Harlequin

Ok, I need the wisdom of the Sheaffer experts. I came across this while perusing an antique store recently. I did not get it, just took exceedingly crappy cell phone pics:

post-95904-0-73574900-1370040988.jpg

post-95904-0-91468400-1370040989_thumb.jpg

As you can see (I hope anyway, the pictures should be good enough to see this at least), the section is cracked to the point of missing a piece, right where the threads are. Normally I would say that means this pen is toast (at least the nib). But what I don't think can be seen as definitively or easily is that the nib is a stub. I know it is really difficult to remove an inlaid nib, but what are everyone's thought on trying a nib transplant to another pen? since this pen would cost me around $7 or so, I was thinking of trying to find another parts pen to take the nib section from and getting the two switched. Is it worth it?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OcalaFlGuy

• Harlequin

• JonSzanto

• whych

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You can't remove the nib. Period.

It might be possible to graft on a good threaded section donor piece but that would also involve getting the feed out of the section which isn't for the faint of heart.

Even that wouldn't make $ sense really unless maybe if it were a 14k Stub nib.

Bruce in Ocala, FL

Ok, I was thinking that may be the case. Now the question becomes this- if I can talk them down from $7 or 8, whichever it was actually marked, to say $5 or so, do you think it would be worth it to grab and use as is, even though it wouldn't be as secure as if the section had the full threads on it?

You don't mention whether it's a 14k gold nib or not.

If it's not, I definitely wouldn't bother. The remote chance that it's A 14K Ft. Madison stub is the only real point of possibly hopeful news.

I'm pretty sure it would leak all over you as it is now.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

BUT just think of the learning experience!! Even if it's a disaster, you will learn something for the next time.

Much Love--Virginia

If it is a White Dot pen, send it in to Sheaffer. They should replace the nib section under the lifetime waranty.

That's what they did when my section came apart.

BUT just think of the learning experience!! Even if it's a disaster, you will learn something for the next time.

Well, there's a big problem there.

I am no expert but I KNOW you cannot remove those nibs. (It is Possible to do but is so likely to ruin either the nib and/or section no pro will do it as a matter of usual practice. Sheaffer absolutely did not intend for the nib to ever come off the section.)

The issue with him doing the repair himself is that First, he needs a like section to obtain the donor piece from. He hasn't indicated he has such. Until he has That he doesn't have the necessary items to begin to attempt the repair. There certainly Is the chance he could find a donor section somewhere as there's plenty of pronged sections around somewhere that are otherwise useless.

The steel Stub nib sections show up now and then. The factory may even still have some. I think Ron may have some.

The 14k Ft. Madison stubs are something all together different. (Hence my question Twice on that...)

Bruce in Ocala, FL

Bruce, I had no intention of replacing it myself, lol. I would definitely send it to someone who is much more qualified to do so, once I found a suitable donor section as well. If it IS a 14K nib, will sheaffer actually still honor the lifetime warranty, if it is a white dot pen (I'm almost sure it is)?

I will go by tomorrow and take better pics of it, if it is still there (somehow I think it will be). Anything else I should try and get pics of, to help in identification, etc?

is the filling system and the leakage your only problem as if so, you can put a collar on the feed, and add a sheaffers or even better a thinner watermans convertor, i did this with my watermans, and its not a b/f any longer. I do get to use it. if you want too discuss this just message me, good luck with it.

" The race is not to the swift nor the battle to the strong. But time and chance happens to them all. Evil falls suddenly. Who can say when it falls? "

Ok, I was thinking that may be the case. Now the question becomes this- if I can talk them down from $7 or 8, whichever it was actually marked, to say $5 or so, do you think it would be worth it to grab and use as is, even though it wouldn't be as secure as if the section had the full threads on it?

That depends on whether the pen leaks, and how much you covet an inlaid stub nib. Bring a filled cartridge with you when you go back and ask to test out the pen. And take some better pictures so we can see the model of the pen (I'm guessing a steel-nibbed Imperial) and the extent of the damage. If the pen doesn't leak, you may be able to fill the void with some InstaMorph.

