Show Us Your Oblique Penholders!

caliken

Oh my... That looks amazing! I'll definitely have to grab myself some of those ASAP. Thank you, Mickey! Now I only have the ink to worry about

• Replies 857
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MusinkMan

• hzsimms

• smk

• Mickey

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

One more photo contribution to this thread:

fpn_1370462766__img_2068.jpg

Here are the products of some experiments Musinkman and I have been doing. The goal was to produce a holder with the center of gravity between the first and second knuckle of my index finger, just slightly forward of where a Nakaya Long Writer balances in my hand. In the end, he produced 3 holders.

It should be noted that I am not easy to fit. I wear size 15 shoes and my hands are similarly up-sized. Unfortunately, few ergonomic feature scale up linearly, so we had to play with the spec. more than a little to get that perfect fit. There's the expression "walk a mile in my shoes." In this case, it should probably be "write a short story with my pen."

Thanks for posting these, Mickey. Yep, we did our share of head scratching and collaborating for this set. And I struggled with Murphy's Law Deluxe throughout this escapade. But as they say, it's not how it flies, it how it lies; and all's well that ends well. I had everything from unfortunate wood anomalies to severe brain flatulence (big time)...but perseverence pays off in the end.

Meantime, Mickey was kind enough to give me the exact specs and measurements of his authentic antique Magnusson holder. I used those specs to make the below holder. Man, is it ever sweet. The thing is a whopping 11.75 inches long, and so cool to write with it. It's very very light, and "seems" even lighter due to it's extreme length. I used Jatoba wood for the long rat-tail handle, Australian Brown Mallee for the grip, and Gabon Ebony for the black "foot" of the black accent rings. The white accents are simulated ivory. Schawweeeet. Took some doings to make this one though...lots of caliper checkin' and extreme caution in turning such a long whippy staff...I felt like I had a jumprope between my spindles for a little while! But I finally got it. See what you think!

fpn_1370493908__img_2902_2.jpg

Maker of Custom Oblique Pen Holders

Visit me at http://uniqueobliques.etsy.com

Then I have these 3 amigos...the one on the left is sold (I have to ship it off tomorrow). The one in the middle is on ebay, and the one on the right is fixing to be on ebay...gotta complete a couple things on it first. That one in the middle...I love that pen. Broke my heart to list it for sale, but blonde wifey said I had to. *sniff*

Just thought you guys might enjoy seeing them. I have more in the works that are already sold, but will post up some pics just to show them.

fpn_1370494165__img_2907_2.jpg

Edited by MusinkMan

Is it just me or is there only 1 Amigo to see in that picture????

Thang, try a bit more diluting of your sumi ink, it should give you nice hairlines then.

Those are some great holders Musinkman - I am still enjoying mine! I have not tried anything with the flanges yet as I am about to go on leave, but when I return the fun shall start again!!!

Is it just me or is there only 1 Amigo to see in that picture????

Thang, try a bit more diluting of your sumi ink, it should give you nice hairlines then.

Those are some great holders Musinkman - I am still enjoying mine! I have not tried anything with the flanges yet as I am about to go on leave, but when I return the fun shall start again!!!

Heh...yes, you are right...look again, I edited. *blush* That's what I get for not taking time to proof my posts!

Glad you are enjoying the holders, Stompie! Let me know how it goes with the flange experimentation. If you mess those up and need a couple more, let me know!

Mmmm rat tails! Those look really good Musicinkman, very classic designs and great color combos! Btw your package arrived today, I will talk more in the email.. hehehe :D

Anyway I was wondering if anyone can give me more info about a holder I recently acquired. Not much is known about it but it does look pretty old and was found in an estate sale along with fountain pens and things.. was fitted with a pretty rusty old Spencerian #25. And no.. no seal or stamp mark on the end LOL! I wish! ;)

fpn_1370500421__img_3893.jpg

fpn_1370500471__img_3894.jpg

fpn_1370500431__img_3898.jpg

fpn_1370500443__img_3897.jpg

fpn_1370500456__img_3896.jpg

That little bit of gold on the end is my fault.. not too careful in dipping yikes!

Edited by schin

Here are a few holders that I've made - the top two from Australian burls, the bottom from polyresin.

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l279/T-Caster/DSC_0817_2.jpg

Dan

Wow. They sure are beautiful.

Where do you get the inserts to hold the nib? I'd love to have a go at making some of these.

Tenet insanabile multos scribendi cacoethes.

Many are possessed by the incurable urge to write.

