Affordable (Under $80) With Soft/semi Flex Nib?

chasearound

I was wondering if you guys knew about a pen, vintage or modern, that was under around 80 dollars that had a soft or semi flex nib? I wanted to

get a good everyday writer before jumping to a Lamy 2000, Namiki Falcon, or any other flagship model.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bo Bo Olson

• apkayle

• GClef

• Bigeddie

Well, there is always the Noodler's pens such as the Nib Creaper and Ahab, and the rest. Try here-

http://www.isellpens.com/Noodler_s_Ink_Pens_s/1858.htm and here- http://www.jetpens.com/search?q=Noodlers+pens and here

http://www.jetpens.com/search?q=Noodlers+pens . You could also post a WTB for a vintage Watermans pen with a semi-flex nib. Should be easy to kind an everyday pen for under $80, easily.

FWIW, the Noodlers pens I have tried seem to be closer to vintage flex than the Stipula T-Flex nibs I have tried. The Namiki Falcon is a bit closer. The modern pens seem more "soft", or even mushy, as opposed to flexy. They do not spring back like an old nib. The FPN member pokermon seems to have tons of vintage Waterman's with flex at good prices. Maybe contact him(?) and see if he has something.

HTH.

Some people say they march to a different drummer. Me? I hear bagpipes.

I was wondering if you guys knew about a pen, vintage or modern, that was under around 80 dollars that had a soft or semi flex nib? I wanted to

get a good everyday writer before jumping to a Lamy 2000, Namiki Falcon, or any other flagship model.

Well, there is always the Noodler's pens such as the Nib Creaper and Ahab, and the rest.

http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m496/gclef1114/Tutuguans/0531130202_zps87d73788.jpg

Er I wouldn't say that the Lamy 2000 has a soft or flexible nib, especially if you get an XF or F nib. The 2000 nibs give a slight hint of feedback / spring but definitely not flex. If you can flex a 2000 nib, you're probably doing something wrong! :lticaptd:

2nd vote on Noodler's flexes. I mistakenly bought a Flex Ink from Noodler's (it was pink, I got blinded), wrote it, then had to send it back, since I like hard nibs. They're cheap too... $14 to $20 or so?

Flex Ink is no longer produced, but Ahab and Creapers are, I believe.

Tes rires retroussés comme à son bord la rose,

Effacent mon dépit de ta métamorphose;

Tu t'éveilles, alors le rêve est oublié.

-Jean Cocteau, from Plaint-Chant, 1923

Both Noodler's and Fountain Pen Revolution offer pens with very long slits in the nib that offer some line variation in exchange for a lot of asjustment and a lot of writing pressure. But yes, when you get them adjusted they do deliver some line variation.

If budget is an issue, you might want to consider dip pens. The cost is trivial, and they can be much closer to (or much better than) the vintage flex experience, depending on your choice.

ron

For a soft nib, try a Reform 1745. Their nibs are quite springy and you can get a good f-b line variation out of them without any fear of damage. Past that, I'd go for the Noodler's Creeper.

For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love. -Carl Sagan

Any nib that doesn't say 'soft' or 'flex' should not be flexed. Period.

In a world where there are no eyes the sun would not be light, and in a world where there were no soft skins rocks would not be hard, nor in a world where there were no muscles would they be heavy. Existence is relationship and you're smack in the middle of it.

- Alan Watts

PM me for a German Cheat Sheet.

A semi-flex is not a 'flex' nib.. :gaah: :wallbash: .It only spreads it's tines 3X a light down stroke with half the pressure needed of a hard mashed regular flex...same width as with a 'flexi'/maxi-semi-flex, which requires 1/4th the pressure of a mashed regular flex to spread it's tines.

It gives you natural flare, as the first letter , and part of the last and maybe a stroke with in the word is wider than normal due to your natural writing style. You don't have to do any thing 'fancy'. Just write.

Can be used by the ham fisted.

(Flex pens) :thumbup: Flexible nibs that spread their tines 4-5-6 X a light down stroke are Easy full flex (1/8th a mashed regular flex), and Wet noodles/super-flex (1/16th)the flex set after that. Then comes Weak Kneed Wet Noodles.

