Visconti Homo Sapiens Bronze 1.3Mm Stub

Piro_Flipper

Review of the Visconti Homo Sapiens Bronze 1.3mm stub

Note: Higher-res photos available here

This week I finally gave in and purchased a Visconti Homo Sapiens Bronze with a 1.3mm stub nib. Ever since I first saw photos of this stunning pen, I've been wanting to own one. Lava, bronze, palladium and titanium? Yes, please! B)

post-104413-0-89962000-1369584188_thumb.jpg
post-104413-0-63668900-1369584192_thumb.jpg

This is my second fountain pen. This January I got myself a Waterman Carène with a fine nib, followed by a stub nib about two months later. While it is a very nice pen, I just couldn't resist the even wider nib, the unusual look and materials, and the supposedly very smooth and wet Dreamtouch nib of the HS.

So a few days ago I finally went to a very nice store called La Couronne du Comte here in the Netherlands to get the pen, along with a metal traveling inkwell by Visconti. What I noticed when testing it out in the shop was that it took some effort to initiate the inkflow to the paper. Once it got going it wouldn't stop until the pen was lifted from the paper, but I found I had to push a little to get it to write. Not being sure if this was due to dipping the pen rather than actually filling it, I decided to go ahead and take it with me anyway.

When I got home and filled the pen I got roughly the same results. It didn't take long to diagnose the nib with a mild case of baby-bottom, as applying no pressure when writing showed two ink trails from each of the tines.

post-104413-0-99247400-1369584187_thumb.jpg

A small push down and the (copious) flow started and stayed intact for as long as the pen touched the paper.

After tracing some figure eights on a fine nail file, the problem is virtually non-existent and the nib has retained its deliciously smooth operation. I am now truly delighted with the way it writes!

