Mister John

post-96604-0-18196200-1369343382.jpg

I recently picked up a Lamy Nexx while traveling through the Netherlands. The Nexx seems to a a substitute for those who do not like the Safari. It costs about the same and has, perhaps, a slightly younger vibe to it. Two things led me to buy it. First, it had a bright orange cap, the official color of the Netherlands, so I thought it would be a nice memory. Second, it features a left handed nib and, being a lefty, I'm a sucker for such things.

post-96604-0-33183700-1369343357.jpg

The pen has the usual solid Lamy construction. The body of the pen features brushed aluminum. It looks like the same material as the Al Star. While it looks lovely now, the Al Star was definitely prone to scratches and marks. We'll see how the Nexx does in that department. Stay tuned here for updates.

There is a thick ABS plastic liner beneath its aluminum outer skin. The section is made from solid plastic, but there it has more of a rubbery feel, like there is a bit of cushioning. Overall, it is much improved over the Safari. The cap is made from thick, bendable plastic. It has the peculiar feature. that the clip extends above the top of the cap and has an open ring. I presume this is so you could attach the pen to a lanyard of some sort and carry it around that way. All of these parts seem pretty close to unbreakable.

post-96604-0-11958800-1369343373.jpg

The pen also has various self-preservation features to prevent it from rolling off of surfaces. The clip on the cap sticks out far enough that the cap will not roll. The body of the pen is triangular, so it too will not roll. Finally, the cap seems very securely attached to the body though it does not require excessive force to uncap the pen. I rather doubt that the cap and pen will part company unintentionally.

All of this is to say that the pen is amazingly functional. Lamy has clearly put a lot of thought into all the little things that can go wrong with owning a pen and using it hard on a daily basis. This pen is designed to withstand those rigors. Indeed, this may be the most thoughtfully designed pens that Lamy has produced.

One big issue many people have with the Safari is that it is "style challenged." It's not clear to me that the Nexx answers the call in that regard. The triangular brushed aluminum body is definitely a step up from the Safari, but I'm not sure the oversized plastic cap is going to be a crowd pleaser. If you appreciate design strongly influenced by the form follows function philosophy, the Nexx will be your cup of tea, but I suspect for many it will be too utilitarian.

post-96604-0-59054200-1369343365.jpg

The nib is identical to the Safari. My left-handed nib is annotated as LH. It works flawlessly, writing between a fine and a medium. It's smooth and perfect. There is no line variation, but a bit of shading is possible with the correct inks. No hesitation, skipping, hard-starting, etc. Just a good, solid nib. I'm not sure what makes it left-handed. According to the person in the store where i bought it, pen manufacturers routinely sharpen one side of each nib asymmetrically where the side depends on handedness. Supposedly, lefty nibs are sharpened on the opposite side. First, I have no idea what good sharpening a nib might do. Second, I've never heard of such a practice, so it might be pure BS. Is any of this true?

Taken as a whole, I'm very happy with my Nexx. I like the utilitarian aesthetic and I definitely appreciate all of the user oriented touches of the pen. The left-handed nib works extremely well for me and produces a line that is just the right width, MF. I prefer it to my Safaris though this could have more to do with its newness than anything else. A key question is whether the Nexx has solved the marking and scratch prone nature of the aluminum surface of the Al Star with this foray. If so, the pen will, in my eyes, be superior in every way to a Safari. We'll simply have to wait and see.

If you're in the market for a cheap, dependable pen that has many thoughtful design features, the Nexx is definitely something to check out.

post-96604-0-60055200-1369343389.jpg

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• doggonecarl

• Teacher Man

• Nosferatualso

• shea2812

I have the Nexx M. The clip on this pen is not as easy to use as the Safari but some people might like the lanyard hole. The aluminum body scratches easily. There's also no window in the body to see the ink, which is a minor quibble. But the bottom line is that the grip is much more ergonomic. It's the only reason I use this pen at all.

Experience is a hard teacher. She gives the test first, the lesson afterwards.

Thanks for the nice review, I'm glad you like the pen. I love my Lamy 2000. I tried to love the Safari etc. but couldn't get into the pen, too much plastic or something. As a lefty I also tried the LH nib, but without success. Maybe I got unlucky, but it was a terrible nib. Reading about the details of the Nexx make me want to try it, but looking at it all I see is school pen. Hopefully it is a school pen and a pen that successfully introduces new FP users to the utility of the FP.

Nice review.

I have two Nexx pens, a regular Nexx with a fine nib and a Nexx M in EF. The Nexx is one of the smoothes writers I have and every time I ink it I ask myself, how come this isn't my every-day-carry pen?

I lean toward modern looking, non-conventionally-designed pens, so I like the look of the Nexx with it's big, bulky cap. But then again, I like the looks of the Rotring Core too!

Nice review Mister John. You can get these in the States if you want to pick up another color. BTW are you an overwriter or an underwriter?

• 1 year later...

I agree completely on Nexx being superior to Safari. It is both better looking with the aluminium body and very comfortable with the rubber grip section.

Sorry for waking up this thread but I think this pen need to be seen and heard of more on FPN.

Sorry for waking up this thread but I think this pen need to be seen and heard of more on FPN.

I think that's happening. In the past few weeks, I've seen several posts regarding the Nexx and several FPN members adding them to their rotation. Perhaps one will add his/her review.

• 9 months later...

Snagged on impulse the predecessor, Lamy Smile with M nib. The waxy feeling on the nib when it glides on certain paper is growing on me. I was never drawn to Safaris due to the feel of the harder triangular section on them. Am more used to Pilot Calligraphy (Plumix equivalent) which I have more than one. Judging by my Smile I think i can take some beatings too. One to recommend but then on look alone it has lost to the ever popular Safaris. Lamy should consider doing Safari with Nexx's rubberised grip, I am pretty sure there will be a lot of takers for that. It is more forgiving to those with unconventional grip style on their writing implements.

• 1 month later...

I agree completely on Nexx being superior to Safari. It is both better looking with the aluminium body and very comfortable with the rubber grip section.

The cheaper Lamy models are used by many German students, and I think they are at least partly geared topwards them. There was a time when you could almost watch the Safaris being replaced by Nexx (Nexxs?), in waves or something. As a teacher, I usually walk around during exams and quietly take stock. Mostly 40-60% fountain pens, the rest ballpoint or fineliner. The pens mostly Lamy, and we're back to mostly Safaris, still a few Nexx, and only a few Al-Stars. Safaris are the most chewable of the three, and the more nervous students will usually reach the cartridge within a year or so. This is the only way I have ever seen a Lamy pen destroyed. Otherwise, they seem to be mostly indestructible.

Okay, I used to have the Letter Writers Alliance and The Snail Mail Exchange in here. Somehow, my browsers settings and the forum's settings work together to prevent that from being the case at the moment. Whenever I try to update my signature, the whole process breakls down. So. Whatever.