An Enthusiast’s Collection – Part 2

pavoni

Hi Pavoni - thanks again for the research. Regarding the MB 236 ; you say that it was introduced in 1939 but discontinued it 1940. But there was a war-time version of the 236 (1940+ )? So is it safe to say that if you have a MB 236 with two gold cap rings, than the pen was made in 1939 or 1940 (or close to it).

Thanks again - i recently acquired a 236 and i am trying to date it

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pavoni

• tenurepro

• Soot

• idazle

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

AMAZING.

You made my day.

Thank YOU Meiers for making mine. As you know well, the enjoyment we get from our collections is from using and sharing. :)

Pavoni

Congratulations Pavoni !!

I enjoyed the idea of Episodes. Love the pens, love the presentation and the choices...

Thanks for sharing

Regards Ariel

Thank you Ariel. Actually, it wasn't until I was forced to consider the idea of 'episodes' that I actually realised it was a better way of setting the whole thing out. It will certainly be my intention to follow that format for my next comparison ;)

Pavoni.

thanks for sharing your nice collection with us :thumbup: :notworthy1:

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Wonderful Pavoni, actually it is worthy of being published in one of the glossy pen magazines. Very well done and personally I have learned a lot about the companies from your article.

Warm Regards

Hari

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

What a great reference piece with no nonsense & understandable narrative. Surely this will be pinned.

Now looking forward to the articles covering the 60's 70's 80's 90's !!! Go on you know you want to :D

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

Pavoni, thank you very much for sharing your exquisite collection with this wonderful, detailed post! It was an excellent read :)

Following others, can we get this pinned?

That is truly a wonderful collection, Pavoni. So many beautiful pens -- it must be a pleasure to write with them.

I didn't realize that you also collected Soenneckens. I'll admit to a weak spot for the models from the '50s.

Thank you for sharing!

Écrire c’est tenter de savoir ce qu’on écrirait si on écrivait. – M. Duras

Thank you, Pavoni, for a beautiful presentation.

Produced when the fountain pen was one of the leading communication devices, vintage pens are true Masterpieces of function and design.

Excellent historical portrait.

Cheers,

Greg

Thank you very much Greg for your time and kind comments, as always. I can really associate with your view of vintage pens.

Pavoni.

Hi Pavoni - thanks again for the research. Regarding the MB 236 ; you say that it was introduced in 1939 but discontinued it 1940. But there was a war-time version of the 236 (1940+ )? So is it safe to say that if you have a MB 236 with two gold cap rings, than the pen was made in 1939 or 1940 (or close to it).

Thanks again - i recently acquired a 236 and i am trying to date it

Hi tenurepro. Great question on the MB 236, which incidentally was a difficult pen to get hold of. In answer to your question, 'Yes', I think it is safe to assume that the MB 236 with two gold cap rings and gold nib is from 1939.

You can hopefully imagine, with my type of collection, and the way in which I collect (strict criteria), that I know which (from such a collection) are the more difficult models to collect. The MB 236 is such a fabulous pen (great size, weight, look etc) that I had wondered why it had been almost as difficult as a MB 138 to track down!

I first thought the pen was a victim of design (and cost), much like that which I 'suffer' when deciding on my next company car; do I go for the top of range from the lower-priced group of cars, (getting all the gadgets and extras etc) or, do I go for the basic car I can afford in the top-tier group (no heated seats, electric mirrors, etc)?

For research, I rely mostly on my catalogues (you can never have enough :thumbup: ), then Jens Rosler's 'The Montblanc Diary & Collector's Guide', then Stefan Wallrafen's 'Collectible Stars', and supplement these with information from Penboard.de, Tom Westerich's site, and of course our very own FPN (MB Forum ;)). According to these sources (Rosler page IX and Wallrafen page 91) the MB 236 was produced until 1940.

In terms of the wartime version, which I acquired from Penboard.de, whilst Rosler suggests that this style of MB wartime model (imprinted caps) were from between 1943-1947, as far as the MB 236 goes, I think we can accept the evidence available that the MB 236 was in production from 1939 until 1940 and so, the one I have with two gold cap rings and gold nib comes from 1939 (as pictured in my 1939 catalogue).

Note the 'wartime' steel nib on my wartime MB 236 complete with correct cap markings.

fpn_1369161065__mb235wartime_zpsa9c9ea26

It would be great if we could collectively try to deal with any other such questions, keeping this post 'live' to enable our greater learning of this fabulous period for Montblanc.

