection: 149 EF/F/B/OBB, Collodi B/Twain F/Mann F, 146 M, Silver Barley F, M1000/M800 B'o'B/M800 Tortoise/Sahara/415 BT/215/205 Blue Demo, Optima Demo Red M/88 EF & Italic/Europa, Emotica, 2K/Safaris/Al-Stars/Vista, Edson DB/Carene BS, Pilot 845/823/742/743/Silvern/M90/Makies, Sailor Profit Realo M/KOP Makies/Profit Makies/Profit 21 Naginata MF&M/KOP/KOP Mosaiques/Sterling Silvers,Platinum #3776 Celluloids/Izumos/Wood pens/Sterling Silvers,YoL Grand Victorian, and more (I lost counting)

But in that case, you can always put your pen in a glass case and never write with it.

Unfortunately, many people do just that. I like the look of my pens, and use them all the time.

It is all about the feel -- nothing like a smooth flex nib gliding over a high quality piece of paper