The Best Bargain I Have Ever Made!

erredierre

Hello everyone!

I am a newbie here and this is my first review ever but first, please allow me to make a short introduction of my review. I am since long time a passionated collector of fountain pens, mostly not very expensive, though very functional and beautiful, sometimes even more than the expensive ones. I have had contact with a chinese seller for almost one year, last year actually and I bought from him a couple of stunning Hero's, Jinhao's and Wing Sung. I am also the proud owner of an Inoxcrom Caravelle from the '40's, Two stunning Italix Parsons Essential from Mr.Pen, a sight for sore eyes, two Dallaiti, which I bought in Italy where a friend of mine runs a small papeterie shop, three Reform 1745, the Pelikan's look-a-like, a super Parker 21, bought from an hungarian seller, a lot of beautiful rollerballs of all brands too and I believe I have to stop because they really are too much to make a list!!!
As avid collector, I am of course never tired of looking for new ones! Sometimes, collectors runs into lucky bargains thanks to the lack of knowledge of some sellers. Well, today, I went to a local indoor flea market in Antwerp and, looking through the many things, my sight fell for something very unusual to see here: a Pelikan N100. At first, I couldn't belive my eyes, these kind of pens are usually seldom property of very big collectioners of Pelikan's itself. I approached the seller and asked to take a look, he told me I could, very friendly indeed I have to say, and while my eyes were just fondling as I touched that small beauty, he told me I could make money taking the nib off and selling it because it was made of gold! I chilled for a couple of seconds and answered him that it would have been a crime to buy such a pen and then sell the nib only for a couple of euro. I added that if I would have purchased the pen, I would have enjoyed it to the max. There was an small etiquette with a 30 on, that was the price he asked for the pen, 30 euro. I didn't mùnd at all paying that price for such a finding but, I admit I was tempted by letting it fall because he couldn't even tell me if it worked. H ekept insisting that it was a nice collector item but, even if it was, in my eyes, it had to work. He saw I wanted the pen but was doubting so, he proposed me a new price, 20 euro, I didn't even asked it. What would you have done in my place? I took the chance, if the pen didn't work I could always try to sell it again for parts. I pad him, he was happy and I was happy too, I admit it.
Once at home, I couldn't wait to clean the pen and see if this was my lucky day or not. I kept the nib under cold water first and kept flushing for about fifteen minutes first. When I saw that the ink kept coming out, I deceided to remove the nib and clean it first apart and then I started flushing the barrel throughout. I suppose that the previous owner never flushed the pen before or he used a very bad ink. I am well known for being a die hard guy and my patience is difficult to bring to a low level so, I kept flushing. After almost one hour, I hoped that all the water iI used was worth the expense, cleaned everything dry, put the barrel not entirely turned in a glass to allow water excesses to come eventually out, lay the nib on a kleenex and the cap too. A couple of hours later, my curiosity was eating me alive! I took the nib, plugged it again on the barrel and took my bottle of Pelikan ink, the one I mostly use for all my piston or converter pens and started to fill. Guys, I wish you were all present to enjoy as much as I did when I started writing witht this amazing Pelikan! I had not already the chance to take pictures of the pen or the way it writes but I can assure you, this is really the best bargain I have ever made! A 395 USD and more valued fountain pen for just 20 euro!!! Unbelieveable! I was struggling since months to buy a Pelikan M400 and didn't do it because of the high price, looked for a Pelikan everywhere but they were so expensive even on Ebay and now I have the chance to own a piece of history, a true Pelikan N100 form the past century, actually from the '40's, a eighty years old fountain pen that still serve as then, writes and turns beautifully! I know it's exagerated but I really feel blessed from this purchase and I really hope to enjoy this pen for many years to come! I will add some pics later.
Thanks for giving me the chance to belong here and to express my joy through this post!
Rosario Di Rubbo

Erredierre

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• erredierre

• kagesama

• dduran

• Sasha Royale

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Congrats! It's one of the best feelings in the world and helps keep this hobby alive and exciting :)

Very nice story. Thank you for sharing it.

"how do I know what I think until I write it down?"

Thanks for the welcome, guys! I hope to post more in the next days! :)

Erredierre

Hallo en welkom van een van de noorderburen.

Sometimes you get great prices on sales like that. Sellers not knowing what they have, acquired when someone clears out a house, or things like that.

I have not been so lucky, alas.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

I believe you will one of these days. Sometimes you just have to be at the right time, at the right place, for the right thing!
I have luck on that with a lot of items, this was really the best one, talking about my fountain pen addiction. Keep always an eye on the frequent local markets in your town and you will surely find something interesting. The most important detail is not going there looking for something. I went at that market today because I didn't have something better to do.
Never look for something you like or want, just wait and whatever it is, it will come your way. This is for the most thing in life, to my experience.

Kindest regards! :)

Erredierre

Welcome to FPN. It's great to have you here with us.

"Intolerance betrays want of faith in one's cause." - Gandhi -

:W2FPN:

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Thanks Kota!

I have already subscribed to your YouTube channel! :)

Erredierre

Keep in mind that one person's trash is another person's treasure. There are many things in this world that have beauty and value if we have the eyes and wisdom to see and understand.

Welcome to FPN and continue to share your experiences - the good ones like the above as well as the learning experiences that will come your way as well.

Enjoy,

-S-

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

AMAZING DEAL!!! welcome to the fpn!

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

—Oscar Wilde

To be honest, I hadn't expect so many reactions on my post.
This is very nice from you all, thanks!

Erredierre

Hello and Welcome to FPN!! Glad to have you as a member!!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Welcome!

I really enjoyed your story. Thanks for sharing the excitement! Looking forward to photos.

:W2FPN:

First of all, welcome! There really is no place more pleasurable than here for us word lovers. Writing words, saying words, using words... pen lovers value words.

Keep in mind that one person's trash is another person's treasure. There are many things in this world that have beauty and value if we have the eyes and wisdom to see and understand.

Truer words have never been said. I'd think a lot of people would see us spending much money on pens and would wonder, "why are these people wasting money on pens and inks and arguing which ink's better? What's wrong with a Bic stick and Microsoft Word?". But we all know that ink + paper + nib combination can make or break writing words, don't we?

Glad you found such joy from Pelikan. I am very fond of that brand.

Tes rires retroussés comme à son bord la rose,

Effacent mon dépit de ta métamorphose;

Tu t'éveilles, alors le rêve est oublié.

-Jean Cocteau, from Plaint-Chant, 1923

Hello dear F.P.N. members,

I have noticed that since the avant-premiére of my Pelikan N100 review, my topic had been classified in the "Welcome to all new members" section as "hot"!

Well, I have kept my promise and uploaded the pics as soon as I could and now I really hope it's going to get HOTTER!!! :D

post-92610-0-93409600-1370013472_thumb.jpg

Edited by erredierre

Erredierre