You can get an idea of what's involved with a nib transplant by checking out Flander's blog. You can ask Ron Zorn for an estimate (and if he will even do this work), and you may be able to pick up a donor unit from Peyton Street Pens. Each of these will cost several times the price of the pen.

If it IS a 14K nib, will sheaffer actually still honor the lifetime warranty, if it is a white dot pen (I'm almost sure it is)?

According to Sheaffer, the lifetime warranty applies to the original owner with proof of purchase. I have no idea how stringent they are in following that policy.

IMO, this would be a repair for Ron Zorn.

Bruce in Ocala, FL

From the body shape and what appears like sheaffer written on the barrel, looks like a Imperial TD of some sort, we will need cap pics to determine the model exactlly.

If it is the stub that you are after, you can very well use as a dip pen if no repair works, certainly 7USD is well spent for a nice stub nibbed dip pen?

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

(I'm guessing a steel-nibbed Imperial)

You can get an idea of what's involved with a nib transplant by checking out Flander's blog.

Actually his piece involves disassembly of the section Not Including removing the nib itself. From what can be seen in the pics so far, I'd also agree it looks most like a steel nib.

Bruce in Ocala, FL

Edited by OcalaFlGuy

For $7 or $8, you pick up the pen and fool around with it. What's the harm?

Edited by Koyote

Did Anyone say there was Any Harm? No, they didn't. :rolleyes:

(Though I'd surmise Most here Aren't in the habit of purposely Wasting money.)

He asked questions relative to getting the nib/that section back into fully usable condition again. THOSE Are the answers he's been given.

I presumed he wanted the Full and Correct answers to his questions including any and all possible Good And Bad news versus some field of pretty flowers and prancing unicorns answer with just the Happy Meal news.

Bruce in Ocala, FL

What model of pen is it?

"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809

Ok, I need the wisdom of the Sheaffer experts. I came across this while perusing an antique store recently. I did not get it, just took exceedingly crappy cell phone pics:

attachicon.gifPhoto120.jpg

attachicon.gifPhoto121.jpg

As you can see (I hope anyway, the pictures should be good enough to see this at least), the section is cracked to the point of missing a piece, right where the threads are. Normally I would say that means this pen is toast (at least the nib). But what I don't think can be seen as definitively or easily is that the nib is a stub. I know it is really difficult to remove an inlaid nib, but what are everyone's thought on trying a nib transplant to another pen? since this pen would cost me around $7 or so, I was thinking of trying to find another parts pen to take the nib section from and getting the two switched. Is it worth it?

I'd buy it and try filling in the missing piece. But that's just me.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

My thoughts exactly. I couldn't for the life of me figure out why going back and trying to get it for $5 would make a difference..

Harlequin, it is potentially a cool nib as a writer. Your pics *didn't* exactly make it easy to see the extent of the damage, but I realize it is hard with the cell phone. But even if it comes out as the ugliest Frankenpen in the world, if you would be able to assure yourself of no leaks withint the front part (the "hood", if you will) of the section where it is missing a chunk, you could get some very nice writing out of that nib. I have a number of the Sheaffer inlays, and they are across-the-board good writers. I don't have a stub, and I'd never pass that one up.

Especially not for such a teeny sum. Hell, you could pay for that collecting aluminum cans in an hour or so! :)

Go for it! Let the stub ride again!!

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Turn it into a dip pen if nothing else (covering the hole with some electrical tape to improve the "feel"...)

Sun%20Hemmi2.jpg

Turn it into a dip pen if nothing else (covering the hole with some electrical tape to improve the "feel"...)

Hmmm, interesting thought, but... With so little of the feed exposed, I've never had much success dipping this type of Sheaffer pen (for instance, when I first get one and just want to try the nib for a while before a full inking). That said, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin