Meisterstuck 144 Classique Corrosion Question

sargetalon

I would add that this isn't a unique problem with the 144. Models from other pen makers from that era suffered the same issue. That's why this kind of trim isn't so prevalent now.

Amen Brother, preach the gospel. Waterman in particular faces that problem with many of their top of the line models at the time.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jar

• meiers

• pajaro

• sargetalon

The Parker Sonnet uses this trim ring, and they stain also. You can get a lot of use out of your 144 before functional damage occurs. Might as well enjoy using the heck out of your pen. In this size pen, these are hard to beat.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

I would add that this isn't a unique problem with the 144. Models from other pen makers from that era suffered the same issue. That's why this kind of trim isn't so prevalent now.

Well said. And other models by the same maker.

The equivalent ring on my 146 (made from some sort of plastic, the lip of the feeder sleeve) has also succumbed to the years of bottled ink it has endured.

One large piece fell off the lip, followed very soon after by another.

Pen still works fine - but it deserves a new part, so I'm on the hunt.

• 4 years later...

I had owned a 144 years ago that corroded. In December I bought a NOS 144 in Bordeaux that came with the converter. However I am only going to use cartridges because of the corrosion. I had been refilling cartridges for years, Shaeffer, Parker etc... at a yard sale I bought a Veterinarian set of needles and syringe, a lot of people here in Montana immunize their own animals. Even with that I always wipe the section off.

Is the corrosion really important?

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."

I find it interesting that none of my Pelikans suffer from corrosion. My M600 has been in daily use since 1991 and, although a little stained, it is fine. I have a 144 which has seen less use and the ring has corroded through. Does that say something about the quality of the plating?

Peter

I find it interesting that none of my Pelikans suffer from corrosion. My M600 has been in daily use since 1991 and, although a little stained, it is fine. I have a 144 which has seen less use and the ring has corroded through. Does that say something about the quality of the plating?

It definitely says something about the plating that was used on the 144 ring that's in contact with ink. :(

My Pelikan M800 has lost a little piece of the gold on its trim ring (with that "window" into the ring, I can see that the metal is extremely thin). So has my Cross Townsend. I'm not a fan of plated section-lip rings.

fpn_1375035941__postcard_swap.png * * * "Don't neglect to write me several times from different places when you may."
-- John Purdue (1863)

I have a 144 bordeaux pen I bought in 1983, and the trim ring has not corroded through, in spite of a lot of use. True, the ring has blackened, but it is still there. This pen's trim ring is adhered to the section. Later models of 144 with metal section threats instead of the earlier black plastic, have a trim ring that screws on to the section. This avoids the problem with the adhered trim ring where it comes off and cementing it back on doesn't seem to work. Then you have to send the pen to MB, and they replace the section with the updated section. I have been there and done that.

I don't let the blackening of the trim ring bother me. My four pens have not had a trim ring corrode through.