What Do People Say To You When You Whip Out That Pen?

GabrielleDuVent

Common perceptions  

464 members have voted

1. 1. What do people say to you when you get out your FP?

• "My, that's a weird looking pen."
    • "That's a cool pen!"
    • "Is that a fountain pen?"
    • "Is that a weapon?"
    • "Can I borrow it?"
    • "Do you use fountain pens? I do too! (goes off into a monologue)"
    • "That's a very posh pen."
    • Other (write them in the posts!)

I actually had the opposite happen today....

I was in a local stationery/card shop/bookstore/novelty shop and the guy behind the counter pulled out a fountain pen. So I said "Hey, what brand of pen is that?" And it turned out that it was a TWSBI 700 Vac with a 1.1 mm stub. So the guy and I had a chat about TWSBIs and what I liked (and didn't like) about my 580-AL and 580-ALR.... :D

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

ETA: Oh, and then I signed the credit card receipt with the Plum Demi 51....

Edited by inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GabrielleDuVent

• Lyander0012

• amberleadavis

• thedeacon

The response I've gotten the most recently is "oh, you have a calligraphy pen!" First couple times, I said "no, it's just a regular fountain pen" but now I just say "yes".

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

"dat's a fancy pen"

"thanks"

Once in a while, rarely, they have more to ask, and that's when I'll talk more about it. But most people say the same thing when I hand them a fisher space pen, so meh. Most people don't care.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

A few weeks ago I got a

"That's expensive isn't it?"

From a classmate from japan. I guess fountain pens are a little more common in japan, possibly.

I rotate pens. The comments rotate with the pens. Some are workhorse pens, and have an unremarkable in appearance... they get few remarks. When I have a flex-nib pen, and write with a flourish.. the whole calligraphy pen comments are typically given. Some are very eye-catching, and the first thing noticed is their appearance before the cap is even removed. Some are very recognizable (such as my "snow capped" pens), and usually get me nods from others who own pens from that family. Just as often, what elicits comments is the variety of colors which the pens produce on paper.

Edited by Addertooth

I have a stand that holds 5 pens on my desk. I usually get more comments about that before they even know they are fountain pens. When I actually use one no one even notices.

I did have a coworker snatch a pen of the stand,try to yank the screw cap off then throw it back on my desk fussing about "what's wrong with this pen? I can't get the cap off." Not a good situation but at least it was a less expensive PenBBS and nothing got damaged.

After three expensive (for me anyway) pens in two months, I'm at a point in which family and friends just shake their heads in disbelief or disapproval. At least I also managed to also do something for my health and get a rowing machine; unfortunately after very short sessions of that my writing goes back to my school years: crooked and illegible!

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

I just read through the whole topic. Amusing, uplifting, and depressing all at the same time.

Following a bit of scorn I got for asking after a missing gel pen over a bic stick, I'm wary about even whipping out a jotter, in some circles.

Edited by WarrenB

31182132197_f921f7062d.jpg

I'm a very young fountain pen user, so I get a lot of "what's that thing?" "Is that a pen?" "Is that a quill?" or "Why are you using that?"

most of the time I do not get special comments when using my FPs, in the EU it is still not totally uncommon to use one, although fewer people do.

appreciation remarks: I got the "that's nice!" quite a few times

value:

"that must be expensive..." had me nodding with a grin when using a 3.50 euro shipping included Jinhao...

"can I borrow THIS one?" a few times from office co-workers who know my passion for FPs, particularly when spotting the snow flake or the pelican...

panic: "can you just lend me your..." speechless when I unscrew the pen and they see the nib...

knowing smile: I have a couple of UK clients who use fountain pens, when we meet we look and challenge each other and then jointly take out our FPs...

Edited by sansenri

At a staff meeting this morning, I was writing notes with my Kaweco 37/37G. The principal asked if he could borrow my pen, and I said, "It's a fountain pen."

His response: "Oh god no! I'll see if someone else has a pen."

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!

My accountant was impressed till I told her the price. Then she lectured me about my spending.

What was the pen? I mean, was it REALLY expensive (MB level price) or was it a $35 Safari or a $10 Parker Vector? Because my first "good" pen was a $9 Vector and I felt really extravagent paying that much just for something I was going to write in a journal with. Had I but known.... :blush:

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

My new tax guy asked for a pen since he'd forgotten his, so I loaned him a Cross ball point. When he saw me taking notes with my Wahl Eversharp Skyline he said, "It's been a long time since I've seen a fountain pen." The receptionist at my doctor's office oohs and aahs every time I sign in, so I try to take a different pen each time..

Edited by corgicoupe

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost

I've gotten a lot of questions when I pull out a Pilot Metropolitan in discussions. Some students tease me for spending so much on a pen (they don't think the Metro is $25) one girl remembered using them in school in Eastern Europe and asked if she could use try it.

U.C. Berkeley Economics | Public Policy

What was the pen? I mean, was it REALLY expensive (MB level price) or was it a $35 Safari or a $10 Parker Vector? Because my first "good" pen was a $9 Vector and I felt really extravagent paying that much just for something I was going to write in a journal with. Had I but known.... :blush:

It's funny, a lot of the time if I have an inexpensive pen I'm carrying around (Lamy Vista, some Kaweco, Preppy, etc.) someone will comment on the nib and ask how much my pen costs. When I say "$20" or something around there, his/her eyes will go wide with disbelief :yikes: . Sometimes I show them some Danitrio or something online just for kicks, which I think always lowers people's opinions about me a little :lol:

My first experience in the fountain pen world was receiving a preppy from a family friend, and I remember being a little shocked seeing just how pricy some pens got. Now I'm only shocked at low prices!

Edited by WLSpec

I use assorted fountain pens in our church council meetings. I enjoy the looks as if I have sprouted a tentacle and used my own ink to take notes.

Wow - that is so beautiful! (about my Picasso Montmartre)

Can I try it? My usual EDC pens are Vistas, Safaris or some cheap Chinese pens, so: Yes you can.

Can you still get ink for those?

My grandpa had one of those... (giving me a weird look).

And the best one so far: Is that a USB drive?

People who want to share their religious views with you almost never want you to share yours with them - Dave Berry

Min danske webshop med notesbøger, fyldepenne og blæk

• 2 weeks later...

Most people know what it is and find it interesting, ask a question or two.

Back in June I went a 50th reunion of my 8th grade grammer school class. It was a Catholic school, run by nuns and we went from pencils for grades 1-3 to Sheaffer fountain pens in 4th grade on. Lot's of ink stained pockets, ballpoints weren't allowed.

I took out my Field Notes book and Delike pen to write down someone's email address and they started oohing and aahing over it.

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income. - Errol Flynn

Pelikan 100's, 200's, 400's, 600's & 805,s (Stresemann), Namiki Nippon Dragon, Montblanc 149, Platinum 3776 Music Nib, Sailor Pro Clear Demo, Montegrappa Fortuna Skull, Parker 75 Laque, 1946 Parker Vacumatic, Stipula Passporto, Kaweco.

All of the comments are positive and some didn't realize they were still available. I've given away three Esterbrooks to family and friends. My grandchildren asked for fountain pens. For the little ones I gave the Pelikan Twist. To the elder, a Lamy Safari and another a Wing Sung 601.

"Respect science, respect nature, respect all people (s),"