Pavoni

Edited by pavoni

Hi Pavoni,

Astonishing collection, my sincere congratulations !

Your profound historical knowledge is also very impressing

I really enjoyed looking at your fantastic pictures and reading on the historical background .

Thanks for shearing !

Francis

Wonderful Pavoni, actually it is worthy of being published in one of the glossy pen magazines. Very well done and personally I have learned a lot about the companies from your article.

Warm Regards

Hari

Thank you most kindly Hari. Given all that I have learned from your articles in the past, :notworthy1: I am glad you found this one to be of interest.

Pavoni.

What a great reference piece with no nonsense & understandable narrative. Surely this will be pinned.

Now looking forward to the articles covering the 60's 70's 80's 90's !!! Go on you know you want to :D

Thanks for the support Pen Nut. As for other articles, I have a further one in the making (shhh). However, given the state of me in the 70s, I don't think I would be qualified to talk on the look of anything from that fashionable decade! :P

Pavoni.

Pavoni, thank you very much for sharing your exquisite collection with this wonderful, detailed post! It was an excellent read :)

Following others, can we get this pinned?

Very kind of you to comment lunarfp, much appreciated.

Pavoni.

That is truly a wonderful collection, Pavoni. So many beautiful pens -- it must be a pleasure to write with them.

I didn't realize that you also collected Soenneckens. I'll admit to a weak spot for the models from the '50s.

Thank you for sharing!

Thanks Guy. Whilst my heart is with my MBs, the 1950s 111 and the 222 Soennecken series seem to be universally recognised for what they are......quality pens. Hope you manage to snag one before too long :thumbup:

Pavoni.

Edited by pavoni

Hi Pavoni,

Astonishing collection, my sincere congratulations !

Your profound historical knowledge is also very impressing

I really enjoyed looking at your fantastic pictures and reading on the historical background .

Thanks for shearing !

Francis

Thank you Francis. If it wasn't for :notworthy1: your technical and creative work on my Soennecken collection, :notworthy1: I would hardly have been in a position to establish a collection, let-alone be so proud to want to share it. I am therefore very pleased that you took the time to look in and comment. Thank YOU.

Pavoni.

Hi Pavoni,

Thank you for sharing your collection and the comprehensive history of these two pen companies with us. It was very informative and enjoyable. I wish one day I could reach a collection like yours. :-)

-- Bob

** Hi Moderator, can we pin this? :-)

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." -- A. Einstein

Here we see the MB 235 with its original ‘tall cap’, used on a few ‘new’ models during the mid-1930s. Some early versions of the tall cap would come with a tear-drop style clip but this pen has correct and latest fluted clip (1934-1941) which was to be typical of MB‘s second-tier piston-fillers.

fpn_1369001959__mb235blindcap_zps3feb1a3

The blind cap, with both model number and nib type imprinted, hides the piston turning knob.

Hi Pavoni, I forget to ask --- What kind of piston is utilized in the 235, normal ones or the brass telescopic type? Thanks! Bob

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." -- A. Einstein

Wow Pavoni!!! What a wonderful read. It was with great pleasure that I spent my first 20 minutes at work reading your post instead of doing what I was getting paid to accomplish.

Thank you.

http://www.ishafoundation.org/images/stories/inner/ie-logo.gif

Inner Engineering Link

Thanks Pavoni. Can you please post pictures of your 1939 236; nib, and cap markings so i can compare with my model (i'll also upload pictures here of my 236, for the archive :)

Thanks again. I am extremely fond of the 236 - great writer...

In terms of the wartime version, which I acquired from Penboard.de, whilst Rosler suggests that this style of MB wartime model (imprinted caps) were from between 1943-1947, as far as the MB 236 goes, I think we can accept the evidence available that the MB 236 was in production from 1939 until 1940 and so, the one I have with two gold cap rings and gold nib comes from 1939 (as pictured in my 1939 catalogue).

It would be great if we could collectively try to deal with any other such questions, keeping this post 'live' to enable our greater learning of this fabulous period for Montblanc.

Pavoni

Fabulous collection you have there

Many Thanks for sharing your collection with us :D

Thank you for taking the time look in and to comment Polleke. Much appreciated.

Pavoni.

Hi Pavoni,

Thank you for sharing your collection and the comprehensive history of these two pen companies with us. It was very informative and enjoyable. I wish one day I could reach a collection like yours. :-)

-- Bob

** Hi Moderator, can we pin this? :-)

Hi Bob,

Thank you very much for your typically kind words.

Pavoni.