An Enthusiast’s Collection – Part 2

pavoni

Wow! What an absolutely stunning collection! You put us all to shame.

Thank you for sharing.

Edited by HistoricalMan

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pavoni

• tenurepro

• Soot

• idazle

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wow Pavoni!!! What a wonderful read. It was with great pleasure that I spent my first 20 minutes at work reading your post instead of doing what I was getting paid to accomplish.

Thank you.

Thank you for your kind words Pelman. I am sure the FPN gets many hits at the beginning and end of office hours - they certainly get their fair share from me at that time (shhh) Great way to start the day! ;)

Pavoni.

Thanks Pavoni. Can you please post pictures of your 1939 236; nib, and cap markings so i can compare with my model (i'll also upload pictures here of my 236, for the archive :)

Thanks again. I am extremely fond of the 236 - great writer...

Hi tenurepro,

First, I start with an apology. I had referred to my other MB 236 as having a "gold" nib. Having checked it is in fact another steel nib :blush: I had mistaken it with my uncapped MB 235. Anyway, please see below a picture of the two pens.

You can see from the two MB 236 below that both have steel nibs and that they are ever so slightly different!

fpn_1369288069__dscf9320_zps3ac3cb8e.jpg

Here you can see on the Wartime version, that the nib has a crescent marking above and below the wording on the nib. In addition (I am not a good photographer :blush:) you can just about make out two sets of purposeful marks; which look like two upside down 'V's with a small horizontal underline (not quite a triangle) situated at 7 and 5 o'clock of the digit 6

fpn_1369288310__dscf9318_zpsd276d2db.jpg

Both pens have the correct flat feeds and the correct clips.

fpn_1369288729__dscf9324_zpsfbc64ccc.jpg

So, perhaps without a gold nib, it seems I cannot be absolutely sure of this other version being from 1939. The cap is exactly the same dimensions as the wartime version and both caps fit each pen well. Perhaps this MB 236 has the correct nib or perhaps it is a replacement. The fun/difficulty in collecting vintage MB pens is that there are so many opportunities in a vintage pen's life to have had replacement parts or parts altered.

If you have a gold nib version, I would be very grateful if you would post it so that we can update 'our' collection :D If there is sufficient interest in building this post further, we ought between us to establish an excellent and up-to-date record of vintage MB pens for everyone to have access to.

Pavoni.

Edited by pavoni

Hi Pavoni, I forget to ask --- What kind of piston is utilized in the 235, normal ones or the brass telescopic type? Thanks! Bob

Hi Bob,

The MB 235 has the direct brass piston. I am not a good photographer but hope the photo below helps.

For the sake of anyone else reading this, I have opened the piston so that we can see the piston fully extended, showing the cork at the top. We can then just about see the colour of the brass piston through the ink window. (the reflection on the cap lip makes it look as though someone has had a bite out of it - they haven't and it is fine B) )

fpn_1369290319__dscf9345_zpsd90af534.jpg

Pavoni

Edited by pavoni

In answering Soot's question above, whilst I am not in any way 'technical', I thought I would take the opportunity to share some pictures of Montblanc's famous telescopic piston.

One day in a state of delusion, I thought I was Foutainbel - I ain't. Whilst thinking I could repair a scruffy MB 134, I shattered the barrel. However, it did enable me to see how the telescopic piston works. Enjoy the fruits of my delusion :P Here we see the telescopic piston closed.

fpn_1369291410__dscf9343_zps43fef31c.jpg

MB 134's telescopic piston opened one stage.

fpn_1369291630__dscf9338_zpsb3cdeca7.jpg

MB 134's telescopic piston fully opened.

fpn_1369291692__dscf9341_zpsc3a142fe.jpg

MB 134's telescopic piston fully opened next to a MB 236 :)

fpn_1369291795__dscf9332_zps6a8d8b97.jpg

Hope this helps! Got to go, I am VERY late for work :headsmack:

Pavoni.

Wow! What an absolutely stunning collection! You put us all to shame.

Thank you for sharing.

Gosh! Thank you for your very kind comments HistoricalMan. :blush:

Pavoni.

Well, Pavoni says he "is not technical", nevertheless his episodes are very instructive, so I agree with Soot, the post should be pinned...

Ariel

Will post pictures of my 236 on the weekend. It's great that you have established this great resource. I am actually wondering if we should setup a wiki for MB users to post pictures of their Pens with timeline / spec tags. A pictorial database (I am worried that this site will go MIA again :)

Ok, here is what i am calling a 1939/40 MB 236 (based on Pavoni's research]. Don't have dimensions, but the grid on the paper is 0.5 cm x 0.5 cm. The pen has a whopping ink capacity of 2.7 ml !!! (blows my modern 149 out of the water)

Here it is capped

fpn_1369409790__236.jpg

fpn_1369409813__236_nibsectioncap.jpg

14 C gold nib, blind cap is marked EF, but this nib is something else. a stubish medium / bold (so wide lines going down, think sideway lines). Also, the nib flexes well, so you can get BB wide lines going down. Also note that odd marking beside the C... it initially looks like it is CT, but see close up below

fpn_1369409836__236_nib.jpg

It looks like two marks, a T with an sideways exclamation mark underneath it... don't know what to make of this.

fpn_1369409825__236_nibmark.jpg

fpn_1369409852__236_feed.jpg

fpn_1369409800__236_piston.jpg

I'll probably do a written review of this later, but it writes like a dream. I don't understand why they took such a lovely pen out of their lineup. the size is just perfect. I don't have a 136 in my collection, but can't imagine it being that much different.

NOW I understand what collecting of FPs means - and how far away I am from being a collector. This is an absolutely awesome collection, I am speechless (figuratively).

If I happen to get hold onto such a vintage pen (I am German), I will rather donate it to your collection than bury it in my desk drawer - really. I would know it would fulfill some meaningful purpose other than being used for doodling by me and I'm rather in modern pens anyway. Your collection has museum's quality (not quite sure if my English is correct here).

Thank you very much for sharing!

P.S.: My donation would go to Pavoni and only Pavoni! :P

For sale: M625 red/silver, P395 gold, Delta Fellini.

Well done in posting pictures of your wonderful MB 236 tenurepro, This is the first time I have seen a gold nib on a MB 236. And what a nib! :puddle:

REALLY looking forward to seeing that written review from that superb pen of yours. That gold nib is gorgeous and the pen makes a great addition to our collection of vintage Montblanc pens. Love it. Shall we agree that this is the missing 1939 version? :thumbup:

This is exactly what this post is supposed to be about....sharing our vintage MBs for the benefit of others :) On that point, don't worry about not having a MB 136 to compare your superb MB 236 with, I have three and will post a couple of comparison shots shortly.

With so many pens to play with, hopefully others will start to take advantage of the same type of comparison opportunities from this post. Hopefully we will get some help in keeping the post 'up there' so that it doesn't drift onto other pages and out of sight of any new FPNer. :wallbash:

Great photos by a great guy. Thanks for sharing tenurepro.

Pavoni.

Following on from tenurepro's excellent photos of his MB 236, I submit a couple of comparison shots of a MB 136 & MB 236.

Consider that in 1939, you could purchase a brand new Meisterstuck 136 for RM 27. Alternatively, if that was a little out of your budget, you could get a second-tier pen in the same size for RM 16.20.

The MB 136 and 236 are essentially the same size (photos can distort). I will look to publish a chart of the various sizes, weights etc in due course.

fpn_1369432315__dscf9348_zps7ad656dd.jpg

Here we see the same two pens uncapped.

fpn_1369432572__dscf9352_zps016aaab0.jpg

And a close up of the nibs (MB 136 and MB 236). Don't you just LOVE vintage MB pens! ;)

fpn_1369432687__dscf9358_zps8460eb0c.jpg

Pavoni.

Edited by pavoni

I invoke the "don't put all of your eggs in one basket" rule, and suggest you consider spreading the good will around, lest Pavoni and his collection gets abducted by aliens :)

NOW I understand what collecting of FPs means - and how far away I am from being a collector. This is an absolutely awesome collection, I am speechless (figuratively).

