22johnny22

I would really appreciate some advice

I have a pen for sale on ebay that I have made some presumptions about based on an internet search and hope not to mislead in the advert but on the other hand dont want to sell myself short.

the pen has a 14k nib says Parker Moderne made in canada on the side and has a cap at the base which unscrews, there is though nothing under the cap and I believe there should be a plug or something similar (no idea on terminology!)

I am slightly confused as to whether this is a depression/ thrift pen or not.

Is it correct some were made in Canada and some in the USA?

any advise would be most welcome

regards

22johnny22

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 22johnny22

• Scrawler

• Inkysloth

• Ernst Bitterman

A photo of what you're talking about would be useful - but it sounds like you're talking about the button used to fill the pen - this would be under the blind cap at the end of the barrel.

Instagram @inkysloth

Thought I might be asked that! these are the best I have at work, could post the link to the pen on ebay but I am not looking to drum up interest

thanks

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Vintage-PARKER-MODERNE-Fountain-Pen-depression-thrift-time-/00/s/NDgwWDY0MA==/z/Sj8AAMXQsMZRj~Eb/$(KGrHqNHJF!FFwcJd6+(BRj+E,y0TQ~~60_14.JPG http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Vintage-PARKER-MODERNE-Fountain-Pen-depression-thrift-time-/00/s/NDgwWDY0MA==/z/XtQAAMXQ8ABRj2Jv/$T2eC16hHJIQE9qUHu0cHBRj2JvZkkQ~~60_14.JPG

Edited by 22johnny22

Can anyone identify this pen from my discription and photos?

Any help most welcome

The Moderne was a button-filler; there should be a little mushroom-headed stud under the tail cap (technical term: blind cap). Under that, there should be the end of spring-bar, a little sharp-looking U-shaped piece of metal (see photo). It's not impossible to replace both, but it they're missing it should be a consideration in the price.

http://dirck.delint.ca/beta/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/hangbar.jpg

I can't remember if the Modernes have the hanger-bar or not... I think they do, and it should also be visible at the button hole.

Edited by Ernst Bitterman

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

Thank you very much for your help, my pen does not have either, so will make this clear on the advert

I bought a Moderne in that condition for a bit less than the asking price on the one Inkysloth posted. A press bar with a hangar was located for me and a button was manufactured to put on it. The total cost of restoration plus the original cost of the pen made for a very expensive pen that I do not consider worth it. These are made from a fragile plastic material that chips and cracks easily. Although Canadian made the nib is hard and rigid. They were meant to be budget student pens during the depression. I would not try restoring another, but might clean one up and keep it as a historical artifact.

Thank you to both of you.

It is indeed the pen in question, I put the opening bid at this price as I did not want the pen to go for much less and the nib sold for scrap.

cheers

It is indeed the pen in question, I put the opening bid at this price as I did not want the pen to go for much less and the nib sold for scrap.

cheers

It is a real shame when people take the nibs for scrap. There really is not much gold value in it. I like to collect nibs from dead pens and make Frankenpens out of them. That particular nib can be put into an Esterbrook carrier to make a nice pen. Despite what I said about my Moderne being firm and rigid, it is not as firm and rigid as an Esterbrook nib. Go take a look in the Esterbrook forum, or search the site for "Frankenpen" to see what some of the members here do with such things. You may even find that someone who wants to experiment with restoring it themself will buy your pen for more than the scrap value of the nib. In my case I paid a professional, but there are other members here who have the time and tools, so do not give up on it.

cheers

That makes sense. I hate the thought of old nibs being scrapped. I guess some are going to be really knackered and not worth repair, but if the nib's still functional then I feel like it *should* be used as a nib!

Instagram @inkysloth

FYI, the pen did sell for above scrap value so am pleased it may be saved!

cheers

:thumbup: I am glad to see you got a good price for it, and that someone is prepared to try to restore it. I thought of trying to bid on it just to make sure that at least the nib got saved. I was thinking that if nothing else it would go in a Frankenpen. But I am in the wrong country. Who knows we may be seeing it displayed in this forum one day all dressed up and made working again.