Help Me Pick My First Nakaya!

schin

I do have a preppy, and like the feel of it. I am quite relieved now to hear that the nakaya is about the same size. It looks bigger in the pictures!

The celluloid platinums are gorgeous too.

I just stumbled across this page and AM SO STOKED!

http://www.nakaya.org/en/gallery.aspx?body=Art_model

Does anyone have these?? They're gorgeous! I know they're not the same as the decapods but just wow!!! I beg anyone with pics or info to please tell me more about these flowery beauties.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• schin

• RLD

• mongrelnomad

• Earthdawn

As others have mentioned, Nakaya are not thin pens. Here is a link to the measurement and comparison page at Nibs.com . Fountain Pen Measurement & Comparison - Nibs.com

You will note that most of the Nakayas measure between 0.40 and 0.42" a the section. If you have any of the other pens in the database, you can look them up and see how they compare the Nakaya measurements.

If in doubt, you can buy a Platinum Preppy for a few dollars, it has a section that measures .40 near the nib to .42 where it joins the body. If that is too big for comfort, you probably won't be happy with a Nakaya.

On the other hand, you may get used to it and find it more comfortable than expected. The Preppy will let you find out without gambling a small fortune. I have small hands, but .41 is about perfect for me. Much smaller, and I get cramps.

Dan

I'm somewhat confused about this. Jetpens has the diameter of the grip at 10mm, where the nakaya is 14. I just don't want you to be disappointed in a purchase that large. They aren't thin pens, it's closer to using my VP or my M1000 than a preppy.

EDIT

I found the confusion. Nibs.com lists the nakaya as .41 inches which is 10.something mm. Nakaya's website lists diameter at 14mm which is .55inches.

Grabbing a ruler, the piccolo measures the .41 at the point of the grip (which tapers up) to the body which measures the .55 (possibly a bit more at the widest point)

Seems like nibs is only measuring the grip not the body, which are the widest points on the pens.

Edited by Flake

Thank you, I am only concerned about the size of the grip, not the barrel. If the grip is about the same as a Preppy, then it should be no problem. Anyway I am quite flexible in my writing and can always adjust.

I am finding this a very very difficult decision as they are all equally beautiful :) But I am determined to not fall into the 'nakayas are potato chips' trend!

I am finding this a very very difficult decision as they are all equally beautiful :) But I am determined to not fall into the 'nakayas are potato chips' trend!

HEHE ... well I assure you once you get one you will get another...

I had none... then 1, then 2, then 3 .... then another month started lol.

You will soon see how wonderful they are.

Thank you, I am only concerned about the size of the grip, not the barrel. If the grip is about the same as a Preppy, then it should be no problem. Anyway I am quite flexible in my writing and can always adjust.

Too late...

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

-Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Hi Schin,

To answer some of your questions,

I would not recommend posting an urushi lacquer pen.

Nakayas are relatively light in weight, but I think they feel 'substantial' enough and they are a pleasure to write with.

With regard to size and girth, here are some photos I posted in the "Nakaya Pen Size Comparison" thread several days ago (you may want to check out that thread again). The pens are from left to right, a Nakaya Long, Neo Standard, Portable, Decapod, and Piccolo. This will give you a sense of how the Twist Decapod and Portable that you are considering compare with each other and to a Piccolo. I'm sorry I don't have a Nakai-ai but they are close in length to the Neo Standard and Portable.

From what you say in your post, I suspect you might be happiest with a Decapod or Twist Decapod. Gorgeous pens, and they have a slimmer look compared to the Portable.

http://rld12.smugmug.com/photos/i-D7ptgBQ/0/L/i-D7ptgBQ-L.jpg

http://rld12.smugmug.com/photos/i-PktxSLs/0/L/i-PktxSLs-L.jpg

http://rld12.smugmug.com/photos/i-mk9z59w/0/L/i-mk9z59w-L.jpg

RLD - amazing pens. Which is your favourite? (I love the cat paradise and the ascending dragon.)

Too many pens; too little writing.

The celluloid platinums are gorgeous too.

They're much more vibrant in the flesh...

Here's a photo of my wife's "Sakura" celluloid - similar to vintage lizard-patterned celluloid, with an incredible sparkly sheen, along with a comparison together with some of my pens. (L-R: Sailor 1911 Realo, Platinum Izumo, Pelikan M101N, Platinum celluloid and Conway Stewart Wellington)...

