Sidebound A4 Pad (Uk/online)

horationelson

Can anyone recommend a top quality A4 writing pad (for fountain pen and other types of pen), which is bound sideways (i.e. glued along the left hand side)? White or cream colour. Ideally lined.

I recently bought an A4 writing folder from Smythson. As nice as the product is, I just feel that the blue shaded paper it comes with isn't what I'm after. It is nice paper, but I don't like the fact that it has a Smythson front cover on it in blue (looks pretentious) and I'd rather have white/cream paper.

Any recommendations?

Frustratingly, it seems that most pads are top-bound (e.g. Crown Paper Mill). And Smythson appear to have changed to side-bound in the last year or two.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• horationelson

• CharlieTurtle

• cybaea

• gosudar

I personally have never had a problem with Pukka Pads.

You can spot a writer a mile off, they're the ones meandering in the wrong direction muttering to themselves and almost walking into every second lamppost.

I've been looking for ages, and can't believe that Pukka/Ryman are the only semi-decent makers out there!

Unfortunately, Clairefontaine, Rhodia, Graf Von Faber Castell, Crown Mill, Crane etc all only seem to do top bound/loose paper.

Surely someone must have some other ideas?

You could also self-bind paper. Take a top-bound pad and remove the sticky part across the top and re-bind down the side.

You can spot a writer a mile off, they're the ones meandering in the wrong direction muttering to themselves and almost walking into every second lamppost.

horationelson, hi!

You might find the Leuchtturm 'Academy' pads of interest. They come in A4/A5, ruled or blank. I haven't used them myself, but am a long-term user of other Leuchtturm notebooks. I think you can get them here in the UK from www.thepaperie.co.uk or www.bureaudirect.co.uk (no affiliation with either, as they say - only a satisfied customer of both). The pads come in a Leuchtturm hard cover, but are a side-glued pad rather than a bound notebook. Hope this is of some use to you?

G

Other suggestions are the Rhodia Exabook refills (but these are wire bound), or the Clairefontaine agebag stapled notebooks (if you don't need the ability to remove pages).

horationelson, hi!

You might find the Leuchtturm 'Academy' pads of interest. They come in A4/A5, ruled or blank. I haven't used them myself, but am a long-term user of other Leuchtturm notebooks. I think you can get them here in the UK from www.thepaperie.co.uk or www.bureaudirect.co.uk (no affiliation with either, as they say - only a satisfied customer of both). The pads come in a Leuchtturm hard cover, but are a side-glued pad rather than a bound notebook. Hope this is of some use to you?

G

I use them and like them a lot. But as you say: they come in their own cover and £14 is a lot to drop on a notepad.

(And for my purposes it is a little frustrating that Bureau Direct does not stock them blank. But the OP wanted lined so he is in luck. It is 8mm lines, not 10mm as in many of their other books and certainly not 5mm as in the description on the Bureau Direct web site.)

I am no longer very active on FPN but feel free to message me. Or send me a postal letter!

I use them and like them a lot. But as you say: they come in their own cover and £14 is a lot to drop on a notepad.

Incidentally, I just ordered custom printed notepad for our company from our usual printers. It works out at about £2.50 per pad (when buying 100, incl VAT), and they will glue on any of the four sides as you want. You just have to send a PDF with your favourite ruling.

This is with standard 'cartridge paper', not the top end you are looking for. But I am pretty sure they could do the pads with any paper they can print on.

Just saying you may want to have your own made....

I am no longer very active on FPN but feel free to message me. Or send me a postal letter!