If I happen to get hold onto such a vintage pen (I am German), I will rather donate it to your collection than bury it in my desk drawer - really. I would know it would fulfill some meaningful purpose other than being used for doodling by me and I'm rather in modern pens anyway. Your collection has museum's quality (not quite sure if my English is correct here).

Thanks... the nib is mouthwatering indeed

Well done in posting pictures of your wonderful MB 236 tenurepro, This is the first time I have seen a gold nib on a MB 236. And what a nib! :puddle:

REALLY looking forward to seeing that written review from that superb pen of yours. That gold nib is gorgeous and the pen makes a great addition to our collection of vintage Montblanc pens. Love it. Shall we agree that this is the missing 1939 version? :thumbup:

This is exactly what this post is supposed to be about....sharing our vintage MBs for the benefit of others :) On that point, don't worry about not having a MB 136 to compare your superb MB 236 with, I have three and will post a couple of comparison shots shortly.

With so many pens to play with, hopefully others will start to take advantage of the same type of comparison opportunities from this post. Hopefully we will get some help in keeping the post 'up there' so that it doesn't drift onto other pages and out of sight of any new FPNer. :wallbash:

Great photos by a great guy. Thanks for sharing tenurepro.

Pavoni.

thanks for the comparison... the nib on the 136 seems a bit bigger than the nib on the 236, but other than the cap, the pens look identical. Am I to correct to conclude that the differences are mostly in the trim (nib, clip).

Also, another question... i've noted that in my 236 and in yours that the blind cap and piston section have a different colour / texture than the barrel... are they made of celluloid or hard rubber ? Can't imaging them wearing out differently if the entire pen was made of celluloid.

fpn_1369432315__dscf9348_zps7ad656dd.jpg

Edited by tenurepro

Pavoni, I was so moved by your collection and presentation, I have donated $20USD to FPN in your name. I could tell you thanks and how much I appreciate your presentation but this way you know I really mean it. As saying goes "action speaks louder than words".

Dear TomJKT,

I was quite moved by your generous comments and magnificent gesture. On behalf of all FPNers interested in vintage MB pens and those yet to be so :notworthy1: thank you.

Pavoni :thumbup:

Edited by pavoni

Pavoni, I was so moved by your collection and presentation, I have donated $20USD to FPN in your name. I could tell you thanks and how much I appreciate your presentation but this way you know I really mean it. As saying goes "action speaks louder than words".

:notworthy1: johnkim, :notworthy1: :notworthy1: :notworthy1: What an amazing act of kindness. Fantastic; absolutely fantastic. Thank you :blush:

Pavoni

Hi tenurepro, in answer to your question on the material of the blind cap and piston section, look at this previously used photo of my MB collection, showing how the hard rubber discolours over time. Whilst some people look to re-colour the rubber black, I prefer mine as they are :)

fpn_1369484552__dscn0335_zpsb4b816cf.jpg

Pavoni.

Hi tenurepro, in answer to your question on the material of the blind cap and piston section, look at this previously used photo of my MB collection, showing how the hard rubber discolours over time. Whilst some people look to re-colour the rubber black, I prefer mine as they are :)

fpn_1369484552__dscn0335_zpsb4b816cf.jpg

Pavoni.

Help! My jaw dropped to the floor and I can't pick it up! Pavoni, you have the most amazing collection, it is just eye candy to look at all of your beautiful pens.

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

—Oscar Wilde

I agree with all the other posts - that this is indeed a beautiful collection. I also hope it is pinned as a reference for all of us.

Pavoni, I have an interesting 136 that appears to be a transition pen - I'd appreciate your comments and opinion on it - if you have one similar in yout collection. At first blush, it appears to be a frankenpen, but a well known MB expert informed me it is a transition model (initials OS) - with a bullet shaped piston end, transition cap, etc. It has the telescoping piston filler, hard rubber between the piston end and the barrel. It has no markings on the end.

post-11846-0-46226800-1369510323_thumb.jpg

Dayne