Pilot 78G Broad (Stub) Long-Term Review

Mister John

Hmmmm, do you think you could turn it into a sac filler or an eyedropper? I really hate the converter which came with it. But it is a great pen, and fiddling with them is a joyl

It's for Yew!bastardchildlil.jpg

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tom Traubert

• Fabienne

• Gloucesterman

• WirsPlm

Hmmmm, do you think you could turn it into a sac filler or an eyedropper? I really hate the converter which came with it. But it is a great pen, and fiddling with them is a joyl

Sac filler probably not, given where the threads are for attaching the barrel and section. Eyedropper maybe, but since the plastic is thin I'd think you'd have problems with burping (although modern pens are better about this than vintage, often). The CON-20 converter can be annoying, but you can get the much nicer CON-50 for $5, or Pilot cartridges are the easiest to refill and you can even reseal them very easily (I just learned how to do this the right way, it's awesome) so you can carry carts of your favorite ink around.

I have one with the B nib. I loved that pen, but it started leaking on me so I don't use it anymore. :( I would definitely order some more of them if I didn't have way too many pens. It's a great starter pen, and I love that the B nib is a stub.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_qVJOiluU9_4/THp4iGeCcpI/AAAAAAAAA2A/xh2FRE0B8p0/s1600/InkDropLogoFPN3.jpghttp://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

It hasn't been mentioned, but the section screws directly into the Metropolitan/MR bodies. So if you find the plastic a bit cheap or light you can always shift your nib over.

Hello.
I'm entering into the world of the fountain pens, and I'm thinking of buying one of these.
Unfortunately in Brazil is very dificult and to much expensive to buy any model of fountain pen, because the people has no the minimum habit in use this type of pens. Per example, I saw a fountain pen in person only once or twice. Here the price of any model is 2X or more expansive compared to the USA values.

But buy with hong kong's sellers seems to be a good business.
I want a cheap fountain pen to start training and to see if I like the "spirit of writing" using one, before pay in a most professional pen.
Perhaps be the Pilot 78G (medium nib) a good one for a newbie like me?

Yes, the 78G with a medium nib is a nice first pen. It has a plastic body with a screw on cap. If you prefer a metal body with a snap on cap, you mightl look at the Metropolitan/Mr model.

Edited by Scribblesoften

Hello.

I'm entering into the world of the fountain pens, and I'm thinking of buying one of these.

Unfortunately in Brazil is very dificult and to much expensive to buy any model of fountain pen, because the people has no the minimum habit in use this type of pens. Per example, I saw a fountain pen in person only once or twice. Here the price of any model is 2X or more expansive compared to the USA values.

But buy with hong kong's sellers seems to be a good business.

I want a cheap fountain pen to start training and to see if I like the "spirit of writing" using one, before pay in a most professional pen.

Perhaps be the Pilot 78G (medium nib) a good one for a newbie like me?

yes it is a very good starter pen ! very RELIABLE, always starts the first time, good flow... I've written none stop for like 4 hours ( 6-7 pages) for an exam and the flow was great from the beginning to the end. But there is one thing I need to mention : the "screw lines" for the cap on the barrel ( near the grip section ) becomes uncomfortable after one hour or two... but it was a pretty extreme use and it is not a daily issue unless you write a LOOOT.

And Scribblesoften's point is very to take in consideration !

Sac filler probably not, given where the threads are for attaching the barrel and section. Eyedropper maybe, but since the plastic is thin I'd think you'd have problems with burping (although modern pens are better about this than vintage, often). The CON-20 converter can be annoying, but you can get the much nicer CON-50 for $5, or Pilot cartridges are the easiest to refill and you can even reseal them very easily (I just learned how to do this the right way, it's awesome) so you can carry carts of your favorite ink around.

Ahhh, you are a genius! Thank you !

It's for Yew!bastardchildlil.jpg

I got a 78G with a B stub nib, half hearted e-bay purchase, and find myself using it more and more.

Very impressed with how it writes and why oh why cant more expensive pens be so damn good straight out of the box ??

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

I got a 78G with a B stub nib, half hearted e-bay purchase, and find myself using it more and more.

Very impressed with how it writes and why oh why cant more expensive pens be so damn good straight out of the box ??

Yeah. I use it for marking pupils' work. I alternate between that and my TWSBI Diamond 580 (also a stub); whilst it's not quite as smooth (but a darn sight smoother than my Cross Apogee that cost ten times as much), it's still very smooth and lays down a slightly slimmer, but somehow more italic, line.

I sometimes just worry I'm going to crush its flimsy plastic body to nothing. But I could just buy a new one!

Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.

Would you mind sharing your technique to reseal a pilot cartridge? Best regards

Would you mind sharing your technique to reseal a pilot cartridge? Best regards

It's actually Dillo's technique, found here: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/255506-transporting-con-50-converter-filled-vanishing-point/?do=findComment&comment=2819465. The key is to use something of exactly the right size to reseal the little plastic disc (I found that the small end of another Pilot cartridge works the best).

• 1 month later...

I recently bought two 78Gs, both with the medium nib. I was disapointed that both were dry writers. However, this video on Youtube really helped me get one flowing really well.

I'm going to do the same thing with the other pen.

"Sell you cleverness and buy bewilderment." Masnavi

This pen suits italic writing far more than vertical cursive. I've now done some SERIOUS regrinding of the nib - hey, it wasn't an expensive pen - to round the edges and soften the writing experience for me. I've probably ground off all the tipping, but the pen is more pleasant to write with. This process destroyed one of my buffing sticks!

The new Monteverde stub which I have is so much nicer out of the box, but costs 10x more.

The 78g is still a good pen for italic writing and so nice and light if, like me, you don't like heavy pens.

This pen suits italic writing far more than vertical cursive. I've now done some SERIOUS regrinding of the nib - hey, it wasn't an expensive pen - to round the edges and soften the writing experience for me. I've probably ground off all the tipping, but the pen is more pleasant to write with. This process destroyed one of my buffing sticks!

The new Monteverde stub which I have is so much nicer out of the box, but costs 10x more.

The 78g is still a good pen for italic writing and so nice and light if, like me, you don't like heavy pens.

If you're talking about a 78g B nib, well, the broad nib doesn't have any tipping material. Grind away!

If you're talking about a 78g B nib, well, the broad nib doesn't have any tipping material. Grind away!

Oh dear! Just as well really.

At first, I found this pen unusable, becaus e it was. so scratchy and caught on the paper. Months later, after reading that it was really a stub, and finding out about line variation, which had been unknown to me, I picked it up again with changed expectations, and had a great time, but writing very carefully and slowly.

My 78g B turned into a VERY expensive purchase, as it sent me running after stubs and italics. Completely rocked my fountain pen world!

One question, though. Mine had zero tipping on the nib. This is normal, right?

Cheers,

“It’s better to light a candle than curse the darkness

I love my 78G too, it can be used in daily writing but I found it a blt too dry.(I use pilot blue in my 78G Board)
It has a plastic feed, so I can't really enlarge the ink channels in the feed. :(

Adamselene, yes, the broad nib is untipped.

Davis, you should be able to widen the gap between the nib tines slightly, and this will increase ink flow. That is a common adjustment that is sometimes necessary on expensive pens! Search FPN or use Google for instructions.