The Crimson Carene

Left FPN

with bent nib and scratched body for £21.

fpn_1368904559__img_0616.jpeg

fpn_1368905980__img_0619.jpeg

Watch this topic :)

Edited by Force

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Left FPN

• RMN

• misslucy107

• pajaro

Nice color. Poor nib.

Going to be another of your special projects?

I'll keep watching.....

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

Nice color. Poor nib.

Going to be another of your special projects?

I'll keep watching.....

D.ick

The gold sheet used for Carene nibs is quite thick compared to other models and it appears the owner has not attempted to straighten it with pliers unlike the first one I repaired so it should come back to life OK.

According to the seller he bought it in 1998 so it's an early model.

Let's hope it gets safely through our postal service :(

The Abys...mal Blue.

fpn_1369463890__dscn0329.jpg

So the £21 bought a barrel, a converter and a box of 8 cartridges but hey, I bought it to try the Crimson finish and nothing else. It would have been nice to know the cap was loose on the section mind.

After a good ultrasonic clean the lacquer has numerous pin chips which were not visible before. One always says, shall I shant I well in this case its a yes I will.

and the chance to practice my nib rework techniques.

fpn_1369464345__dscn0324.jpg

and for those who have never seen a feed section, from which you can appreciate why these hold so much ink

fpn_1369466099__dscn0330.jpg

fpn_1369466142__dscn0331.jpg

fpn_1369466170__dscn0332.jpg

the nib adhesive can also been seen in the ear of the finger piece.

so here you have all the parts,

fpn_1369466501__dscn0333.jpg

Edited by Force

Indeed an impressive feed.

Thanks for the pics, Force

~

~

Well it was a busy day today, painted the radiator brackets, lounge window cill and over board, wired up the uplights and eventually got an hours pen time before attending a christening this afternoon...from which we are just back in. So a few pictures pertaining to lacquer removal...all self explanatory.

fpn_1369594010__dscn0338.jpg

fpn_1369594057__dscn0343.jpg

fpn_1369594097__dscn0352.jpg

fpn_1369594126__dscn0357.jpg

fpn_1369594154__dscn0362.jpg

You left a bit near the capring...

But actually it looks well this way, You'd have the first Carene flighter...

D.ick

~

~

You left a bit near the capring...

But actually it looks well this way, You'd have the first Carene flighter...

D.ick

No, it's a trick of the light.

A year or so back someone auctioned a stripped one on the bay and described it as a prototype 'Gold' model. Whoever did it used very course grit paper and it was obviously not a prototype. It did not sell for very much but I wish now I had bought it just to place new clothes on it.

One thing I did notice about the Abys is that the extensive ultrasonic clean revealed many corrosion pits in the clip. In fact it appears there is little gold plate left. I have not polished it yet so maybe this project might involve painting all the gold parts white or black to go with Crimson.

Edited by Force

you did a pretty good job :thumbup:

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Nib work for a couple of hours today,

before,

fpn_1369675049__dscn0377.jpg

fpn_1369675122__dscn0380.jpg

after, it looks better in the flesh.

fpn_1369675155__dscn0384.jpg

fpn_1369675187__dscn0387.jpg

fpn_1369675218__dscn0397.jpg

Update,

I decided to persevere with the clip repair/replacement which was fairly easy in the end. Plus it makes the painting of the cap much easier.

Extract the polyethylene plug with a tap, pull out the spring with a wire loop and waggle out the clip.

Spring in position up inside the cap before removal,

fpn_1370106541__capspringinplace.jpg

the parts,

fpn_1370104950__dscn0022.jpg

the tools,

fpn_1370105007__dscn0030.jpg

the assembly,

fpn_1370105044__dscn0038.jpg

old and new clips,

fpn_1370105094__dscn0045.jpg

cap opening,

fpn_1370105137__dscn0048.jpg

first (primer) coat,

fpn_1370105183__dscn0058.jpg

Edited by Force

Nice going Force :thumbup:

And intersting pics.

D.ick

~

~

Force what a great thread!

You take such good pics too.

Could I ask where you got the new clip from? Waterman? If so, how much if I might ask.

Can't wait to see it after the repaint. It's looking really good. Great, killer job on that nib man!

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Force what a great thread!

You take such good pics too.

Could I ask where you got the new clip from? Waterman? If so, how much if I might ask.

Can't wait to see it after the repaint. It's looking really good. Great, killer job on that nib man!

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Thanks for all the replies to my thread.

Waterman will not sell pen parts so any spares have to come from donor pens. The clip came from a Sea Garden I bought few years ago. Its cap had been damaged and the clip was bonded in with various adhesives. It was not until I took it apart recently that I realised the pen, albeit sold as an FP, had a BP cap fitted. It was not a problem because the clips are the same. The inside parts of the caps are different though and yesterday, while viewing the inside of the BP cap, a coil spring popped out and I have yet to determine if it should have been there. I will post a picture of it on my Carene Caps topic.

I would have liked to have worked the nib more but once damaged there is not a lot an amateur can do to put gold back where it should be.

Here is the donor (damaged) cap.

fpn_1370144338__dscn7770.jpg

All pictures are taken with a Nikon Coolpix 950 (twice repaired) bar the inside of the cap where I used a D90 fitted with a 105 macro lens.

Edited by Force

More painting and rubbing down.

This part is rather boring for you guys so I will only post again when its complete and top lacquer coated.

There will also be a surprise with this project...something not seen on a Carene before B)

natural light

fpn_1370283271__dscn0065.jpg

sunlight

fpn_1370282967__dscn0066.jpg

Edited by Force

Hmm, hmm.

Following along with interest...

(Got a circa '97-'98 in the other room. Have been thinking of inking it up of late. Am thinking about it a little more now...)

Écrire c’est tenter de savoir ce qu’on écrirait si on écrivait. – M. Duras

Things are moving on....slowly though.

I have applied about 6 coats now and probably have another 1 or 2 yet plus the lacquer. Paint, rub down, paint, rub down.....it's a hard life.

The lounge makeover, extraction of one tooth and the sad, early, demise of the Toshiba TV have hindered progress.

• 2 weeks later...

Can't wait to see the end result, looks like it's going to be stunning! I loved your ivory Carene too.

WTB: Waterman Carene Royal Violet

Can't wait to see the end result, looks like it's going to be stunning! I loved your ivory Carene too.

Yes, sorry, my mind has been elsewhere the last 10 days. A couple of people I have known much of my life were 'called' last week and in the same family line. One was way to young.

On the re-work, I will say the Ivory was a lot easier to paint than this Crimson. It took less coats before I felt it was suitable for the lacquer. Hopefully I should be able to put a few pics up later today on progress.