What Do People Say To You When You Whip Out That Pen?

GabrielleDuVent

Common perceptions  

464 members have voted

1. 1. What do people say to you when you get out your FP?

• "My, that's a weird looking pen."
    • "That's a cool pen!"
    • "Is that a fountain pen?"
    • "Is that a weapon?"
    • "Can I borrow it?"
    • "Do you use fountain pens? I do too! (goes off into a monologue)"
    • "That's a very posh pen."
    • Other (write them in the posts!)

Can you kill someone with that thing?

-Ave María, grátia pléna, Dóminus técum. Benedícta tu in muliéribus, et benedíctus frúctus véntris túi, Iésus. Sáncta María, Máter Déi, óra pro nóbis peccatóribus, nunc et in hóra mórtis nóstrae. Amen.-

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GabrielleDuVent

• Lyander0012

• amberleadavis

• thedeacon

The other day i got asked by a fellow stoner if i was using a quill pen. Guess he was pretty close, it was a TWSBI Vac700.

From work clients it's normally something like 'I remember those' or 'oh our director uses that because he doesn't have to write much' because apparently hastily scribbled Biro notes are far easier to refer to than carefully written FP ones...

In her defense, I was using my vintage Pelikan 140 to correct an error in a paper I was writing....on my Smith Corona Sterling portable typewriter.

I don't know if I like you or hate you.

Actually I rarely have an FP out among the common people. Having read this thread I have prepared MY remark next time (if ever) someone whips one out on me.

Is this a dagger which I see before me,
The handle toward my hand? Come, let me clutch thee.
I have thee not, and yet I see thee still.
Art thou not, fatal vision, sensible
To feeling as to sight? or art thou but
A dagger of the mind, a false creation,
Proceeding from the heat-oppressed brain?
I see thee yet, in form as palpable
As this which now I draw.

In her defense, I was using my vintage Pelikan 140 to correct an error in a paper I was writing....on my Smith Corona Sterling portable typewriter.

Now that's serious stuff! Wow!!!

You do mean business! Wow!!!

I use fountain pens every day for note taking during lectures and people rarely ever notice. I think one person noticed (at least they were the only one to ever talk to me about it) and then it was only because I was playing with the flex in a noodlers creeper. I honestly sometimes wish more people would notice so that I could try to spread the joy of fountain pens.

Today I was writing with a ST Dupont Ellipsis, M nib, and had just changed cartridges to a black. (Cartier cartridge in a Dupont pen.. :D )

It was a bit wet, and I wanted to write a few smaller notes between previous notes.

Client remarked: that is something I have never seen before, someone writing with the nib upside down....

Extra point for his powers of observance..

And the nib wrote perfectly well in a fine line.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

Today I was writing with a ST Dupont Ellipsis, M nib, and had just changed cartridges to a black. (Cartier cartridge in a Dupont pen.. :D )

It was a bit wet, and I wanted to write a few smaller notes between previous notes.

Client remarked: that is something I have never seen before, someone writing with the nib upside down....

Extra point for his powers of observance..

And the nib wrote perfectly well in a fine line.

D.ick

I had a teacher who only used fountain pens like that and was surprised anyone used the "other" way up.

The teacher's pet chimed in quite helpfully that she also never saw a fountain pen being used that way, despite the fact that she'd never seen a fountain pen before and had just previously asked "What is that?"

I was using one in a meeting at work this week when the sales rep commented on how fancy it was. It was $10.00 Pilot Plumix.

I get "is that a fountain pen?" and confused stares a lot, but at the office I usually get "are you seriously writing with a fountain pen right now?" which is oddly enough followed by "how do you even know what a fountain pen is? You're so young!" because I'm the "baby" and a good 20 years younger than almost everyone else at corporate. Bonus that I've also been told by a lot of my coworkers that they don't know the first thing about using fountain pens. Makes me feel kinda superior some days...

"There is the sudden. There is the eventual. And in between, there is the living." - David Levithan

The only comment I've ever gotten was "Is that a fountain pen? That's wonderful."

Other than from my boss who used to be into Sheaffers.

Being a 17 year old fountain pen enthusiast, I hear the word "posh" very often, especially when using one of my sailors or mont blancs! as well as people saying what's the point in using a fountain pen etc.. Each to their own I guess but I will never be changing my ways!

It was yesterday when I got out my Parker and handed it over to my boss (he has the same one), and one of our colleges (a man around 60 years old), saw it carefully and asked if it was a FP. I had just inked it with some Diamine Mediterranean Blue and gave it to the boss so he may try the color... It's nice when somebody else recognizes true writing instruments.

Oh, and in the High School I used to work 2-3 teenager students saw the same Parker and just admired it and asked me for directions for buying their own :)

Earlier today, when I took out a Cross Century fountain pen to make notes for a newspaper article: "Oh, I like it that you use a pen like that. Hardly anyone does nowadays."

During a slightly earlier period of my life, the first decade of this century, when I was receiving health care at Chinese Hospital, in San Francisco, and wrote with a Parker 51, several Chinese women said to me, depending on their ages, either "My father wrote with a pen like that" or, alas, tempus fugit, "My grandfather wrote with a pen like that."

Naturally I might have preferred "Do you come to this hospital often?" but that did not happen.

My friend had an experience like this during his class:

Him: (writing with his Lamy 2000)

Friend: Is that a ballpoint?

Him: It's a fountain pen.

Friend: Can I try it?

Him: Sure

Friend: (uses it the wrong way) (returns the pen to him)

This pen is horrible, I like my ballpoints better.

(ignores him for the rest of the class).

Him: facepalm*

Instruments of expression is my tool of thinking.

Waterman Edson, Parker Premier, Parker Frontier, Sheaffer Valor, Parker 100, Noodlers Ahab

• 2 weeks later...

I've gotten "nice pen" a few times. One time I got that from a college age girl working the checkout at a local brunch spot. I told her thank you and that the pen was from the 50's. She seem a little startled at that. (it was a silver SJ Estie)

A girl that I went out with calls them my "fancy pens." I've explained to her that none of the ones I own even cross into the realm of expensive in the FP world (all of mine so far are under $100). She understands, but still likes to tease me. She likes to buy fun colored and styled gell and ballpoint pens, but wasn't really interested in crossing over to use a FP.

"Over the Mountain

Of the Moon

Down the Valley of the Shadow

Ride, boldly ride,"

The shade replied,

"If you seek for Eldorado." - E. A. Poe