Looking For A Smooth, Light Fountain Pen

Robiarti

Since I'm going to university after this summer, I thought it would be a nice idea to buy myself a new fountain pen.
I've always been extremely fond of my Sheaffer Sentinel which I got from my dad, but I'd just like to have a second pen in the price range from €0 to €60.

I've been looking at Sheaffer of course and I like the Agio. But the Diplomat Traveller also drew my attention as a nice looking pen. I don't like thick pens, or complete plastic (read: Lamy) ones. But what's more important to me is the weight (light), feedback (real smooth) and writing (fine).

When I was younger I owned a Waterman Kultur which I think was rather scratchy and an even scratchier Schneider.

Any advise would be appreciated!

Edited by Robiarti

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• whitedot

• Robiarti

• risingsun

• cbaytan

If my math is correct (lbs to dollars), the The LAMY Scala should be close to your price range. Also the LAMY Al Star is an aluminum pen you might like. Franklin-Christoph makes a very nice pen, well balanced, not overly thick as you describe. There are several models in a reasonable range of prices. Faber Castell is a favorite of ours at PenCity, especially the Ondoro model.

I second the Al Star - light like you want/like - but not plastic like the Safari. Well in your price range. Google tells me current exchange rate for 60 euros is just under $78 US. Goulet sells them for $37.60 + $4.95 for the converter (I hate the fact Lamy does NOT include the converter) or $42.55 USD/32.77 Euros including converter. You could get two for just over your 60 euro budget (~65) or at $13.00 each multiple additional nibs (10.01 euro each)....

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

I like the Platinum Preppy. Light weight and most have smooth nibs. Plus they are cheap.

Walk in shadow / Walk in dread / Loosefish walk / As Like one dead

I agree with the above... Check out the Lamy Al-Star... Buy ink with what's left.

Sun%20Hemmi2.jpg

If you can stretch your budget a couple of dollars more, you can pick up a TWSBI Vac700 for $80 USD. It is definitely not like the Sentinel, though. But it is an excellent pen for taking notes in college (b/c of the huge amount of ink it can hold), it is NOT a c/c pen (vacuum filler), and it is quite a striking pen as well- it just screams "fountain pen". Actually, right now, IIRC, TWSBI is having a bundle promotion where for $85 you get a Vac700 and a Vac20 ink bottle, which was specifically designed as a counterpart to the Vac700 and lets you fill the pen entirely in one shot. Not to mention it's a great "traveling inkwell", since it holds just about 20 ml anyway.

Maybe try a Lamy studio? All Lamy's under €100 have the same feed and nibs. You're just paying extra for the materials. They're all great pens though!

Edited by jethrobrink

Maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't consider the TWSBI Vac700 or the Lamy Studio to be 'light' fountain pens...

Sun%20Hemmi2.jpg

Thank you all for your advice.
In dollars I'd say I'm looking in the $0 to $80 price range.

I'm interested in the Lamy AL star, it looks like a decent pen.
However I'd still like to know how the Lamy holds up against the Sheaffer Agio and the Diplomat Traveller.
Although I could find some reviews on the Agio, the Diplomat fountain pens seem quite unknown.
The Waterman Hemisphere also appeals to me. So if anyone has experience with these, especially Diplomat pens, please let me know.

The Bexley Classique from Richardspens.com - available under Barbara's Attic. Light, super-smooth, really nice acrylic finish. I have one inked and it is a *steal* for the price.

True bliss: knowing that the guy next to you is suffering more than you are.

Pilot 78G, you can buy all 3 nib sizes for $28 or one for $8 + shipping. You can also easily convert them to eyedroppers. You can also lose them in the school without a big sorrow. :)

One boring blue, one boring black 1mm thickness at most....

Then there are Fountain Pens with gorgeous permanent inks..

Congratulation on your acceptance into university.

For your consideration..Parker "51" aerometric filler..

