Seeking Advice On A Thoroughly Bleed And Featherproof Paper And Notebooks

ptrcao

One of the great disappointments is finding a properly bound notebook as well as loose blank paper to suit my needs, with the following specifications:

Notebook

• Properly bound and NOT spiral spine
  • A4 size (8.3in × 11.7in.)
  • Completely resistant to wet flex nibs
  • No showthrough, bleeding or feathering (I use flex pens!)
  • Maximum sheets, ideally 192 sheets, or I will settle for the largest available size realistically
  • Available and widely available, especially in Australia - but willing to buy from abroad if costs are reasonable
  • Cost-effective, but will compromise a little if worth it

Paper

• A4 size (8.3in × 11.7in.)
  • Competitively priced against regular printing paper
  • Can serve well as printing paper as well as writing paper
  • Available and widely available, especially in Australia

In these regards I have been disappointed time and time again. Currently, a clothbound Clairefontaine is the best solution I have and an obscure paper called Nature which has gone off the market in Australia. That is where I am from; I am willing to buy stuff over the internet from overseas but within reason you know what I mean (i.e., not at a ridiculous disproportionate expense to ship)?

I have been contemplating Apica but have read disappointing reviews in the regards above. See https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/106072-apica-notebooks-review/?p=2226925.

jetpens.com has a variety of Japanese notebook brands with which I am unfamiliar and many are not available in A4 (8.3in × 11.7in.) size.

Please advise.

Edited by ptrcao

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wallylynn

• mm1624124

• ptrcao

• publishing guy

I have used a Japanese notebook called "Campus" by Kokuyo that was reasonably priced and stood up well to wet nibs. No feathering; no bleedthrough. Heavy ink does show through some. They are perfect bound.

What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?

[*]Competitively priced against regular printing paper

Top quality paper for run-of-the-mill prices? Ha! You're funny.

Generally I agree, but you'd be surprised; I did get lucky previously with Nature wheat-based paper. A crisp paper, which holds up very well with wet nibs and allows for very crisp writing. Was on par with regular paper, pricewise. But just my luck that they were taken off the market when Australia's largest stationary provider stopped stocking...

Clairefontaine is my best suggestion.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

Or Rhodia. But they're not properly bound.

Edited by Strombomboli

Iris

My avatar is a painting by Ilya Mashkov (1881-1944): Self-Portrait; 1911, which I photographed in the New Tretyakov Gallery in Moscow.

Generally I agree, but you'd be surprised; I did get lucky previously with Nature wheat-based paper. A crisp paper, which holds up very well with wet nibs and allows for very crisp writing. Was on par with regular paper, pricewise. But just my luck that they were taken off the market when Australia's largest stationary provider stopped stocking...

Hmmm, wheat paper, never heard of that one.

Maybe you can find some Canefields bagasse paper. It was a popular topic when introduced a few years ago, though I've not seen it brought up in a long time. It's not easy to get here in the US but they have an office in AU so maybe you'll have more luck.

+1. IME price alone is an extremely unreliable indicator of paper quality - especially with paper that's already cut into A4/A5 size (as opposed to full sheets, ie A0 sizes). I've had gorgeous cheap paper, and expensive crummy paper, and everything in between.

Ptrcao, I second the recommendation for Kokuyo - other Japanese papers too, actually, but especially Kokuyo. I personally much prefer them to the usual suspects Clairefontaine etc, because they have some of the same traits re: no feathering and bleedthrough but they are more matte and ivory in color compared to CF, which I think looks prettier :)

FWIW, I commiserate on the whole thorny mess of crazy shipping fees. I'm in the EU, and I run up against that problem all the time. The best thing is to try and avoid places that use couriers, or if they do, it's worth writing and asking if they can ship via USPS.

I'm not affiliated with ANY of the brands/retailers/shops/ebay sellers/whatever I mention or recommend. If that ever changes, I will let you know :)

Looking for a cheap Pilot VP/Capless - willing to put up with lots of cosmetic damage.

