Advice Needed - Vp Or Imperial Triumph?

CharlieTurtle

I'll chuck out another vote for the VP. I ended up with one primarily for notes this month. Every time I brought out my pens, I saw images of caps getting lost flash before my eyes and occasionally, they would dry out between important things. The more I use mine, the more I like it.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CharlieTurtle

• drwright

• Trebor

• Ron Z

Top Posters In This Topic

So you could get a new 330 plus a piston converter for $53 plus shipping, much less than a new VP (a VP can be had on ebay for about $100 if you get one with a "special alloy" nib instead of an 18k gold nib. With the gold nib, they're about $120 or $130).

Are you referring to the rhodium-plated nibs? If so, I believe Pilot recently (last few years) made available rhodium-plated nibs in addition to the stock gold ones. These nibs were previously only available with their yearly limited editions.

Both nibs should be 18k gold throughout, and Pilot standardizes their price, lest you think they are inferior (which they are not). If you want an extra fine nib, it is only available in rhodium-plated. I also believe Pilot is now shipping rhodium-plated nibs with rhodium trimmed pens, and gold nibs with gold trimmed pens.

So, if that's what you meant by special alloy, I think you are mistaken if you are trying to imply a quality difference. I'd be interested to know if there are some knock off nibs for these pens that I'm not aware of, though.

I love love LOVE the Imperials, but looking at your intended use pattern, I'd recommend the VP. Why because if...

I usually carry my pens clipped to the folder I'm using, or tucked inside if the clip doesn't allow it

...the fact that it is a slip-cap on the Imperial contains with it the chance of slipping out of the cap, and the potential for damage, lamentation and so forth. Even if the VP drops free, the point is unlikely to hit the floor.

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

While I would rank any of my Imperials as a better, more pleasant, more practical pen then my VPs if you are going to have a pen in or attached to a folder or notebook then you should go with the VP. I would suggest that you try to find one of the earlier faceted Vanishing Point pens though. Also remember that the cartridges hold more ink than the converters.

My Website

Someone above linked to some VP's for £60 ish. Once you count in shipping and stuff...

The only link I saw was for a VP on eBay with a special alloy nib. The bid is currently at $76 shipped, but that will surely go up before the listing is finished. The VP's I was referencing are listings where you can buy the pen now. You could, of course, get a better deal through an auction.

Are you referring to the rhodium-plated nibs? If so, I believe Pilot recently (last few years) made available rhodium-plated nibs in addition to the stock gold ones. These nibs were previously only available with their yearly limited editions.

Both nibs should be 18k gold throughout, and Pilot standardizes their price, lest you think they are inferior (which they are not). If you want an extra fine nib, it is only available in rhodium-plated. I also believe Pilot is now shipping rhodium-plated nibs with rhodium trimmed pens, and gold nibs with gold trimmed pens.

So, if that's what you meant by special alloy, I think you are mistaken if you are trying to imply a quality difference. I'd be interested to know if there are some knock off nibs for these pens that I'm not aware of, though.

No, I'm not referencing the rhodium plated nibs (which are still 18k gold). I was referencing a "special alloy" nib that is only available in the Japanese market (though they are posted frequently on eBay). They're generally $30 cheaper than VP's with the 18k nibs. I'm not sure how the special alloy nibs, with respect to quality, differ from 18k nibs.

After googling them, it appears the VP "special alloy" nibs are gold-plated steel. Probably write just as well as the 18k nibs, but aren't quite as soft? I've only used the 18k nibs, so I don't have any firsthand experience with the special alloy nibs.

I love love LOVE the Imperials, but looking at your intended use pattern, I'd recommend the VP. Why because if...

...the fact that it is a slip-cap on the Imperial contains with it the chance of slipping out of the cap, and the potential for damage, lamentation and so forth. Even if the VP drops free, the point is unlikely to hit the floor.

While I would rank any of my Imperials as a better, more pleasant, more practical pen then my VPs if you are going to have a pen in or attached to a folder or notebook then you should go with the VP. I would suggest that you try to find one of the earlier faceted Vanishing Point pens though. Also remember that the cartridges hold more ink than the converters.

I may have phrased that badly - folder stands upright in my backpack, pen is clipped to the folder in order to travel nib-upwards. The pen is removed from the folder when I sit down.

You can spot a writer a mile off, they're the ones meandering in the wrong direction muttering to themselves and almost walking into every second lamppost.

So you could get a new 330 plus a piston converter for $53 plus shipping, much less than a new VP (a VP can be had on ebay for about $100 if you get one with a "special alloy" nib instead of an 18k gold nib. With the gold nib, they're about $120 or $130).

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pilot-Vanishing-Point-Capless-Family-Deep-Blue-Rhodium-MEDIUM-nib-Fountain-Pen-/380645369322?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item58a03b65ea

You can spot a writer a mile off, they're the ones meandering in the wrong direction muttering to themselves and almost walking into every second lamppost.

This listing is $97.50 for a special alloy VP, and I said that you could get one for around $100...

To me, it says $82.50

I may have phrased that badly - folder stands upright in my backpack, pen is clipped to the folder in order to travel nib-upwards. The pen is removed from the folder when I sit down.

Still the same advice. Keeping a pen in a backpack is bad enough. Go with the VP.

My Website

To me, it says $82.50

$82.50 plus $15.00 shipping. These pens on eBay are shipping from Tokyo, so the shipping is decently expensive (which is why I factored it into my original estimate of their going rate).

Anyway, bickering aside, the VP is significantly more expensive than what you can get a low model Sheaffer Imperial for (though definitely still worth that price, as it's one of the best note taking pens you can buy)

Edited by drwright

I'd still be worried about the pen coming adrift from the cap, and that worry has a foundation in experience. The consequence is more likely something else in the bag getting stained than the pen getting wrecked, though; your clarification does reduce my arrhythmia somewhat ;)

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

Personally I like both the VP series and Sheaffer's inlaid nib pens. As has been mentioned here even the cheaper steel nibbed pens are amazing writers. I have a couple of 444s and all are fantastic writers. I find the vintage sheaffer fine/XF nibs smoother than most modern nibs of similar widths. They're fantastic for taking notes. In fact as I write this I'm wondering why I even listed my 444 for sale here ha ha.

Cheers,

NM