Juvenal

Mmmm rat tails! Those look really good Musicinkman, very classic designs and great color combos! Btw your package arrived today, I will talk more in the email.. hehehe :D

Anyway I was wondering if anyone can give me more info about a holder I recently acquired. Not much is known about it but it does look pretty old and was found in an estate sale along with fountain pens and things.. was fitted with a pretty rusty old Spencerian #25. And no.. no seal or stamp mark on the end LOL! I wish! ;)

That little bit of gold on the end is my fault.. not too careful in dipping yikes!

schin, I got a letter for you and that piece of brass - but it is all packed away until I get back from leave ok. :)

fpn_1370500421__img_3893.jpg

Check out the holder on the far right.

http://www.zanerian.com/DonTate_files/don_tate_page26.html

The contour, glue up, and quality of turning are very similar. The white metal flange (possibly nickel silver) is something it has in common with my two oldest holders, a Magnusson and an early Bill Lilly. Just a guess, but I'd say your holder is no younger than 60 years old. It's a beauty.

The liberty of the press is indeed essential to the nature of a free state; but this consists in laying no previous restraints upon publications, and not in freedom from censure for criminal matter when published. Every freeman has an undoubted right to lay what sentiments he pleases before the public; to forbid this, is to destroy the freedom of the press; but if he publishes what is improper, mischievous or illegal, he must take the consequence of his own temerity. (4 Bl. Com. 151, 152.) Blackstone's Commentaries

fpn_1370494165__img_2907_2.jpg

Beautiful holders, MusinkMan - a joy to behold!

Ken

Edited by caliken

Check out the holder on the far right.

http://www.zanerian.com/DonTate_files/don_tate_page26.html

The contour, glue up, and quality of turning are very similar. The white metal flange (possibly nickel silver) is something it has in common with my two oldest holders, a Magnusson and an early Bill Lilly. Just a guess, but I'd say your holder is no younger than 60 years old. It's a beauty.

Yes, the flange is quite unlike my modern holders.. it is very hard and does not give whatsoever.

Thank you, it's fun to guess at its ancestry :) Maybe I will write a letter to Bill Lilly or M.Sull and see if they can tell me more about it.

Beautiful holders, MusinkMan - a joy to behold!

Ken

Thank you, Mr. Ken. Yours should be arriving any day now. I'm a bit disappointed that it has not arrived by now, but should be soon. I hope that you will like it.

Yes, the flange is quite unlike my modern holders.. it is very hard and does not give whatsoever.

Thank you, it's fun to guess at its ancestry :) Maybe I will write a letter to Bill Lilly or M.Sull and see if they can tell me more about it.

Hi Schin! Is the flange on that vintage holder made of brass? It looks to be a white metal to me. That is one sweet holder. Don't see those come around too often!

Hi Schin! Is the flange on that vintage holder made of brass? It looks to be a white metal to me. That is one sweet holder. Don't see those come around too often!

Oh man I have no clue.. I can't even tell tin or brass or soup cans apart! After I get my affairs all settled and when I can procure a longer pipe cleaner tube (great idea!) I will send it to you for inspection and you can try it out yourself :)

Oh man I have no clue.. I can't even tell tin or brass or soup cans apart! After I get my affairs all settled and when I can procure a longer pipe cleaner tube (great idea!) I will send it to you for inspection and you can try it out yourself :)

My best guess is that they're nickel silver, also known as German silver, an alloy of copper, nickel, and zinc. It is considerably stiffer than brass, especially the half-hard temper brass sold in most hobby and hardware stores.

The liberty of the press is indeed essential to the nature of a free state; but this consists in laying no previous restraints upon publications, and not in freedom from censure for criminal matter when published. Every freeman has an undoubted right to lay what sentiments he pleases before the public; to forbid this, is to destroy the freedom of the press; but if he publishes what is improper, mischievous or illegal, he must take the consequence of his own temerity. (4 Bl. Com. 151, 152.) Blackstone's Commentaries

Here is another longtail that I completed yesterday. These are certainly challenging. They are cool though...they look cool, and it's a neat little feeling to write with something that is so long, yet so light. I like a little backweight to be sure, but I have to admit that it's quite an exhillerating experience when the back end sort of "disappears". Mickey taught me that. I had never paid any mind to the pen weight and balance before he pointed out the effects of those. A nice bit of education for free...thanks MickeyRick! Here is the new pen staff:

fpn_1370628919__redmag2.jpg

fpn_1370628994__redmag3.jpg

fpn_1370629041__redmag1.jpg

These are the same photos I used on ebay, so that's why there is so much descriptive text in the photos.

fpn_1370628994__redmag3.jpg

I see you moved the back three rings forward a bit on this holder. It really does make the profile read right. Well done: beautiful holder.

Today, I received this magnificent penholder from MusinkMan; truly a work of art.

Not only does it look great, it feels perfectly balanced and right for my hand. I fitted a Brause Rose nib and penned these few lines in appreciation of his craftsmanship.

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd289/caliken_2007/Ornatelettering600.jpg