Places That I Can Get A Good Range Of Inks/pens (Actual Places I Can Go To, Not Online Retailers)

circlepattern

I was wondering if there are any common places (EX: Certain mall shops, stores). I just dislike how in online store I can't see and feel everything and only have the pictures and occasionally video. Not to mention the anxiety attacks waiting for packages to arrive, so any store suggestions?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• circlepattern

• GabrielleDuVent

• Harlequin

• sharonspens

where are you located?

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Earnest Hemingway

There is a Paradise Pens listed in Costa Mesa, CA. According to Googlemaps, that's under an hour away from Riverside.

I hadn't seen the flag but I just knew you were from California.

It's for Yew!bastardchildlil.jpg

Hi,

try The Fountain Pen Shop in Monrovia. Fred, the owner, has a wide range of pens to fit all budgets. He has a bunch of used pens too. Well worth a visit although the shop is a little difficult to find. Also, I believe the store is closed on Mondays so call ahead to make sure he is open.

David

For so long as one hundred men remain alive,we shall never under any conditions submit to the

domination of the English. It is not for glory or riches or honours that we fight, but only for liberty, which

no good man will consent to lose but with his life.

Yeah, Paradise Pens is a national chain, so that is probably your closest bet (as someone else mentioned). Not knowing the SoCal geography, The Fountain Pen Shop may be just a close, or closer. If there isn't big dif between the two, distance wise, I would definitely recommend the Fountain Pen Shop- I've repeatedly heard good things about it.

Thanks guys, I might check out these locations later on, think I might alter my summer road trip a little so I could visit those shops, driving an hour solely to get some ink might still be a bit extreme. Pity that fountain pens aren't popular, one would think that office depot at least include a very limited collection of inks, but nope, just some fountain pens.

I was wondering if there are any common places (EX: Certain mall shops, stores). I just dislike how in online store I can't see and feel everything and only have the pictures and occasionally video. Not to mention the anxiety attacks waiting for packages to arrive, so any store suggestions?

I'd suggest Flax in Westwood. That's a long drive from Riverside, but if you happen to be out this way anyway, it's definitely worth a visit. They have quite a large selection of fountain pens, ink and stationery and they'll let you try out pens.

I even brought in my own ink once and they let me dip one of their pens in it to see how the pen wrote with that specific ink.

Does Flax = Sam Flax? B/c the one here sucks for FPs; only Lamy, Faber Castell and Acme pens, basically. And no dipping or anything else.

Paradise Pens near where I live stinks unless you are a FP newbie. They really don't stock pens apart from Cross, Lamy, Faber-Castell, Waterman, Schaeffer, Parker, Pilot, and an errant Mont Blanc... I did see a Montegrappa display, but that's about it.

As for inks, forget it. The shop carries Iroshizuku, Private Reserve, Mont Blanc Blue Black, and Quink. Here is the conversation I had yesterday on the telephone:

Me: Hello, do you stock any Lamy Blue in bottle?

Shop: Lamy doesn't make blue in bottles.

Me: (... yes they do). Um, okay. Do you carry Noodler Black?

Shop: We do not carry Noodler's.

I'd def. recommend FP Shop in Monrovia. When I visited there, I lived there for a day :P

Tes rires retroussés comme à son bord la rose,

Effacent mon dépit de ta métamorphose;

Tu t'éveilles, alors le rêve est oublié.

-Jean Cocteau, from Plaint-Chant, 1923

Me: Hello, do you stock any Lamy Blue in bottle?

Shop: Lamy doesn't make blue in bottles.

Me: (... yes they do). Um, okay. Do you carry Noodler Black?

Shop: We do not carry Noodler's.

LMAO, who told them that?

LMAO, who told them that?

No idea. The person on the phone said "I've been working in the pen industry for twenty-six years, and I've never seen or even heard of Lamy blue in bottle".

Maybe he was working for Bic for 26 years.

Hey I'm wondering how the Paradise Pens in Costa Mesa is in terms of letting you try the pen. I'm thinking of getting a Lamy 2000, but I'm not sure about the weight. I want to test it out in my hand before I make a purchase. Any have experience with the one in Costa Mesa?

Hey I'm wondering how the Paradise Pens in Costa Mesa is in terms of letting you try the pen. I'm thinking of getting a Lamy 2000, but I'm not sure about the weight. I want to test it out in my hand before I make a purchase. Any have experience with the one in Costa Mesa?

I've never been to the one in Costa Mesa, but the one nearby me lets you try it out (I did when I was hunting for my daily-use FP). Standard routine of water and pen and paper.