The Apica paper varies according to the brand series. The 6A10 is from a series that uses all recycled paper. Overall, the paper is off-white, the finish is not as smooth and a little toothy. Some inks will bleed through slightly particularly when using a wetter or broader nib. The CD series is a notch above for approximately the same paper weight. Behavers similarily to Clairfontaine, but lighter weight paper. I just purchased the premium series to try. I'd compare that head to head with Clairfontaine for paper weight and performance. Personally I prefer the lighter papers to write on. However, Apica Premium comes in A4 paper with lots of sheets. I think the performance reviews aren't very clear that the paper quality does differ depending on the series,

Kokuyo has similar series as well. The Campus paper is better than the Apica recycled stuff, but not has good as the CYO-BO, which is heavier, but not quite as stiff or hefty as Clarifontaine. Of the Kokuyo I've tried, I prefer the CYO-BO for a nice writing experience.

Midori large isn't exactly A4, but the paper is excellent for the majority of inks and nibs I've tried--dry to wet + flex. I like the lightweight paper for personal writing. It comes with plenty of sheets too. Midori second only to Tsubame for me.

Unlike most FPNers, I'm not enamored with CF paper mainly because of the weight. The Japanese austerity applies to their paper as well. Plus most do give a superior performance for just about any ink/pen combo there is. However, there will be the occasional, errant outlier that will prove me wrong, but it will be an outlier.

Kyokuto is another to consider.

The Japanese notebooks are about 80 pages per notebook and come smaller than A4. They take inks well, but they are also very thinly ruled (the ones I've used anyway) and I found it hard to write with medium nibs.

Liscio-1 is a notebook especially designed for FPs only. Also Life's Noblenote (http://www.asahiyakami.co.jp/shop/life_noblenote/life_noblenote.htm). I'm not sure how difficult it is to get them in AUS though... I'm Japanese and so I have other shipping options...

Tes rires retroussés comme à son bord la rose,

Effacent mon dépit de ta métamorphose;

Tu t'éveilles, alors le rêve est oublié.

-Jean Cocteau, from Plaint-Chant, 1923

Your notebook description sounds just like a Black n Red - A4, 192 pages case/cloth bound good paper. (also comes as ring bound)

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Hi,

Even though you are asking about paper, I will be so bold (and off-Topic) to suggest changing ink to match the pen+paper combo that suits you, is readily available, and within your cost constraint. Perhaps an ink with iron-gall would be suitable.

Bye,

S1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

Notebooks - Clairefontaine, Rhodia, Nu: Elite (if it ever shows up in Officeworks again), Piccadilly (Woollies, Stationery section)

A4 Cut Sheet - Inexpensive - Reflex Ultra

- Expensive - Mondi Colour Copy

Otherwise, as Sandy1 said, try an ink like Mont Blanc Midnight Blue (contains Iron-gall component) or Noodler's Black (bulletproof).

Waterman Florida Blue and Sheaffer Blue are also low-bleeding, low-feathering inks.

It may also be that your pen is too wet, and may need to be adjusted, but that is a last option.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

If you're willing to compromise a bit on size take a look at Levenger notabilia notebooks as well as their pads and special order papers. Also. have you considered purchasing high quality laser paper (e.g. Staples 25% cotton fine laser paper) and having it bound for you? Good luck in your search. vinper

Just my personal experience with Levenger's special order stuff--bad, bad. Like writing on thick toilet tissue; most feather like crazy and bleed through even with fine, dry nibs. I've tried the some of the journals/notebooks too and can't recommend. YMMV, but me and my fountain pen inks do not like. :( :( The exception is the Circa Rhodia of course.

You should try papers for plastic arts, of high grammage. For example, a Fabriano of more than 120 gr. If you find some big distributor of paper, I am sure you will get it at the same price as a regular paper.

About the notebooks, you should look for a bookbinder. You could see good prices and it would be well sewn. If you are interested, my girlfriend is a bookbinder.

Regards,

Alberto Puebla.

Gatz: A journal for each of life's journeys.