Show Us Your Oblique Penholders!

caliken

So I made another "Sheer Nonsense" short pen. It's another experiment in that it's the first time I've used actual stone in an inlay. This one is:

http://i1349.photobucket.com/albums/p743/hzsimms/42462103-f232-4d88-84c5-ee3461d2ea7e_zpshynbgpu2.jpg

Yeah, I know, "bling" is a really campy word but it's a whole lot of fun to write! Besides, what better to describe glitter.

http://i1349.photobucket.com/albums/p743/hzsimms/9f232d1c-8877-40f9-8774-6de8e3ff3364_zpsuhph81gi.jpg

I have learned one, indisputable fact from this pen. Grinding stone is exceedingly time consuming and tedious!

Thanks for looking,

Howard

Hi Howard

I would love to see them, but your pictures don't seem to be showing up.

I have been thinking of trying inlace. Do you leave the main body large, then turn down to finished size after you have put in the inlay?

Darrin McArthur

Timber Elegance ~ Handcrafted Writing Instruments

My Etsy Store

• Replies 857
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MusinkMan

• hzsimms

• smk

• Mickey

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well now that's just bizarre. They were there last night and now they're gone. Anyway, I edited the post and put them back. Hopefully they'll stay this time! I hate it when that happens.

I've never tried the Inlace product but have used crushed turquoise and shell and other stuff. This is the first time I've tried the larger pieces of stone though (large being relative in this context I suppose). It's a lot different than using the crushed/powderized inlay material. I turn them down to just slightly larger than I want the finished piece to be then put in the inlay. There's going to be sanding and grinding going on anyway to finish the inlay so it generally works out to about the size I want the finished pen to be. A note of caution: solid chunks of stone DO NOT get along with a chisel! Yes, I know, any moron would have known that going in. However, THIS moron can sometimes only learn a thing in the most difficult way possible. Finely crushed turquoise and malachite (anything more or less powdered, I suppose) are fine with a chisel. If there is rock protruding from the inlay channel, however, the Dremel and a grinding stone are a far better solution. The stone then sands down nicely.

By the way, what was showing where my photos were supposed to be? When I pulled it up to look, there was a photo of a cat and a message from Photobucket. It wasn't even my cat! Or, more accurately, my daughters cat. It was an anonymous cat with whom I have no affiliation whatsoever. Strange days, indeed.

Howard

Edited by hzsimms

Yeah it was the little anonymous kitty.

That is a nice little oblique pen. I haven't done any oblique thst I'm happy with yet. I just got my flange pliers from yoke pen, they are nice and work great. I'm still struggling with cutting the slot and fitting the flange. I haven't tried gluing the flange in yet.

Darrin McArthur

Timber Elegance ~ Handcrafted Writing Instruments

My Etsy Store

Hello

I have been experimenting with making my own oblique holders as these are hard to come by in Singapore, and only available from overseas, making the cost prohibitive for a beginning calligrapher like me.

So far, they have been working fine, except that I keep wondering if there is a better way to do it ;) … please do comment.

Thanks in advance.

Dorothy

post-119982-0-17706000-1439266705_thumb.jpg

It always amazes and pleases me to see so many people with these skills. Nice work Dorothy. Holders with some personality and character! :)

Dorothy - they look pretty cool to me. The flange angle seems really good and your nibs are well aligned with the holder. The fact that they look good is a bonus :-)

Thank you for sharing the picture. I really like No.s 5 & 6.

Salman

Very nice, Dorothy! Good work. I'm especially fond of the one on the far left and the one on the far right. Thanks for sharing.

Howard

• 4 weeks later...

I had a lovely surprise in my postbox yesterday. The following two holders were gifts from the talented hands of Howard (hzsimms). Apologies for the bad photo, I'm about to head-off out for a couple of days, will try to do better on return. In the meantime, the Zanerian style holder has a Koa grip and a finial, and a Paduak tail. The grip sports to inlaid brass rings and an inlaid ring of garnet. Can't quite get the light to show this yet. The other holder is in the Excelsior style - although slightly oversize - and is made of Bocote. It also sports an inlay of paua shell, which again resists my attempts to get a clear shot!

Beautiful pens, lovely turning and finishing. Howard has a real skill in this art, and I consider myself very fortunate indeed to have been the recipient of both of these.

fpn_1441499536__new_holders.jpg

Thank you for the interest Empty_of_Clouds.

I have had the idea for a floating design for some time. The floating Spanish Cedar part in this holder is designed after a butterfly wing which has a special significance for the person who ordered it. The base of the holder is made in American Holly which in this case represents hope and strength from divine source - once again since the person who asked for it is quite religious.

You can see it better in this IG post: https://instagram.com/p/7dpXxZl8sK/

Does that answer your question?

- Salman

It does, thank you. I understand the significance of the holly.

Your work is very beautiful. Beyond my budget, alas, but maybe in the future my fortunes will be more favourable. Also, I am new to using these holders. I would not even now how to begin assessing the best shape and dimensions for my hand. Again, in time I may have a better understanding of this.

In the meantime I will watch and admire. You are very skilled!

Thank you for the very kind comments.

The only reason to get a fancy holder is for the aesthetics. The run of the mill holders, when properly adjusted, work just as well as any Magnusson ever did. I really don't think people need that many different options either . A medium sized grip in a shape that does not hamper movement should work for most people. Over time some people develop a preference for thicker or thinner grip sections but that is just a preference.

Monks used to write perfectly well with quills, there are only very rare examples of cloth being wrapped around them to make the grip area thicker presumably to make them easier to use for arthritic users. the same goes for Arabic Calligraphers using reed pens. I don't recall ever reading anything about adjusting the grip section.

Salman

Nice holders - and good to see that they are being put to good use. Here is one I completed a couple of days ago:

fpn_1442035483__connie-hollycedar-1.jpg

Salman

Salman,

That is a wonderful pen, I love it! Did you do all of that by hand?

Howard

Hi Howard - nice to see you online again.

I did use a drill to make a guide hole for the depression the wing sits in. It did not go far enough so I ended up removing most of the material with a knife and files :-)

Salman

Hi Howard - nice to see you online again.

I did use a drill to make a guide hole for the depression the wing sits in. It did not go far enough so I ended up removing most of the material with a knife and files :-)

Salman

It is truly a stunning design! I tried to do a "feather" once that was mounted in a sort of "v" groove but the feather part turned out too big and bulky and the thing was horribly imbalanced. It was not a true "floating" design like this. This pen has inspired me to actually try some of the "outside the box" stuff I've had rattling around in my walnut sized brain for a while. Thank you for the inspiration!

Howard