The Crimson Carene

Left FPN

You know, looking at the Ivory again, in my opinion you should paint the jewel in ivory as well....

D.ick

You just might have something there D.ick and I will put that in todays schedule.

But this Crimson, the combinations seem endless....a Crimson Deluxe

fpn_1375599346__dsc_7386.jpg

Edited by Force

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Left FPN

• RMN

• misslucy107

• pajaro

Top Posters In This Topic

What a painstaking process...! I'm very impressed. I'm sure it is very rewarding after it's all done. May I ask how you learned to fix pens and how you got started (motivation, etc)?

What a painstaking process...! I'm very impressed. I'm sure it is very rewarding after it's all done. May I ask how you learned to fix pens and how you got started (motivation, etc)?

Yes, but most satisfying and very rewarding, thanks. More people should try it, that's why I post here to show how relatively easy a task it is to bring and old, or sometimes new, pen back to life.

This is only my second re-work, the Ivory Carene being the first. I have dabbled with a few older pens but that was only removing nibs and polishing parts. The Carene lends itself to being re-worked. The shape and materials of the barrel and cap are such that removing the lacquer and refinishing is like....painting your home, sand off the old and slap on some new. Removing the nib and clip is the difficult bit but once you have learned the technique it's not a problem. I am, by trade, an Instrument Maker but now spend my time at the computer designing things. It's nice to get back working with ones hands, be it a pen, car or home DIY (French doors, my current DIY house project).

The next Carene finish is now set in my mind and it will be a bobby dazzler. It's just a case of waiting for a donor pen to come along.

I am just away to buy some wood for the doors but will, later today, post a picture of the writing sample from the repaired nib.

Yes, the Deluxe look is nice

Back on the DIY and my helper is hard at it.....sleeping that is.

fpn_1376143799__dscn0010.jpg

and the test writing,

fpn_1376143897__dscn0025.jpg

Edited by Force

Thank you. I would love to try it out when I can find a place to work in (I'm a student living away from home at the moment...). Do you have a goal with your Carene collection (a Carene color wheel, perhaps)?

Ps. I love your helper!

Yes, you need a shed and some tools...but you sound young so plenty time after the qulifications :)

I have no chart just what suits me and the pens hardware colour. Colours that match gold are limited.

Yes, he helps where he can.

I LOVE the red and gold. I have the hunter green and gold cap carene deluxe, and they would look very nice side-by-side. I have a red and gold Waterman Exception Slim with almost that exact red and gold color scheme. Nice work!

Todd

:puddle: :puddle: :puddle: :sm_cat: ....indeed

I especially love the Ivory that way.

Sorry to ask, but here my partial colourblindness wreaks havoc...

The top two LOOK the same to ME. But am I right to say the top is the crimson and the second a green one?

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

D.ick, you are correct.

I tried taking pics with a light background and some colours did not work...to much white light changing the exposure (listen to me) and found the dark background gave a better result.

Now I must reveal a fraud, the Green pen is an RB. I did not have enough caps to produce a pic with all FP's. The caps on the Crimson and Ivory are from a pair of Green FP's

:notworthy1:

That's a very distinguished looking set!

Like D.ick, I especially love the ivory one with that gold cap.

WTB: Waterman Carene Royal Violet

• 6 months later...

I stumbled again on this thread. This stuck in my mind and I forced myself to buy a couple of Carenes, blue and amber marine. I am thinking about painting a Carene to go with my bordeaux Montblanc 144s, but not one of these two. The style of the Carene is unusual and I resisted. After using the fine and medium nibs I bought an extra fine nib. These pens are -- GAH! -- as nice to write with as my favorite Parker 51 and MB 144, and probably better. Unbelievable.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

I believed you, fortunately.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."

• 4 weeks later...

In between 58's and door overhauls I have been trying to get a good sharp picture but even with my D90 it seems way too soft.

fpn_1375549938__dscf4708.jpg

I don't know what lens you are using on your D90, but I found that the zoom lens that came with mine was just not suitable for sharp closeups. I bought a 40mm AF-S Micro Nikkor 1:2.8G lens just to take pen and flower pictures and the difference was astounding. And it's not a terribly expensive lens, at least as Nikon lenses go.

Here is a sample photo with that lens:

http://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/zmh0OUMzNTTN5T/7731060.0/800/p/Waterman_Carene_Nib.jpg

Bill Sexauer
http://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/zyNIMDOgTcgMOO/5768697.0/org/p/PCA+++Logo+small.jpghttp://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/zyNIMDOgTcgMOO/5768694.0/org/p/Blk+Pen+Society+Icon.jpghttp://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/TE3TzMUAMMYyNM/8484890.0/300/p/CP04_Black_Legend%2C_Small.jpg
PCA Member since 2006

• 2 years later...

Found this thread again. Burgundy Carene. That's what I need.

Nice to see the picture of the helper, Fergus. Rest in peace, Good Buddy. My old pal Chloe is resting in the woods in back. A house cat all her life, with no claws, she escaped and never would come in the house again. Loved the outdoors. I miss her and her soft, long fur.