1. Appearance & Design (9) - Just plain awesome!
    This is about 90% of why I bought it.
    post-104413-0-48945200-1369584193_thumb.jpg
    I absolutely loved the way it looked on photos and it does not disappoint in real life. The lava mixture is a very nice matte black, with many small pores and some even smaller reflective flakes. This contrasts in a very nice manner with the bronze parts of the pen. The two rings around the cap are significantly less shiny than the other parts and I guess that these also will look like that eventually. I like the font Visconti used for the text on the center band.
    The clip has a nice spring to it, but it will have to be lifted if you intend to use it as it runs flush with the barrel and there is no rounding going on to allow it to slip on by itself.
    The nib looks gorgeous! The two tones and the decorations match nicely. It says Visconti, 23k Pd 950, Firenze and 1.3 on the nib. The breather hole is crescent-shaped, with the tips pointing towards the barrel.
    post-104413-0-79948100-1369584190_thumb.jpg
    This pen uses the Visconti My Pen system, which means that the Visconti logo shown above can be removed and replaced by two initials or gemstones for instance. I may at some point replace the logo but for the moment I'm happy with how it looks.
    The final aesthetic aspect I would like to point out are the indents between the grip and the section. These are part of the locking mechanism: you're supposed to push and twist simultaneously to uncap, but in practice you can simply twist without pushing and the cap will still come off. This doesn't bother me but it's something you should be aware of. Don't expect it to uncap by itself though, I can't see that happening at all. Visually, I really like the grooves as I find they resemble some kind of Greek pattern which fits right in with the general theme of the pen in my opinion.
  2. Construction & Quality (9) - Very good, but...
    Quality of construction is excellent for the most part, but I do have three issues I want to mention.
    Firstly, the fact that this nib required pressure to start writing is something that really bothered me and absolutely had to be remedied before I could enjoy using this pen. I applaud Visconti for wanting to give their users the smoothest experience possible, but having to deal with baby-bottom is not my idea of Dreamtouch. Fortunately I was able to resolve it but I think this should simply not happen to such a high-end pen. I have read that Visconti's stub nib is more prone to this defect than their other nibs.
    Secondly, and thirdly, Visconti needs to work on their printing/painting process as this leaves something to be desired: the black on the clip looks like it is printed using some kind of dot matrix, but on one side the entire printing is very slightly misaligned with where it's supposed to be, whereas on the other side some dots have not printed. Also some of the letters look a bit jagged because of this process when looked at closely. This should be clearly visible in the high-res photos on Flickr.
    post-104413-0-73875600-1369584191_thumb.jpg
    Moreover, on the band that reads 'HOMO SAPIENS' the text is colored black, but the m is not entirely colored. This is also visible in this photo.
    Fortunately however, none of these issues affect my daily enjoyment of the pen: the nib problem has been cured, and the paint anomalies are too minor to notice without really inspecting the pen or looking for it. As a side note, I should add that the traveling inkwell I was first shown featured quite ugly misprintings and even some scratches, almost like it was a secondhand prototype or something. The seller said that this was the way the newer, plastic inkwells all looked and then offered me the metal one from a display case for the same price, an offer I gladly accepted!
  3. Weight & Dimensions (10) - Perfect!
    The size of the pen is perfect as far as I'm concerned. Capped it is as long as my Carène, uncapped it is slightly longer. The big difference is in the circumference of the pen. It is a much fatter pen, which I really appreciate. The section has a very comfortable shape and the fact that it is also fairly wide means it is a pleasure hold. This together with the smoothness and wetness of the nib are what constitutes the Dreamtouch I think.
  4. Nib & Performance (9) - Wet, smooth, some feedback
    Over the last few months I have learned that I like my nibs wet and smooth. The HS delivers in both respects, and when looking at the current performance it is all I hoped it would be!
    post-104413-0-87582600-1369584186_thumb.jpg
    The wetness is there not just after filling the pen, it remains virtually constant afterwards contrary to my Carène which alternatively writes wetter and drier as I wait for for the feed to draw more ink from the converter.
    However, when considering only stock performance, I would give the nib about a 6: it would write, but only if I apply some pressure first. This would be a major issue for me, but perhaps you don't mind or wouldn't even notice.
  5. Filling System & Maintenance (8) - Power filler!
    The HS bronze uses a power filler mechanism to suck up ink. I love using it and think it's much cooler than a converter. Just unscrew the blind cap, pull the titanium rod back, submerge the pen up to the section and push the rod back in. Near the end of the travel, the vacuum will be released and the pen will suck up quite some ink. For optimal filling you should use the traveling inkwell as that allows for a full fill by inverting the pen whilst filling.
    The big downside of this mechanism is the fact that cleaning can not be carried out by using a bulb syringe, and thus is much slower than usual. This is especially annoying when using e.g. Rouge Hématite as all you can do is repeatedly suck up water and expel it again which can take ages! Given the fact that the pen is just so nice in virtually all other aspects, I can definitely live with this but you should consider it when buying this pen.
    The nib can only be removed using a special tool that I saw the seller use, I wouldn't risk trying to remove it without this tool.
  6. Cost & Value (8) - Alright, I guess....
    Going for about €450 in the Netherlands, this is not a cheap pen. Whether or not it is worth it is as always a very subjective matter. For me it clearly was or I would have returned it, but I wouldn't be surprised if there were other cheaper pens that write (almost) equally smooth and wet. As for looks, you really don't have much of a choice but to pay up, or pay even more for the limited edition Mazzi version of the pen. Since I will be using this pen for just about any writing I will do, which, being a college student, can include quite a bit of note taking, I simply consider getting a pen that writes awesomely the same as any other time you buy a quality tool for something you do on a regular basis. The fact that I can couple this with the visual appeal of something like a wrist watch in one object and stand out from the herd of cheap ballpoint users just adds to my personal enjoyment!
  7. Conclusion (Final score [53/6]: 8.8) - Not perfect, but excellent
    The few issue that my specimen of this pen has have either been resolved or are too insignificant in the grand scheme to significantly affect my appreciation for it. When a pen can couple stunning looks and writing performance, that is a winning combination for me and I do not regret the purchase at all. I look forward to lots of writing with it and feel no desire to purchase any other pen after this one. Overall, I would definitely recommend the Homo Sapiens as well as the brand Visconti to anyone looking for a good looking, smooth writing pen. Do make sure to test it out at a shop though so you know what you're getting, especially in terms of nib performance.

