Meeting Mr Lakshmana Rao Of Guider Pens (Rajahmundry, India) Again…Part 2-The Guider Super Jumbo In White Acrylic

shrujaya

Mr Lakshmana Rao showed me some more new creations...he had made new Jumbo models...some of you might remember the earlier Guider Jumbo...it was a black ebonite behemoth...ha ha ha (in case you don’t, here it is again)...but obviously, Mr Lakshmana Rao wanted to excel himself this time...and this time, there is a change in material too...the new bigger Jumbo is called the Super Jumbo...and it is in White Acrylic...as I had written earlier, Mr Lakshmana Rao had sent me photos of this Super Jumbo and I was smitten...and here I was sitting in front of the maker of this pen and holding the pen in my hands...I just couldn’t bear to keep the pen back in its box... Mr Lakshmana Rao obviously saw the gleam and longing in my eyes...

The pen is just marble white in colour...nice clean smooth lines...a black cap jewel and a steel arrow clip...just the kind of clip that would look good on this pen...and everything looked well fitted...I looked at the nib...it was not bespoke, but customised with ‘GUIDER FINE INDIA’ in three lines pressed on it and below this is a G inside a circle...the proof of the nib is in the writing, I said to myself...there was no ink there for me to try and test the smoothness of the nib...

The pen is really huge...I thought about the earlier black ebonite jumbo and imagined it to be of the same size as this one...mind plays tricks, doesn’t it? I mentioned this to Mr Lakshmana Rao and he assured me that the black ebonite jumbo is much smaller that this one and that this is the biggest pen he has created so far and he also said that he is considering sending details of this pen to one of those books of records to be considered for the ‘biggest pen’...anyway...that is another story...

I told Mr Lakshmana Rao that I wanted this white pen and he told me that since I had expressed my desire as soon as I saw the photos earlier, he would be happy to give me one...and the most interesting part is, he said he had made only two in White Acrylic and that I would be the first user of this new model... I really felt privileged...not only did I have a preview of this pen, I also got to own one of the first two pieces of this fabulous looking pen...

I just couldn’t wait to reach home and ink it up...somewhere I had this feeling that because of the translucency of the white acrylic, the barrel might darken as soon as I ‘filled’ it with ink...so I first wanted to take photos of the pen un-inked...after I took the pictures, I inked it...to be precise, I was actually able to ‘pour’ the ink into the barrel straight from the bottle!!! The mouth of the barrel is that wide...and the barrel did indeed darken...

And I finally ventured to write with this new pen... I was very pleased to see that the nib was smooth and the flow was even and the line was ‘fine leaning towards medium’...and a nice wet line... I was very happy...and now for the long term flow...

Most of the times, I write my blog posts I a diary and then type it out...gives me a chance to write with my fountain pens... I took this pen and started writing in my diary...the narrative of my meeting with Mr Lakshmana Rao (the previous Part 1 post)...and I just wrote on and on... I wrote close to eleven pages continuously to finish the first draft of that post!! The flow is superb...and the nib is smooth with a slight hint of tooth at a particular angle, which I like because that gives some grip... this post too I wrote with the Super Jumbo...close to eight pages continuously...no finger fatigue at holding the thick section...no wrist pain at holding the thick pen... the pen rests comfortably between the thumb and forefinger... I am not much of a post-er, but I did post and write...but un-posted is most comfortable for me...

Now for the vital statistics...the pen is 6 ½ inches capped; 5 ¾ inches uncapped and 7 ½ inches posted...and, the diameter of the barrel, measured just below the section, is 20.68 mm (my friend and colleague, Pavan, who teaches mathematics in our college, helped me with the formula [2πr = circumference] to find the diameter; and I also measured the thickness of the barrel with a screw gauge borrowed from the physics department...) ... really Super Jumbo...

I then thought why not compare sizes with the black jumbo which I had...only when I took out the black jumbo from its box did I realise how ‘impoverished’ it looked in comparison...ha ha ha...at that time, I had called the black jumbo the ‘Jumbo XXL!!!’ and had thought no pen could be bigger than the black ebonite jumbo...

Mr Lakshmana Rao never ceases to surprise...

Here are some photos...

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn280/bambli_mass/1GuiderSJWhite-capped_zpsb98c7822.jpg

The Guider Super Jumbo in White Acrylic – capped

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn280/bambli_mass/2GuiderSJWhite-uncapped_zps847d2556.jpg

The Guider Super Jumbo in White Acrylic – uncapped

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn280/bambli_mass/3GuiderSJWhite-posted_zps7366f19d.jpg

The Guider Super Jumbo in White Acrylic – posted

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn280/bambli_mass/4GuiderSJWhite-sectionnib_zps50f5cf9f.jpg

The Guider Super Jumbo in White Acrylic – section and nib

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn280/bambli_mass/5GuiderSJWhite-nibred_zps663ff686.jpg

Somehow the photo came out like this...I thought it looked awesome...

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn280/bambli_mass/6GuiderSJWhite-writingsample_zps360d134a.jpg

Writing sample...two pages from the first draft...

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn280/bambli_mass/7GuiderSJWhite-withguiderjumboblack_zpsd18e6f7f.jpg

Super Jumbo and ‘just’ Jumbo...

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn280/bambli_mass/8GuiderSJWhite-withMB146_zps24570b51.jpg

The Super Jumbo with MB 146...

Thanks for looking...more to share...

Shrujaya

Writing and posting about fountain pens exclusively on www.jaisiri.blogspot.in ... recent posts on Hema Pens (Hyderabad), Haul at Majestic (Bangalore), and Asoka Pens (Tenali)...

