orangejuiceguy

while i do not(yet) repair pens myself, i have something that may be useful when adjusting nib tines.

The Eye Clops microscope is a handheld digital microscope, and does 100x, 200x, and 400x magnification.

it has lights built in to light up the object, a screen showing the magnified object, and can take picture or video, if need be you need to post it somewhere. downside is, im not sure how practical it is, and you dont really need the 200x and 400x for obvious reasons. another downside is the need to hold the pen and the microscope, unless you can figure out a mount for the scope and pen, because its a bit tricky to adjust the pen correctly to the microscope at such high magnifications. a pen mount is optional but will free up both hands and keep you from having to adjust it to keep it a sharp image.

i would post samples but im having quite a time finding the usb that plugs into the top...

one potato two potato three potato four

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• orangejuiceguy

• tguk911

• Mike 59

Top Posters In This Topic

while i do not(yet) repair pens myself, i have something that may be useful when adjusting nib tines.

The Eye Clops microscope is a handheld digital microscope, and does 100x, 200x, and 400x magnification.

it has lights built in to light up the object, a screen showing the magnified object, and can take picture or video, if need be you need to post it somewhere. downside is, im not sure how practical it is, and you dont really need the 200x and 400x for obvious reasons. another downside is the need to hold the pen and the microscope, unless you can figure out a mount for the scope and pen, because its a bit tricky to adjust the pen correctly to the microscope at such high magnifications. a pen mount is optional but will free up both hands and keep you from having to adjust it to keep it a sharp image.

i would post samples but im having quite a time finding the usb that plugs into the top...

I was thinking of buying one of those digital usb handheld microscopes with the stand from China off ebay for like 30 bucks but I've heard some of the drivers don't work and the zoom isn't near what is advertised(which I expect from a $30 mic).

I'm looking forward to seeing some pics, I doubt it has 400x mag because some real scientific usb digital microscopes max out at that level but as long as it can max at like 160x thats more than enough.

Also does it have an adjustable focus wheel as well as a zoom wheel, cause a lot of them don't have focus wheels the Celestron one has an autofocus which I've heard is a nightmare to use.

Also how much was it cause if I can find a good deal on ebay I'll prob pick one up?

I was thinking of buying one of those digital usb handheld microscopes with the stand from China off ebay for like 30 bucks but I've heard some of the drivers don't work and the zoom isn't near what is advertised(which I expect from a $30 mic).

I'm looking forward to seeing some pics, I doubt it has 400x mag because some real scientific usb digital microscopes max out at that level but as long as it can max at like 160x thats more than enough.

Also does it have an adjustable focus wheel as well as a zoom wheel, cause a lot of them don't have focus wheels the Celestron one has an autofocus which I've heard is a nightmare to use.

Also how much was it cause if I can find a good deal on ebay I'll prob pick one up?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EyeClops-BioniCam-Video-Microscope-Jakks-Pacific-FREE-SHIPPING-/281110650684?pt=Educational_Toys_US&hash=item4173801f3c

thats the most reliable cheapest one i found on ebay for it. it does in fact go up to 400x, and the white part on front is almost a focus ring, you turn it to adjust distance between the scope and the item. its a bit of a pain to use because the whole front turns, so you have to take it off the object and stuff.

Hi All, In my experience, the most magnification needed for nib 'work' is about x15, I use two different 'loupes', one is x8, and the other is a x10 Triplet, the x10 magnifies enough for everything I do.

I have tried a x100 out, in a shop, and it was far too close in, I thought.

yeah. might be good for neat freaks XD

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EyeClops-BioniCam-Video-Microscope-Jakks-Pacific-FREE-SHIPPING-/281110650684?pt=Educational_Toys_US&hash=item4173801f3c

thats the most reliable cheapest one i found on ebay for it. it does in fact go up to 400x, and the white part on front is almost a focus ring, you turn it to adjust distance between the scope and the item. its a bit of a pain to use because the whole front turns, so you have to take it off the object and stuff.

Thanks for the info. Looks interesting I saw some videos I'm pretty sure it doesn't go up to 400x from the videos posted under the 400x cause I've used 40x objectives under 10x viewing power with real microscopes and it doesn't seem like it goes that far but it does look like it goes over 200x which is impressive for a toy thats under $100 I might want to get one but I'd want to try it out first.

Thanks for the info. Looks interesting I saw some videos I'm pretty sure it doesn't go up to 400x from the videos posted under the 400x cause I've used 40x objectives under 10x viewing power with real microscopes and it doesn't seem like it goes that far but it does look like it goes over 200x which is impressive for a toy thats under $100 I might want to get one but I'd want to try it out first.

im not sure if its me, but you seem to be confused. the optical x the viewing power is the magnification, so 40x x 10x would be 400. but aside from that fact, the eye clops is not saying 400x objectives, but 400x magnification total.

thats also one of the newer ones, some of the older ones only went up to 200x.

Edited by pingo5

im not sure if its me, but you seem to be confused. the optical x the viewing power is the magnification, so 40x x 10x would be 400. but aside from that fact, the eye clops is not saying 400x objectives, but 400x magnification total.

thats also one of the newer ones, some of the older ones only went up to 200x.

I know 40x objective and 10x viewing is 400x mag thats why I said it cause it just doesn't seem like its as powerful as a microscope at 400x mag also I don't think that kind of magnification would be possible on a handheld device or useful as the focus would be incredibly hard to stabilize.

it does! or close to it. i managed to find the usb,, so here are some samples, of text on paper.

400x came out a bit fuzzy cuz im too lazy to focus it lol

at 100x magnification:

http://i.imgur.com/Ry5hOKf.jpg

at 200x magnification:

http://i.imgur.com/HTzOF8d.jpg

at 400x magnification:

http://i.imgur.com/xRL0Q3R.jpg

Edited by pingo5