I think going to dip pens is a good way to learn to use 'flex' pens.

Semi-flex is a very good, springy ride with tine spread of 3 X...a wetter writing pen. I like them :cloud9: now having some 26.

I have some 12 of the 'flexi'/maxi-semi-flex. That needs a lighter Hand...one of the reasons why I suggest working your way up the flex ladder.

More fancy can be naturally used.....but is not a 'flex' pen. :wallbash:

The best deal you can get is a 790 Geha (with a three 'ring' closure on a black cap jewel). black which will be semi-flex. They were the same price competition of Pelikan from 1950 until both went into cartridge pens about 1965. When the Malaysian billionair bought up Pelikan the first theing he did was buy oup and close down Geha's pen division...who was the major school pen comp for Pelikan....(Pre-Safari)

A Geha 790 is a standard sized black and gold piston pen, when posted is nice sized and well balanced. I have three.

On German Ebay can be had with great luck for €20 but 30-35 is now what I consider a good price. Any thing over that is not a good price...especially the German sellers who sell in the States want too much.

FPN just told me I can't use those pictures because of some extension that Photo bucket has added. Once Photobucket was the only one I used..

Looks like I got to go spend a lot of time loading up pictures from a 'blind' disk into Google. My regular1/2 disk is too full with left over windows garbage to keep pictures there any more. Six weeks to this decade's new computer. :D

If you hunt you should find a post from me that has pictures of the 790...I've been bragging them up for some 3 1/2 years. :blush: I'm at fault the price has jumped from @ €25 to 30-35. :rolleyes:

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I bought a Serweb MB ($20) from fp revolution and it worked decently for 1 month until something happened to the screw section of the body. Can't screw it together now... Can't say I recommend it.

Why dont you try and get a Pilot Falcon from the board - Maybe a bit more than $80 and it is a not a pen that will disapoint you.

Or you can try your hand on a vintage pen on ebay and repair it yourself.

Geha Schullfullers have great softness in the nib. At least mine does.

Add my vote to bigeddie's. The Reform 1745 is a nice pen at $20 or less.

I have never seen other than a fine point on it, but there is clearly some

flex. Very good value.

Pens from India ?

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

If you can live with a pen that will probably have some wear and tear keep an eye on the classifieds here. True vintage pens with real flex to one degree or another pop up frequently and the "users" are often a good price. I've had good luck with a number of pens that were "in the neighborhood" of your budget. I've yet to find a modern pen with the personality of a flexy vintage. The Noodlers really aren't the same thing as a nice soft gold nib despite having some "line variation".

Has anyone looked at the Namiki custom 74's?

I believe they are the same as the Pilot Custom 74 with number 5 nibs - the same nib as found on the Custom 92. My experience is that these are very firm, particularly in the fine.

The Custom 723 (larger) and possibly the 742 (middle size) come with a <FA> Falcon nib which is supposedly semi-flex. Posters here have debated how flexible this really is.

For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love. -Carl Sagan

I believe they are the same as the Pilot Custom 74 with number 5 nibs - the same nib as found on the Custom 92. My experience is that these are very firm, particularly in the fine.

The Custom 723 (larger) and possibly the 742 (middle size) come with a <FA> Falcon nib which is supposedly semi-flex. Posters here have debated how flexible this really is.

Are you also speaking of the soft-fine and soft-medium fine nibs?

The falcon is not semi-flex...It is a "soft" or springy nib. There is a difference, or I'd not harp on it all the time.

I do have @26 semi-flex pens. If it was semi-flex I'd be on it's bandwagon. It's not. Myths and rumors can not be stopped by facts.

The Geha School pen can have a semi-flex...I do have one, :) I also had four nibs that fit a different model of the Geha School Pen that were a nice German Vintage springy regular flex like a Pelikan 120, which is the reason I recommend the 790; you are more sure of a semi-flex nib. Two 790's I have are semi-flex, the other :yikes: is a 'flexi".

Most folks I've talked to with 790's thought it to have nice semi-flex nibs.

Both it and the Pelikan 140 have plastic gaskets so you don't have to worry about dead cork.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.