Oberon Design Journal Covers

xHaishou

I decided to buy an Oberon Design Journal cover, and I have to say that it looks awesome! much better than in the pictures. It looks a lot more sturdy than I was expecting too.

Just wanted to put this out there.

Music is the harmonization of opposites, the unification of disparate things, and the conciliation of warring elements.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HildyZ

• WayTooManyHobbies

• bbodson

• BuggyQ

I have many Oberon products and can confirm they are high quality and look better in person (at least to me!) than on the web.

This post contains 100% recycled electrons

http://i952.photobucket.com/albums/ae8/Catriker/Pen%20Pics/SmallCzarNikolai.jpg

I have purchased 3 Oberon Kindle covers. Each one is a pretty spectacular work of art. My present cover for my Paperwhite is the Roof of Heaven in saddle, which is gorgeous. Their journal covers must be equally well made. When folks ask me how much they cost and I tell them, they seem surprised and think them expensive. As a tradesman myself, I find them to be a great value for what you get. Could I make something like it for less $? I don't think so. And I love to support small US businesses as well!

Not affliliated, just a happy fan of their products.

Rick

I've been using them for years and even the ones I bought 10+ years ago look great, after considerable field wear. I've also found that the standard large journal works great with Rhodia web notebooks.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"He who hears the rippling of rivers in these degenerate days will not utterly despair." H.D. Thoreau

I have a question for the people who have purchased Oberon covers for electronic devices.

I have an Oberon cover for my Nook. I have no doubt that the cover will outlast the device inside. I'm also sure that whatever device replaces my Nook will be a completely different size, because that's just how life works. How do you repurpose the cover when the device is defunct? I'm already having thoughts about how mine might be redesigned into a journal cover someday.

"Malt does more than Milton can to justify God's ways to man." - A. E. Housman

I have an Oberon cover for my Nook Color, and it's the only reason I didn't purchase a Nexus 7 when they were released - the gosh-darned thing wouldn't fit the cover!

The recent sale on Nook HD/HD+ was too tempting, though, and I have now upgraded. The Nook HD sort of fits the Nook Color cover, although it's not ideal. The cover will still probably outlast this second device as well. No idea what I'll do then.

I have a question for the people who have purchased Oberon covers for electronic devices.

I have an Oberon cover for my Nook. I have no doubt that the cover will outlast the device inside. I'm also sure that whatever device replaces my Nook will be a completely different size, because that's just how life works. How do you repurpose the cover when the device is defunct? I'm already having thoughts about how mine might be redesigned into a journal cover someday.

I initially got my Oberon Moleskine cover before I discovered the joy of fountain pens. The Moleskine size is, unfortunately, not standard, so I could either use Moleskine and hate writing in it with my FP, or I could make my own journals to fit.

I now really enjoy making journals (I've even made some as gifts for friends with specially designed debossed covers). I'm sure you could do the same to repurpose your device cover. It was surprisingly easy to do--there are several guides to how to make journals here, and I found them useful. All of the equipment I use is stuff I repurposed from other applications--needlepoint needles initially, though I do have bookbinding needles now; needlepoint floss for stitching, though I did graduate to the cheaper bookbinding thread; and a sewing frame I made from a needlepoint stand (really simple--carriage bolts, six wingnuts and two pieces of wood with holes drilled in them), though you could really do a basic journal without a frame.

I started last fall, and I've done five journals for myself, four for others (with three more in the works), and best of all, I did a personal leatherbound edition of Shakespeare's sonnets for my father with a picture of my wedding (he read #116 for us) on the facing page of that sonnet. He actually cried when I gave it to him. Now I'm screwed, because nothing I ever get him will measure up to that one. ;-)

Disinterested intellectual curiosity is the life blood of real civilisation.

G.M. Trevelyan

• 9 months later...

I share the same concerns as you, and recently confronted it when I acquired a hand-me-down Kindle Fire. A few years ago, I purchased what is now known as the Kindle Keyboard. I have enjoyed that device, almost as much as the Oberon Design DaVinci kindle cover that I purchased to protect it. A few months ago, a relative gave me their Kindle Fire that they weren't using, and I was toting that around bare naked for weeks until I got the idea to try fitting it into the Oberon cover that I purchased for the Kindle Keyboard. To my surprise, it was a fit. The Kindle Fire actually fits inside the Oberon cover. So, I got lucky. But, until then, I was trying the same avenues as you; trying to determine how to repurpose it as a journal cover. I came up zero. I think for the most part, once these devices go obsolete, the covers go with them, but not always. Never hurts to try and make it fit. You never know. i was pleasantly surprised.

If you upgrade your device in the future, there is always the possibility of selling the cover on eBay. There really is a secondary market for these Oberon Covers. Just a thought.

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain