An Enthusiast’s Collection – Part 2

pavoni

Amazing post. This was very informative. Thanks for the effort you took in composing this post. Your collection is incredible.

Bravo!!!!!!!

What a fantastic documentary and pictorial guide to some iconic pens from history.

Thank you for sharing your collection

+ 1 !!!

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pavoni

• tenurepro

• Soot

• idazle

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Excellent piece, Pavoni. As a fountain pen aficionado, I found your article insightful and masterfully written. It is true that writers are forged in the use of the fountain pen, indeed. Congrats!

First and foremost welcome MXFPfan and to you Thierry.

Clearly I am limited to the number of pens I can use at any one time and, it is pointless me having so many pens if they cannot be used in some constructive way - shared - albeit through this fabulous forum. After some 101 of my own (poor :blush: ) photos and countless words, I am so pleased that we collectively have managed to have this thread pinned, so that fellow FPNers, whether new or established, can come at their leisure and view and or contribute to 'our' collection.

I am glad you took the time to drop by and hopefully you were able to take away something useful.

Thank you for your very kind comments. Thank you also ThierryfromFrance for taking the time to drop in and be so generous in your appreciation.

Pavoni. :thumbup:

Hi all,

i thought that this would be a good venue to ask this question

how do you remove the piston assembly on the 234 1/2 with the telescopic mechanism (i.e. with D.P.R. markings).

Did you heat the section and screw it off? How did you heat it ? (will a hair dryer do)

if you are holding the pen with the cap in your left hand and the piston mechanism on the right hand, did you turn the piston mechanism counter-clock wise to get it off?

any tips and advice ? I am trying to lubricate the mechanism, and may even try replacing a cork-seal

Thanks!

Hi Tenurepro,

I cannot pretend to be in any way ‘experienced’ at this and hopefully, one of the experts will contribute with their experienced methodology. However, for me, I use the heat gun shown below on the lower of its two settings, together with a directional nozzle.

fpn_1370713049__dscf9622_zps05a9ec43.jpg

The ideal situation would be to have the heat gun in a fixed position on a work bench, to enable you to use two hands (to that you can heat, twist, heat, twist with two hands). However, I am still looking for an appropriate workbench (I want something special) and as such, I am reduced to holding the heat gun in my right hand, whilst holding the pen in my left.

As the various sections of these vintage pens are typically ‘sealed’, the objective has to be to heat the area around the threads I am trying to undo. I therefore hold the pen in my left hand slightly below the area I am trying to heat, so that I can feel the heat on my fingers thereby ensuring that the pen doesn’t get too hot (if it is too hot for my fingers, it most certainly is going to be too hot for a celluloid pen). So as not to scorch the pen, I probably hold the heat gun some 10 inches from the pen (possibly less).

I twirl the pen between thumb and index finger as I heat the around the threaded area. After say 10 revolutions, (it can obviously be as many as you think appropriate but be mindful not to get the pen too hot) I stop the heat and look to undo the threaded section by hand, carefully but purposefully twisting one way and then the other, just to loosen the seal.

The key to all of this is patience, and then more patience. I continue this until I have managed to ‘feel’ some give on the seal. Sometimes you hear a little ‘crack’. Hopefully this sound is of the seal giving, rather than the threaded section snapping. I find the pictured rubber-covered pliers very useful and use this to try to undo the piston mechanism, though one has to be sure not to exert so much pressure as to break/distort the barrel :headsmack:

Once I have managed to unscrew the piston mechanism, I screw it back on again, then off, then on again, just to ensure that I maintain the shape of the threaded section when the pen is still warm and that the male/female threads continue to fit.

That should be it. I have a bunch of practice pens (cheap piston-fillers from e-Bay) which I practice on. It is a fabulous feeling when it goes right. Oh, if the pen won’t give after a reasonable period, I leave it until the next day and start over again. Patience is the golden rule but it pays dividends. :thumbup:

For the benefit of those yet to try this, I would be grateful if you would share your experience when able. :)

Pavoni.

Just stunning Pavoni. Many thanks for this beautiful post and those stunning Sonnecken's......

awesome, thanks Pavoni;

to unscrew the section, do you twist it counter clock wise like you would if unscrewing a screw ?

Just stunning Pavoni. Many thanks for this beautiful post and those stunning Sonnecken's......

Very kind of you to take the time to comment Vera. I only wish I had Christof-like photo skills to do justice to those stunning Soennecken pens :blush:

awesome, thanks Pavoni;

to unscrew the section, do you twist it counter clock wise like you would if unscrewing a screw ?

Hi Tenurepro,

The way I always try to remember is by holding the piston filler in my right hand (nib end in my left) I twist into me, right thumb down :)

Pavoni.

• 1 month later...

Montblanc Pix Pencils

Having recently completed my ‘Grail’ pencil set, I thought I might celebrate and mark my 1,000th post at the same time with another episode for this thread :) .

It seems that pencils have been the natural companion to fountain pens, ever since the mass production and retailing of fountain pens. Typically sold in ‘sets’, I have often found myself more taken by the elegant lines of a Montblanc pencil than I have with the accompanying fountain pen. :blush: Little wonder therefore that I include pencils in my pen collections. However, despite the tremendous temptation to acquire the incredibly beautiful Platinum versions of MB's magnificent instruments, as with my MB vintage fountain pen collection, I have remained true to my rather strict criteria on colour – conservative black only.

Inspired by pictures in one of my 1939 Montblanc catalogues, for a number of years I have been trying to complete a complimentary series of pencils for my MB 13# series of fountain pens. I have used the luxury versions (L71 and L72) of Montblanc’s famous Pix range of pencils, to form the basis of my complimentary pencil collection, which include the 72, 82, and 92 models among others.

Of course, MB were not always successful with pencils. Their first serious attempt at pencils came in 1924; a push mechanism known as the ‘OB’. Rosler, in his excellent book ‘The Montblanc Diary & Collector’s Guide’ describes how, due to its complicated mechanism, the OB only lasted five years. However, typical of MB, they spotted the potential of an excellent push mechanism designed by a certain Mr Leistenschneider, who had developed the pencil for a German firm in 1933. Montblanc soon acquired the rights but only on Mr Leistenschneider’s strict condition that a minimum volume was sold. In 1934, with its famed marketing machine in full swing, MB launched the Pix 92 (a starter model) at a price point of just RM 3.00 Nicknamed the ‘Volkspix’, it was hardly surprising that this series of pencils remained in production right up until the 1950s - lasting testimony to Mr Leistenschneider’s invention as well as Montblanc’s vision and marketing expertise.

fpn_1375137911__dscf9096_zps1668fac5.jpg

MB 92 Volkspix 1934-1952

(This beautiful clip was replaced in later versions of the 92)

fpn_1375138041__dscf9098_zps7254e8bc.jpg

fpn_1375138245__dscf8146_zpsc5e9fe1b.jpg

MB L71, L72 and L73

Made of hard rubber with rolled gold trim and taking a 1.18mm lead, this series of 'luxury' pencils was introduced in 1936. The likes of the modern 'Voltaire' series and Hemingway, are mere imitators of these magnificent originals and as such, in my view, pale by comparison.

fpn_1375138548__dscf8147_zpsaf74c690.jpg

The white MB star adorns the top of the push button, whilst the patent registration number 569824 is displayed on the side of each of these push buttons. I am sure you can appreciate just how pleased I am at having at long last acquired the (clip-less) chubby L73 to compliment the L71 and L72 :D

fpn_1375139092__dscf8167_zpsc440d92f.jpg

To compliment the MB 13# Meisterstuck pens, we have the aforementioned Luxury Pix versions. The (hard rubber) K72 (with Meisterstuck clip) was likely sold to accompany the K132 given its small size. The basic 72 model and the model 82 (here we have early edition and later edition) were to compliment the 23# second tier of the series, whilst the 92 Volkspix (here we have the early and later edition) complimented the third tier.

Of interest is the fact that the 72 and 92 pencils held 1 lead in use with 9 in reserve, whilst the 82 model pencil, with its larger 1.50mm leads, held 1 lead in use with a further 5 in reserve. All Pix pencils came with a 10 year guarantee.

fpn_1375139323__dscf8138_zps9d2df9f7.jpg

The above were replaced from 1949 by the following Pix pencils, which complimented the new MB 14# series and stayed in production until around 1958.

fpn_1375140054__dscf8149_zpse6019400.jpg

MB 172 (sometimes with an 'L' suffix, 172K, 272, 272K, and 372.

The long 172 was naturally to accompany the MB 149, 146 or 144, whilst the shorter 'K' version was typically sold with the MB 142. The long 272 (haven't seen with an 'L' suffix) was to accompany the MB 246 and 244, whilst the shorter version 272K was for the MB 242. There were only really two third tier pens and so, given its size and price point, the Pix 372 was the accompanying pencil for the MB 344 and 342.

Here we see pencils fit for a Meisterstuck through the generations:fpn_1375141053__dscf8154_zps4c38f8e1.jpg

1930s MB L72, 1950s MB 172, and 1990s MB 165 (twist action).

fpn_1375141349__dscf8158_zps1c6cdaf4.jpg

And finally, I have a MB 172 Demonstrator (cut-out) to close off this particular series of pencils :)

fpn_1375141482__dscf8164_zpsde535109.jpg

fpn_1375141553__dscf8163_zps8d3e0fa9.jpg

Interesting :thumbup:

Pavoni.

Edited by pavoni

good job pavoni :thumbup: but you should have talked about the rare 1970's 146 with the transitional bi color nib and blue ink window as well as the mid 70's mid 80's 146 with the dark grey ink windows and full yellow gold or rose gold nibs, same goes fro mid 60's to early 80's 149 which combined a unibody and some interesting nibs

Edited by georges zaslavsky

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

good job pavoni :thumbup: but you should have talked about the rare 1970's 146 with the transitional bi color nib and blue ink window as well as the mid 70's mid 80's 146 with the dark grey ink windows and full yellow gold or rose gold nibs, same goes fro mid 60's to early 80's 149 which combined a unibody and some interesting nibs

Thank you for your kind words as always Georges. I would love to be able to own the pens you rightly mention, let alone comment on them but........my heart is with those magnificent MB pens from 1934-1954 :) Hopefully someone more qualified can add their bit!

Awesome, Pavoni! You should write a book now. ;)

Very kind of you logantrky. Really enjoyed seeing your own collection (fab pictures) and now looking forward to you getting the vintage bug :thumbup:

Wow Pavoni! Thank you for taking the time to do this. Wow is all I can really say !

Thank you for taking the time to stop by and comment Sblakers. Very much appreciate the support.

Pavoni.

• 2 weeks later...

Pavoni, words just can't do justice and I falter to come up with adjectives or praise that haven't already been used to describe your magnificent collection and the incredibly informative narrative. Thank you!

Congrats Pavoni,

Never seen such a beautiful collection of these brands. Must have been a monks' work to collect them, not speaking of the amount of work to get them in this exceptional shape.

Pavoni,

THANK YOU for taking the time and patience to share the pics and info with us.

And those comparisons between the models... :notworthy1:

I really like how you respond patiently to every question and remark.

Today I bought a vintage MB. According to the seller it is a 134.

I haven't received it yet. I think I will receive it later this day.

Hopefully you can help me dating and identify the pen.

My preferred supplier (no affiliation just a very happy customer):

Appelboom

Cracking extension to the Part 1 and thanks for taking the time to compile it. :)

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

this is such an informative and great post!

it's amazing to see all these pens side by side.. makes my heart beats faster...

Look for something, find something else, and realize that what you've found is more suited to your needs than what you thought you were looking for.

Want: Montblanc 146 Burgundy F | Need: What do you think?

Hope and faith goes hand-in-hand, because without hope there is no faith. The same goes with want and needs, without any wants, there no need to have a need.

Pavoni, words just can't do justice and I falter to come up with adjectives or praise that haven't already been used to describe your magnificent collection and the incredibly informative narrative. Thank you!

Gosh betweenthelens, I am humbled by your ever so generous appreciation. Thank you very much for taking the time to view the thread and comment :)

Pavoni.

Congrats Pavoni,

Never seen such a beautiful collection of these brands. Must have been a monks' work to collect them, not speaking of the amount of work to get them in this exceptional shape.

Many thanks Opooh. A monk's work is an excellent way to describe the discipline I felt necessary to apply whilst collecting. Now I am as poor as one :lol: That said, I am rewarded by being in a position to share my collection and improve my knowledge at the same time. Thanks for stopping by :thumbup:

Pavoni.

Cracking extension to the Part 1 and thanks for taking the time to compile it. :)

Nice one Pen Nut. Really appreciate you taking the time to look in and comment. Many thanks.

Pavoni.

P.S. I heard a rumour that the next Northern is going to be in Chester! As that is just around the corner for us, I hope to scrounge a drink or seven from you :D

Pavoni.

this is such an informative and great post!

it's amazing to see all these pens side by side.. makes my heart beats faster...

Many thanks for your kind comments. Information on vintage MB pens is not cheap and easy to come by and so, with Rosler's excellent 'must have' book out of reach for many here on the FPN, given the completeness of my collection, I feel somewhat obliged to share what I have. It is really pleasing to see so many take advantage of this thread. I can only hope to improve it further :)

Kind regards,

Pavoni.

These last few weeks have seen a number of FPNers get the vintage bug and there have been some great purchases :) Thanks for sharing guys. I have fielded quite a few e-mail queries and so I thought it time for another episode or two :thumbup:

For those of you looking to authenticate and date your vintage MB piston-fillers, but haven’t yet got access to the necessary catalogues and reference books, you may find the following useful :)

Meisterstuck nibs 1936-1954

This is the typical L139 14C '250' nib

fpn_1376705955__dscf8280_zpse7fc4793.jpg

The typical steel 250 version for the L139

fpn_1376706022__dscf8221_zps99813145.jpg

My understanding is that the ‘250’ nib is the original nib for the L139 (1939-1952), in much the same way that the ‘245’ nib was the original nib for the 138. This then is useful for dating the 139, where one would expect to see the long ink-window version carrying a ‘250’ nib.

This nib marking, used to signify the nib type or model designated for, was later replaced with the marking ‘L139’. It is likely that these nibs would be found on the short ink-window version of the 139 (short ink windows introduced in 1943) and continued right through to 1952 when the 139 was eventually replaced by the 149. Little wonder therefore that we are able to find L139 nibs on the very early 149 pens :)

The 1950s MB 149 14C nib

fpn_1376706254__dscf8282_zpsc109a167.jpg

This (on my MB 138) is the two tone Meisterstuck nib for the MB 138, 136, 134 and 132. I believe this nib was introduced in 1936 as part of Montblanc's revamp of the Meisterstuck line.

fpn_1376706419__dscf8224_zpsbcbbb5ea.jpg

Below we have the steel version (on my MB 134) of the same nib and typical of that found on a Meisterstuck from the war years. Juicy eh? :puddle:

fpn_1376706567__dscf8233_zpsc51d5ff6.jpg

This later version of the Meisterstuck nib (on a MB 136 transitional) has the additional ‘14C MONTBLANC 585’ marking and is the same nib as for the 1950s MB 146, 144 and 142.