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hari317

• shrujaya

• terminal

• iSukhi

Thank you. I'm not into such large pens, but the color of the pen is very fine.

I think it would look much better with a longer wider clip..........if you could tell that to Mr Lakshmana Rao, For me the small clip distracts from the beauty of the color.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

• 1 month later...

Superb! are you carrying this to college?

I wanted to respond immediately, Hari, but something distracted me and I forgot...Yes...I carried it in my pocket to college for a couple of weeks and enjoyed writing with it...it is heavy and bulgy in the pocket though...invited curious stares from my colleagues...ha ha ha...it started raining here in Hyderabad and I stopped carrying it in my pocket, though I had it in my backpack as a back-up pen in case my trusted 146 ran out of ink...

Jai

Writing and posting about fountain pens exclusively on www.jaisiri.blogspot.in ... recent posts on Hema Pens (Hyderabad), Haul at Majestic (Bangalore), and Asoka Pens (Tenali)...

I wanted to respond immediately, Hari, but something distracted me and I forgot...Yes...I carried it in my pocket to college for a couple of weeks and enjoyed writing with it...it is heavy and bulgy in the pocket though...invited curious stares from my colleagues...ha ha ha...it started raining here in Hyderabad and I stopped carrying it in my pocket, though I had it in my backpack as a back-up pen in case my trusted 146 ran out of ink...

Jai

Thanks Jai, I hope I can visit Hyd soon and have a personal look at the Guider.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Just curious...but isn't the "arrow clip" a Parker trade mark?

Maybe 50 years ago...

But such registrations have a habit of expiring. I don't know the current status, but if it hasn't expired, Parker have more manufacturers to chase in China than in India.

Regards,

Richard

The clip does look a bit vestigial doesn't it. Seems like it wouldn't be of much use keeping the pen in your pocket.

"One always looking for flaws leaves too little time for construction" ...

The clip does look a bit vestigial doesn't it. Seems like it wouldn't be of much use keeping the pen in your pocket.

Why?

The common upper garment here is a Kurta, which has big pockets and many people also clip their pens to the placket. I think the clip is quite long and suited to the size of the pen.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Well, I mean, it's 3/4 the size of the one on the 146, and the 146 is a smaller pen.

Are you actually able to write with that, Shrujaya? I find even the Deccan Masterpiece to be a little too thick for me to use regularly.

Nice looking pen - the Deccan guys also make something like that, in a Masterpiece size (I was actually using it - or trying to use it, rather - a few days ago, hence my earlier comment).

True bliss: knowing that the guy next to you is suffering more than you are.

Well, I mean, it's 3/4 the size of the one on the 146, and the 146 is a smaller pen.

:D

I took a ruler and measured the clips on the image on my screen, 38mm for the Guider Vs 42mm for the Montblanc.

38mm is around 1.5inches I think enough do its job just fine. While I don't have the white pen that Jai shows, I do have some other Zimbos from Guider and their clips are all sufficiently functional. YMMV HTH.

Best

Hari

Ok maybe not. Perhaps is just hard to get a sense of scale for such a large pen.

Are you actually able to write with that, Shrujaya? I find even the Deccan Masterpiece to be a little too thick for me to use regularly.

Hi...de_pen_dent...I wrote a lot with this pen...and also carried it clipped to my pocket...here are two excerpts from two of my posts in this thread...

Most of the times, I write my blog posts in a diary and then type it out...gives me a chance to write with my fountain pens... I took this pen and started writing in my diary...the narrative of my meeting with Mr Lakshmana Rao (the previous Part 1 post)...and I just wrote on and on... I wrote close to eleven pages continuously to finish the first draft of that post!! The flow is superb...and the nib is smooth with a slight hint of tooth at a particular angle, which I like because that gives some grip... this post too I wrote with the Super Jumbo...close to eight pages continuously...no finger fatigue at holding the thick section...no wrist pain at holding the thick pen... the pen rests comfortably between the thumb and forefinger... I am not much of a post-er, but I did post and write...but un-posted is most comfortable for me...

and...in response to Hari's query...

Yes...I carried it in my pocket to college for a couple of weeks and enjoyed writing with it...it is heavy and bulgy in the pocket though...invited curious stares from my colleagues...it started raining here in Hyderabad and I stopped carrying it in my pocket, though I had it in my backpack as a back-up pen in case my trusted 146 ran out of ink...

Jai

Marvelous design and quite a pen!

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?

• 3 years later...

Where can I purchase guider pens? I have checked online but i havent yet come across any sites that stock guider. Please help. Im looking for Guider Torpedo

Where can I purchase guider pens? I have checked online but i havent yet come across any sites that stock guider. Please help. Im looking for Guider Torpedo

This is contact no of Mr. Laxman Rao, owner of Guider pens.

Guider - Lakshman Rao- 9390163779 -He is on WhatsApp

This is taken from following thread

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/281609-known-brands-contact-info-india-subcontinent-asia/

Why cant I see the images? Please help. It is saying please update your account to enable 3rd party hosting.

Photobucket, the picture hosting site, is now requesting for people to pay a fee (it was a free hosting site) to their photos hosted . Those who do not accept the new terms, have all their photos unavailable. That is why you cannot see them.

WomenWagePeace

SUPORTER OF http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/100x75q90/631/uh2SgO.jpg

My avatar is a painting by the imense surrealist painter Remedios Varo

Photobucket, the picture hosting site, is now requesting for people to pay a fee (it was a free hosting site) to their photos hosted . Those who do not accept the new terms, have all their photos unavailable. That is why you cannot see them.

so what should I do to see the photos which I cant see now?