post-104413-0-87582600-1369584186_thumb.jpg

post-104413-0-99247400-1369584187_thumb.jpg

post-104413-0-89962000-1369584188_thumb.jpg

post-104413-0-90378100-1369584189_thumb.jpg

post-104413-0-79948100-1369584190_thumb.jpg

post-104413-0-73875600-1369584191_thumb.jpg

post-104413-0-63668900-1369584192_thumb.jpg

post-104413-0-48945200-1369584193_thumb.jpg

post-104413-0-31056600-1369584194_thumb.jpg

Edited by Piro_Flipper

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Piro_Flipper

• terminal

• thott

• C40

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Very nice review and great pictures! I also recently bought this pen La Couronne du Comte (ordered online). I've only had it about a week or so, but I'm also very impressed with it. The shape/size is great and the nib is just something else. Mine's an extra fine and quite wet - it has a tactile quality as it writes that makes it just a pleasure. Also a fan of the pen materials. Thanks for taking the time to share your impressions and write up a review.

A pen to put on the lists of when I win big on the lottery or if I ever get married into a family of money.

http://mark.intervex.net/fpn/images/LetterExchange.png

Great and very fair review.

I LOVE mine as well and have the 1.3 nib. Mike Masuyama worked my nib when I first got it as the tines were slightly mis-aligned.

Now it is a perfect pen and an absolute dream to write with. For those who don't have one, if you get it and love it you will understand why so many of those who get one can say they will never sell it. It has a warm and welcoming feel that just needs to be experienced to understand.

Edited by Earthdawn

Great review and fantastic photos, really like the way you have done the close ups.

I think the effect on the 'Homo Sapiens' printing on the band actually enhances the look and goes well with the texture of the barrel.

I thought I've enough Vistcontis already now this seems so tempting and Earthdawn thanks for your impressions too.

sinistral hypergraphica - a slurry of ink

Thank you all for the kind words!

Very nice review and great pictures! I also recently bought this pen La Couronne du Comte (ordered online). I've only had it about a week or so, but I'm also very impressed with it. The shape/size is great and the nib is just something else. Mine's an extra fine and quite wet - it has a tactile quality as it writes that makes it just a pleasure. Also a fan of the pen materials. Thanks for taking the time to share your impressions and write up a review.

Great and very fair review.

I LOVE mine as well and have the 1.3 nib. Mike Masuyama worked my nib when I first got it as the tines were slightly mis-aligned.

Now it is a perfect pen and an absolute dream to write with. For those who don't have one, if you get it and love it you will understand why so many of those who get one can say they will never sell it. It has a warm and welcoming feel that just needs to be experienced to understand.

Very true, the feel of the lava and the nib just gliding over the paper, leaving a wet trail is really outstanding.

Great review and fantastic photos, really like the way you have done the close ups.

I think the effect on the 'Homo Sapiens' printing on the band actually enhances the look and goes well with the texture of the barrel.

I thought I've enough Vistcontis already now this seems so tempting and Earthdawn thanks for your impressions too.

Thanks! If you're referring to the font then I agree, but if you mean the missing paint then I beg to differ: when looking at the pen from a normal distance all you can see is that there is paint missing, you can't see the texture like in the macro photos.

Edited by Piro_Flipper

maybe I will give a try to this pen next time

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

I love it too but my local dealer don't recommand Visconti as he has got several prob with them and clients unhappy....but they look so nice!!

A people can be great withouth a great pen but a people who love great pens is surely a great people too...

