Looking For Some History

PensMakeMemories

This is a first post, story, and request for assistance all in one.

To begin I would like to say hi to all in this wonderful community. I have followed for a while and just made an account to share this story and ask for help. I have used nothing but fountain pens for writing for almost three years now (ever since I started college), and can't imagine going back to anything else. Though up to this point I have owned only modern pens, including a Waterman's Harmonie, a TWSBI 540, and, my favorite, a full sized Sailor 1911.

This is where the story begins. My grandfather has recently passed away, and in the process of cleaning his hoarder like house a multitude of fountain pens were discovered. Most of my family members disregarded them, thinking they were junk and a product of the past, but my dad, knowing that I used fountain pens asked if I would want them. I said absolutely, even if they are broken and junk I am sure I can piece parts together to make a functioning pen I can remember my grandfather by. To my surprise, many of them are in great shape, minus the fact that almost all of them were left with ink in them (I will have a lot of pens to go through and clean in the next couple of weeks, as I only took on one project set for this week as I have finals to be studying for).

The functioning lot included a couple Esterbrook J's, two Esterbrook dollar pens, numerous Wearever pens (many of which I passed around to my cousins to have as a keepsake), although one I made sure to hold on to as it has a 14k gold nib, which struck me as odd as I believed most Wearever's were pretty inexpensive, one pen/mechanical pencil set that I believed was labeled Parkette (although I can't quite remember), one Conkiln, which had a filling system I have never seen before and also had a 14K mark on the nib, and a handful of others that I don't even remember. Many of these I will have to do research on and will ask questions about in the future, but there was one set that I immediately fell in love with and brought back with me to campus (the rest I sent home with my dad).

It is a Sheaffer Sentinel Deluxe-TM Ensemble. I know so because I was lucky enough to find the pen and mechanical pencil set in the case with the cardboard box on it. I knew that this must have been a set he received as a gift, but I wanted to know why he received such a nice pen set; so I started doing research. After doing some internet searching, I believe it is a Touchdown thin-model (TM is on the box) and think it must be from 1950, as that would have been when he graduated high-school, and the information I have found says they were in production from 1950-52, but I noticed one thing that didn't seem to match. The nib does not have the 14K gold plate on the top half.

This is when I ask for help. Can someone tell me when this pen was produced so I can figure out why my grandfather was gifted such a nice pen set? The only other details about the pen that I can think of is the the nib says SHEAFFER'S, and then something so tiny I can't read it, and then, MADE IN U.S.A, and the barrel of the pen says W.A. SHEAFFER PEN CO., FORT MADISON, IOWA, U.S.A., MADE IN U.S.A.

Thank you for your time and help,

PensMakeMemories

post-104034-0-74620200-1368392681_thumb.jpg

post-104034-0-39581100-1368392688_thumb.jpg

Edited by PensMakeMemories

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PensMakeMemories

• jar

• karenjn

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You have a nice pen there but it doesn't really go with the box.

I'd love to see a picture of the feed side because it's possible that the pen is a Snorkel Statesman.

My Website

Really?! It would be quite odd for this set to not match as I did not find any other Sheaffer pen's or paraphernalia when looking through the house, but that is why I asked for help!

Here is an image of the feed side:

post-104034-0-34702600-1368397649_thumb.jpg

Yup, as I expected. Looks like you have a Snorkel Statesman. Good pen but definitely doesn't go with the box.

My Website

How fun! The box must have been mislabeled or there is another pen set lost in that house. If the website I looked at isn't lying, this set was produced from 1952-59 then, so it must have been a college graduation gift (1954). Thank you very much for your help!

Ear

How fun! The box must have been mislabeled or there is another pen set lost in that house. Do you know what years these were produced?

Early to mid fifties. Probably the most complex filling system ever but also the neatest. Since it has been sitting for about a half a century I'd strongly suggest getting it resacced and teh seals changed before you try to fill it.

My Website

I have actually fully cleaned it and everything is functioning perfectly! I have already written multiple pages and can't believe how nicely it writes.

How did you fill it?

Unscrewed the back, pulled the piston like thing back, dipped the snorkel in the ink, pushed it down and held it for 10 seconds, and then screwed the back down again. I found a picture of an old advertisement online and followed those instructions. Does that sounds correct?

"PensMakeMemories", I love your username! How wonderful that you have your grandfather's pens and that you treasure them. That Snorkel Statesman looks like it's in excellent condition and IMHO, there is no finer writing nib than Sheaffer's Triumph nib. Enjoy!!

"PensMakeMemories", I love your username! How wonderful that you have your grandfather's pens and that you treasure them. That Snorkel Statesman looks like it's in excellent condition and IMHO, there is no finer writing nib than Sheaffer's Triumph nib. Enjoy!!

Thank you very much! And I would have to agree with your opinion of the nib, though my experience is limited, this is the smoothest writing pen I have ever used.

That's the right steps. The one thing you never want to do is pull the tube out with the nib or snorkel in ink.

BUT, I still strongly suggest that you rebuild the pen. Even if it filled this time the sac and seals are over a half century old.

My Website

That's the right steps. The one thing you never want to do is pull the tube out with the nib or snorkel in ink.

BUT, I still strongly suggest that you rebuild the pen. Even if it filled this time the sac and seals are over a half century old

When I get back home and go through the remainder of the old pens I will order all the pieces I need and replace it then. Do you think it would be simple enough for me to do this on my own?

Absolutely, particularly since it looks like it has never been used. Read the directions and follow them carefully and you should do fine.

My Website

Absolutely, particularly since it looks like it has never been used. Read the directions and follow them carefully and you should do fine.

Well thank you very much for your help. If you know anything about vintage Conklins I made be in need of you help again in the near future. Pretty sure what I found was a Conklin Nozac, but without the pen in hand I don't know any of the details. Only that it is an old Conklin and that it isn't a lever filler or a crescent filler.