fpn_1376707433__dscf8229_zpsb5275132.jpg

Montblanc piston-filler 2nd tier nibs 1935-1954

The 14C gold nib below was apparently in production from 1930 through to 1947. There is an earlier version (1920-1929) which carries the stamp ‘TRADEMARK’ towards the base of the nib (see Rosler page III). This one pictured (on my MB 235) is without the TRADEMARK stamp and was used for 2nd tier pens and as such, you should find it on the 235, 234, 234½, and 232. The last digit of the model number was the size of the nib and as such, you should see a match of nib size and model number.

fpn_1376713290__dscf8243_zps0fdc6d7d.jpg

Here (on my MB 236) you can see the steel version of the nib above. One of the problems with finding a pen with a steel nib is finding one without corrosion :crybaby: However, be mindful that these nibs make for excellent writers :thumbup:

fpn_1376706949__dscf8241_zpscc2e612c.jpg

Here is another version of the above nib for the MB 236, which looks as though it may well have been produced later. However, the MB 236 was itself only in production from 1939 to 1940 and as such, I suggest that any such pen with a gold nib is bound to be an early production model!

fpn_1376707039__imag0199_zps58c2add8.jpg

On this particular nib (on my MB 234), you can just about make out a letter ‘T’ which is underscored (bottom right). Any guesses as to why? There are a number of curious MB markings about which there is scant information (see separate thread).

fpn_1376707543__dscf8248_zpsc774983b.jpg

And again, wartime nib which is the right steel nib for the 234 ½. This nib is also seen on the wartime MB 334 ½. Both pens were long in production and as such, one is probably likely to find many such pens with steel nibs. The luxury version of the 234 ½, easily identified by the Meisterstuck clip, should come with a gold nib.

fpn_1376707773__dscf8255_zps16b40ab4.jpg

The nib below is a variation on the previous steel nib for the 234 ½ and this one carries the ‘WV4’ stamp (at the bottom), which I have unfortunately struggled to depict for you :blush:

fpn_1376707865__dscf8264_zps5384c2cd.jpg

Here we have another nib for the MB 234 ½ but this time a lovely Palladium version (as denoted by the flamboyant letter ‘P’ (beneath the 4 1/2). My understanding is that Palladium nibs were first introduced in or around 1938/9 for a short period before being replaced by steel nib production. Of my many pens, this is my sole Palladium nib. These nibs are supposedly rather fragile but excellent writers and therefore quite sought after.

fpn_1376707987__dscf8258_zpse7ddd53e.jpg

The nib below (on my MB 234 ½ Luxury) is from around 1948/9 and is on the later versions of the MB 234 ½. We can be confident that this nib is from this period because these nibs are also standard on the 1950s MB 246, 244 and 242 models.

fpn_1376708111__dscf8266_zps2a118d5f.jpg

Montblanc piston-filler 3rd tier nibs 1935-1954

Pictured below is exactly the right nib for the pen pictured, a MB 334, which was introduced in 1935 and ceased production in 1936. The nib is actually from MB’s earlier economy III Series and was in production from 1932 to 1937.

fpn_1376708248__dscf8273_zps611f668e.jpg

Whilst the MB 334 ½ and standard 234 ½ seem to come with each other’s nib(s), this nib pictured (on my MB 334 ½) is absolutely the right nib for the MB 334 ½ and the 333 ½

fpn_1376708450__dscf8252_zps17b43c45.jpg

It is useful (and fun) to remember the dates such pens were in production and, by also remembering that pens came with steel nibs during the war years because of the wartime restrictions on the use of gold. It isn’t really that difficult to date a Montblanc vintage piston-filler pen within a couple of years. We know that the 334 ½ and 333 ½ were in production from 1936 until 1948. Therefore, my 334 ½ pictured with a gold nib is pre-war, from between 1936-1939.

There are two models for the 1950s MB 344 and 342. Montblanc were very quick to change the cap design and grip section but the nib (below) and clip remain the same for both pens.

fpn_1376708602__dscf8283_zps1c2cfa0a.jpg

Back for another episode shortly :thumbup:

Pavoni

Edited by pavoni