Pens owned actually: MB 146 EF;Pelikan M200 SE Clear Demonstrator 2012 B;Parker 17 EF;Parker 51 EF;Waterman Expert II M,Waterman Hemisphere M;Waterman Carene F and Stub;Pilot Justus 95 F.

Nearly owned: MB 149 B(Circa 2002);Conway Stewart Belliver LE bracket Brown IB.

Do you know what kind of problems they were having? Was it with the pens or with the manufacturer?

Excellen review, Piro Flipper! Thanks a lot. I've been wanting this model for a while; by a coincidence I stubled upon a very good offer on a Midi Steel and bought that instead just to discover that it was equipped with some sort of piston filler instead. The filler is very smooth, which makes me wonder how it actually works. But the material and nib is excellent! Broad nib, very smooth with no tooth, writes like a dream! (of corse!). But it is a little too small for my hands, and in addition I think the bronze trim looks better. Steel is easier to maintain thou. But all in all I'm very satisfied.

Thanks again!

Favorite of the day: Nakaya Naka-ai Heki tame.

My pleasure! I've heard tell that the steel models have what is essentially a permanent converter inside the pen, don't know if that's correct. I agree that the bronze ones look a bit nicer somehow, and I intend not to use the provided polishing cloth as I actually look forward to the bronze developing its patina. I think it builds character I suppose. Enjoy your HS!

For those who wonder about this, I took a picture of some writing with the pen, mainly to show line variation and wetness.

post-104413-0-00000400-1369844358_thumb.jpg

thanks for the tour in the visconti world. i appreciate the pen and the excellent review as well as the wonderful photos. congratulation and enjoy your nice your pen.

Fountain Pen is for people who have a delicate taste in writing

Pens Actively In Use

MB 149-f; MB Solitaire SS (FP-ef,BP,MP)

MB (LE) G.B.Shaw (FP-m,BP,MP); MB LeGrand (RB,BP,MP)

Parker Duofold Presidential Esparto sol.SS (FP-f, BP)

Parker Duofold PS SS (FP-f, RB)

Parker Doufold Marbled Green (FP-f,BP,MP)

Parker Duofold Marbled Gray (FP-xf)

S.T. Dupont Orpheo XL Platinum Diamond Head (FP-m)

S.T. Dupont Orpheo XL Platinum/ChinLacquer Black (FP-f)

Great review - thank you.

I personally found the Visconti Palladium nibs too soft, and had a very strange problem with a broad nib which made the pen unuseable and which my local dealer had never seen before either. Most of their nibs (Opera, Wall Street etc.) can be unscrewed by hand, similar to Pelikans, so I was surprised to read that this can't be done with the HS.

In general, their nibs are great, and I've also found them to be consistently wet writers which perform well with all inks I've tried.

Anyway, thanks again!

✒️ :happyberet:

For those who wonder about this, I took a picture of some writing with the pen, mainly to show line variation and wetness.

Kat krabt de krullen van de trap. :P

Dat is leuk :D :D :D :lticaptd: :lticaptd:

Great review - thank you.

I personally found the Visconti Palladium nibs too soft, and had a very strange problem with a broad nib which made the pen unuseable and which my local dealer had never seen before either. Most of their nibs (Opera, Wall Street etc.) can be unscrewed by hand, similar to Pelikans, so I was surprised to read that this can't be done with the HS.

In general, their nibs are great, and I've also found them to be consistently wet writers which perform well with all inks I've tried.

Anyway, thanks again!

I suppose that they can be unscrewed by hand, but I do not have the courage to try this just tot test it :blush: My stub nib is actually quite stiff, but then you already have some line variation built in anyway.

I'm curious: what was the problem you had with your broad nib?

Kat krabt de krullen van de trap. :P

Dat is leuk :D :D :D :lticaptd: :lticaptd:

:P B)

The broad nib I had would make a massively wide stroke at the bottom left corner of a letter C or a letter O, or any character formed in that shape even when no pressure was applied to the nib. It was very strange, and my local dealer immediately agreed to replace the nib.

✒️ :happyberet: