Noodler's 54Th Massachusetts

jakob

- on Rhodia dotPad N°16 paper

- with a TWSBI Diamond 580, fine nib - minimal, but extant, shading

front:

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2891/8810288085_0445f43e0d_o.jpg Noodler's 54th Massachusetts by jakoblwells, on Flickr

back:

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5349/8810553665_6db2121060_b.jpg Noodler's 54th Massachusetts back by jakoblwells, on Flickr

Edited by saskia_madding

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jakob

• Sailor Kenshin

• RobbW

• papabear16

The subject says, "Noodler's Navajo Turquoise" - yet it is a review of 54th Mass?

The subject says, "Noodler's Navajo Turquoise" - yet it is a review of 54th Mass?

Yeah, I realized my mistake instantly, but I couldn't edit the name nor delete the topic, so I messaged the moderators. Sorry! I didn't mean to mislead anyone. ^^;

Thanks for the review. Yay! I can read some of the kana!

Is this a blue-black? I'm not familiar with the color, but it looks interesting.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

I've had a Sailor with F nib filled with this ink for a few days...and it is certainly a GREAT ink! I am really quite fond of it! Nib glides nicely..

I'm liking it more today than yesterday...and I really liked it yesterday! I'm thinking a bottle might be a necessity (using ink drop sample now).

Thanks for the review. Yay! I can read some of the kana!

Is this a blue-black? I'm not familiar with the color, but it looks interesting.

I definitely consider it a blue-black. :) My screen is color-calibrated and in comparing the scan to the original, I think my little scanner captured the color accurately.

I'll be comparing it soon to a bottle of Pelikan 4001 Blue-Schwarz (blue-black) that a friend is bringing back from Germany for me. ^^

Just ordered a bottle of this yesterday!

You won't be disappointed! :)

I'm liking it more today than yesterday...and I really liked it yesterday! I'm thinking a bottle might be a necessity (using ink drop sample now).

I'm glad I got an entire bottle. :)

I will be very interested in the comparison with Pel BB, because I have an old bottle, and it's a favorite,

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

One of my favorite inks. I use it in my Lamy 2000 Fine and it is absolutey killer. I do wish it had a little more blue in it, but it is still a wonderful inl.

Does anyone know how it compares with FPN Starry Night Blue?

These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value.--Thomas Paine, "The American Crisis", 1776

My current favorite ink! I think the scans captured the color perfectly.

"Do you know the legend about cicadas? They say they are the souls of poets who cannot keep quiet because, when they were alive, they never wrote the poems they wanted to."

One of my favorite inks. I use it in my Lamy 2000 Fine and it is absolutey killer. I do wish it had a little more blue in it, but it is still a wonderful inl.

Have you tried Noodler's Bad Blue Heron? You might like that inkit has more blue in it, but it's still pretty dark and has some shading to it as well.

Thankyou for the recommendation. I like it.

You're very welcome! It's a great ink. :)

Bonus points for using the word "extant." B)

Haha, I'm glad someone appreciates that word choice! ^^

54th mixes very well with Manhattan Blue. I put 2-3 drops of Manhattan blue into 2ml 54. It boosts the blue, enhances shading, and eliminates the minimal nib-creep I seem to get with 54th near the nib slit.

I'm surprised how little Manhattan Blue is needed to obtain these benefits.

54th mixes very well with Manhattan Blue. I put 2-3 drops of Manhattan blue into 2ml 54. It boosts the blue, enhances shading, and eliminates the minimal nib-creep I seem to get with 54th near the nib slit.

I'm surprised how little Manhattan Blue is needed to obtain these benefits.

Oh, I should add that I use the Goulet Pens mixing syringe, so the drops are off a needle-thin syringe, not bog drops like you would have with an eyedropper.

I think the color of 54th Mass is great, but what I really love about this ink is the slightly-lubricated property of it. It flows really beautifully. And I know it's weird, but I like the "Shaprie" smell of it. Pretty sure I'm in the minority there, but...

Learning from the past does not mean living in the past.

I think the color of 54th Mass is great, but what I really love about this ink is the slightly-lubricated property of it. It flows really beautifully. And I know it's weird, but I like the "Shaprie" smell of it. Pretty sure I'm in the minority there, but...

I agree! It seems to be more lubricated than Noodler's Black; it flows very easily. ^^

I just gave my bottle a wiff and I can't say I'm a fan of the smell, though I don't notice the smell ever when I'm using the ink. :)

Nice review as good as always. BTW, your hiragana handwriting is awesome! :thumbup:

Do not pray for easy lives, pray to be stronger men.../JFK