English Parker Duofold aerometric and button filler..

Two Esterbrook's lever filler.. one fine and medium nib.

A West German Senator piston filler with a smooth

plated fine nib..

Good luck and enjoy your time here.

Fred

Edited by Freddy

I'd recommend a sheaffer imperial II deluxe for your purposes. These can be purchased NOS for well within your budget and meet all of your requirements.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

Thank you all for your advice.

In dollars I'd say I'm looking in the $0 to $80 price range.

I'm interested in the Lamy AL star, it looks like a decent pen.

However I'd still like to know how the Lamy holds up against the Sheaffer Agio and the Diplomat Traveller.

Although I could find some reviews on the Agio, the Diplomat fountain pens seem quite unknown.

The Waterman Hemisphere also appeals to me. So if anyone has experience with these, especially Diplomat pens, please let me know.

My choice would easily be the Diplomat. The Diplomat's nib is in a league above the Lamy AL-Star and the Sheaffer Agio. No question. It is very, very, very smooth, much, much, much more pleasant than the Lamy's rigidity, and definitely superior to the Agio's entry-level thing. No doubt reviews have stressed Diplomat's reliability. Do not be put off by its lower profile.

No one has spoken up for the Agio, so I will. I think it's a great pen, and would easily meet your criteria. I don't know the Diplomat, so cannot make comparison, but I don't think of Agio as an entry level pen.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." - Sir Winston Churchill

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v30/carrieh/l.png

I'm going to second the vintage Sheaffer Imperial/Parker UK Duofold recommendations. They'll most likely be more to your tastes since you prefer the Sentinel (a Snorkel Sentinel, I presume?) and the fact that Parker/Sheaffer were big on competition back then.

You might find an older Touchdown to your liking; they easily fall within your price range and are just as reliable, sans Snorkel tube though. They're light, write smoothly, and generally have fine nibs. I would also recommend the Targa, but not as much since it's definitely a heavier pen. The balance when posted is a bit of an acquired taste.

Calculating.

No one has spoken up for the Agio, so I will. I think it's a great pen, and would easily meet your criteria. I don't know the Diplomat, so cannot make comparison, but I don't think of Agio as an entry level pen.

Somewhat subjective, I suppose.

However, on the Agio Compact which shares the nib:

http://penhero.com/PenGallery/Sheaffer/SheafferAgioCompact.htm

"I can picture this pen stepping out from the pen store, and finding a welcome home at the department store accessory counter and gift shops. Sheaffer could position this as the entry level pen to bring in new customers."

The Sheaffer Agio is without doubt a notch below the Sheaffer Prelude, and much as I love the Prelude, the Diplomat nib in my experience was superior.

My choice would easily be the Diplomat. The Diplomat's nib is in a league above the Lamy AL-Star and the Sheaffer Agio. No question. It is very, very, very smooth, much, much, much more pleasant than the Lamy's rigidity, and definitely superior to the Agio's entry-level thing. No doubt reviews have stressed Diplomat's reliability. Do not be put off by its lower profile.

Thanks for your advice, it's quite hard to find reviews or opinions on the Diplomat FP's. I've read that Diplomat's medium nibs write rather fine for a medium nib, and I do like fine writing. But I prefer smoothness over fineness.

By any chance do you know how the M nib holds up against the F nib?

I'm going to second the vintage Sheaffer Imperial/Parker UK Duofold recommendations. They'll most likely be more to your tastes since you prefer the Sentinel (a Snorkel Sentinel, I presume?) and the fact that Parker/Sheaffer were big on competition back then.

You might find an older Touchdown to your liking; they easily fall within your price range and are just as reliable, sans Snorkel tube though. They're light, write smoothly, and generally have fine nibs. I would also recommend the Targa, but not as much since it's definitely a heavier pen. The balance when posted is a bit of an acquired taste.

It's a Sailor/Sheaffer Sentinel from the 80's in fact!