Journey Into Space - From Jupiter To The Planets

barriep

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3751/8843744581_bb2e07b8bb_b.jpg

I love the Jupiter pen by Classic Pens and Paul Rossi. I got number 64 to celebrate my 64th birthday in 2007, had the nib customized by John Mottishaw and it is a regular in my monthly rotation. I love the glow of Jupiter set in the centre of the barrel in flame red acrylic surrounded by it’s four moons in white and blue and the distant specs of the constellations of Big Bear, Little Bear and Orion inlaid in gold amidst the deep blue space. And the space is not just blue, it is layers of blues from the diffusion bonded acrylic, just as Jupiter is not just red but it burns with bonded flame reds.

It was the first pen released by Classic Pens on their own Legend and entirely handmade by Paul. For my 70th year I am getting another celestial pen, The Planets, also being handmade by Paul Rossi, this time on the new Classic Pens “Mythos”, a bit longer than the Legend and with a new, larger nib. I can’t get a number 70 as there won’t be 70 pens, so I have settled for number 2. And having now seen pictures of the prototypes I can’t wait.

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2813/8844364856_37981eccf0_b.jpg

This time the pen has the planets of our solar system with their moons, the earth at the centre and the sun on the cap, set in the deep space blue amid distant gold and silver stars. And with a beautiful clip design by Paul especially for this pen. This picture sent to me by Andy to contain my impatience shows the different acrylics being used in the prototypes, the large slices for the planets and the small white, yellow and blue for their moons, and scattered around are the gold and silver rods from which the stars will be made. He has told me that the final prototype should be ready early in June and I understand that Jim Mamoulides will make the announcement sometime after that. Meanwhile I have to decide what nib to go for. Oh, and sell some more pens to pay for it.

Edited by barriep

Barriep

16440848341_bf073036dc_t.jpg

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• barriep

• PenandDesign

• WaskiSquirrel

• NibNibbler

I love space, so its only telling that I find these pens fantastic. The only part I'd be concerned with is the metal band on the grip section (nickel allergy!), but I probably still wouldn't be able to resist buying a pen like that it one came up at the right price. I know that CP also sometimes works with Sailor, so it'd be fantastic to have a maki-e space pen, no? Congrats on your birthday, and on the great post! :D

Visit Pen&Design!

@penanddesign

I love the Jupiter pen by Classic Pens and Paul Rossi. I got number 64 to celebrate my 64th birthday in 1967, had the nib customized by John Mottishaw and it is a regular in my monthly rotation.

May I congratulate you on being 110 years old this year?

(I feel like I missed something?)

ETA: that is a nice pen. It has the "coolness" to it, but keeps it classy and understated. As a science fiction lover and physics teacher, I get excited about space.

Edited by Waski_the_Squirrel

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!

May I congratulate you on being 110 years old this year?

(I feel like I missed something?)

ETA: that is a nice pen. It has the "coolness" to it, but keeps it classy and understated. As a science fiction lover and physics teacher, I get excited about space.

Well, at 110 I can't be expected to remember my birthday!!

Barriep

I love space, so its only telling that I find these pens fantastic. The only part I'd be concerned with is the metal band on the grip section (nickel allergy!), but I probably still wouldn't be able to resist buying a pen like that it one came up at the right price. I know that CP also sometimes works with Sailor, so it'd be fantastic to have a maki-e space pen, no? Congrats on your birthday, and on the great post! :D

The good news is that all the metal on the Planets is sterling silver so no worries about nickel allergies.

Barriep

The good news is that all the metal on the Planets is sterling silver so no worries about nickel allergies.

Really? I always thought that sterling silver contained nickel. I guess a fallacy of association is to blame here. I thought that the gold trim on my Pelikan would be hypoallergenic, but it wasn't. I regretted that, haha. :mellow:

Still, I've never really put too much thought into silver content. I'll have to check that out. Thanks! :D :D :D

Visit Pen&Design!

@penanddesign

Very nice pen, and a great way to celebrate a birthday!

The education of a man is never complete until he dies. Gen. Robert E. Lee

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3751/8843744581_bb2e07b8bb_b.jpg
I love the Jupiter pen by Classic Pens and Paul Rossi. I got number 64 to celebrate my 64th birthday in 2007, had the nib customized by John Mottishaw and it is a regular in my monthly rotation. I love the glow of Jupiter set in the centre of the barrel in flame red acrylic surrounded by it’s four moons in white and blue and the distant specs of the constellations of Big Bear, Little Bear and Orion inlaid in gold amidst the deep blue space. And the space is not just blue, it is layers of blues from the diffusion bonded acrylic, just as Jupiter is not just red but it burns with bonded flame reds.
It was the first pen released by Classic Pens on their own Legend and entirely handmade by Paul. For my 70th year I am getting another celestial pen, The Planets, also being handmade by Paul Rossi, this time on the new Classic Pens “Mythos”, a bit longer than the Legend and with a new, larger nib. I can’t get a number 70 as there won’t be 70 pens, so I have settled for number 2. And having now seen pictures of the prototypes I can’t wait.
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2813/8844364856_37981eccf0_b.jpg
This time the pen has the planets of our solar system with their moons, the earth at the centre and the sun on the cap, set in the deep space blue amid distant gold and silver stars. And with a beautiful clip design by Paul especially for this pen. This picture sent to me by Andy to contain my impatience shows the different acrylics being used in the prototypes, the large slices for the planets and the small white, yellow and blue for their moons, and scattered around are the gold and silver rods from which the stars will be made. He has told me that the final prototype should be ready early in June and I understand that Jim Mamoulides will make the announcement sometime after that. Meanwhile I have to decide what nib to go for. Oh, and sell some more pens to pay for it.

Could you possibly get #s 34 & 36? That way they add up to 70 and you could "double down"!

Either way congratulations on your beautiful pen and your next birthday (and many more).

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

Really? I always thought that sterling silver contained nickel. I guess a fallacy of association is to blame here. I thought that the gold trim on my Pelikan would be hypoallergenic, but it wasn't. I regretted that, haha. :mellow:

Still, I've never really put too much thought into silver content. I'll have to check that out. Thanks! :D :D :D

Sterling silver is 92.5% silver and 7.5% copper, the copper to strengthen the silver. Fine (100%) silver, as found on some early Waterman overlays, is soft and you can see this in the often worn patterns on these early pens.

Barriep

• 3 weeks later...

I am going to continue this topic in the Miscellaneous pen brands forum as I am advised this is more appropriate. Will add a new posting there shortly.

Barriep