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7289/8740256137_21f10f53ec_c.jpg
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7288/8741381946_826197c7ce_c.jpg
Edited by mongrelnomad

Thank you enablers my dear friends,

I have made my decision! My first nakaya will be a decapod. I don't know which one, I will have to consider either the mini or the twist, and in which color (red or black over red). I love the classic, elegant design and it will be my main pen. The design really grew on me!!

I love the fancy flower pens but I will probably order something really customized and fancy like that in the future.

For those who have a decapod, how do you like it? Which color, size, nib color do you have?

I have made my decision! My first nakaya will be a decapod. I don't know which one, I will have to consider either the mini or the twist, and in which color (red or black over red). I love the classic, elegant design and it will be my main pen. The design really grew on me!!

I love the fancy flower pens but I will probably order something really customized and fancy like that in the future.

For those who have a decapod, how do you like it? Which color, size, nib color do you have?

:thumbup:

Well done on your choice!

I too have a Decapod - a heki with clip. Mine has a dual-tone (gold) Soft-F, ground to a cursive italic by John Mottishaw. It is a great pen, and a great gateway to plenty more Nakayas :P

Pray you never see a more elaborate one in the flesh... that's when it all gets a bit dangerous! :lticaptd:

Photos from my Battle of the Full-Sizers

http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/w432/penlovermn/R0010636.jpg

http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/w432/penlovermn/R0010629.jpg

http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/w432/penlovermn/R0010646.jpg

http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/w432/penlovermn/R0010643.jpg

Note that the facets don't line up in some of the photos as I was making a point about the four threads...

Edited by mongrelnomad

Wonderful choice! The black on red looks even better in person.

Wonderful choice! The black on red looks even better in person.

The problem with Nakayas is that they ALL look better in person! :D

The decapod is a great choice. I have an ao-tamenuri decapod, it's the second pen from the right in my earlier post (#3) in this thread. Medium ruthenium-plated nib. Great pen. I have only used it with iroshizuku kon-peki so far and it writes like a dream.

Nihon no urushi ga hitsuyo de!

RLD - amazing pens. Which is your favourite? (I love the cat paradise and the ascending dragon.)

Hi Mongrelnomad,

Love them all! They are all so different. The ao-tamenuri decapod is the newest and I really love the color. I am glad Nakaya added this new tamenuri shade and hope to see more pens with this color. On the other hand, the green color of the Cat Paradise is quite unusual and is really eye-catching. I have that pen inked with syo-ro, a good match. On the other hand, the piccolos are cute little pens and the moon cat is a really cool design. The one is inked with momiji. I also have a heki-tamenuri piccolo (inked with chiku-rin) and that is a very nice pen too though it isn't as unusual with regard to design.

Nihon no urushi ga hitsuyo de!

I love Kuro tamenuri and Ao, they are subtle yet gorgeous, Aka is beautiful and bold.

The Decapods bring a touch of classic elegance. And the nibs are spectacular before and especially

after John is through with them. If iweren't so lazy I would post pics.

So I was told that the only difference between the mini decapod and the regular decapod is the length of the cap? Is this true? Does anyone have one of each or have a picture of them both together? Are the thickness the same?

Also.. maybe a silly question.. is the decapod twist more susceptible to rolling off a table than a regular decapod?

I really do want to close the deal here (I even have my handwriting sample ready!) but really can't decide between a regular (mini) or a twist (regular size) :) What a problem!

So I was told that the only difference between the mini decapod and the regular decapod is the length of the cap? Is this true? Does anyone have one of each or have a picture of them both together? Are the thickness the same?

Also.. maybe a silly question.. is the decapod twist more susceptible to rolling off a table than a regular decapod?

I really do want to close the deal here (I even have my handwriting sample ready!) but really can't decide between a regular (mini) or a twist (regular size) :) What a problem!

According to the data on nibs.com, the barrel of the mini is more than 1/2" shorter. I would guess the cap is shorter as well, as the mini is .82 inches shorter over all than the standard decapod. Both pens are about the same diameter.

The liberty of the press is indeed essential to the nature of a free state; but this consists in laying no previous restraints upon publications, and not in freedom from censure for criminal matter when published. Every freeman has an undoubted right to lay what sentiments he pleases before the public; to forbid this, is to destroy the freedom of the press; but if he publishes what is improper, mischievous or illegal, he must take the consequence of his own temerity. (4 Bl. Com. 151, 152.) Blackstone's Commentaries

Quick question concerning Nakaya: Is there a retail outlet where an interested person can view Nakaya pens??

San Francisco pen show? Los Angeles pen show?

A Pen Posse gathering would be extremely informative,..........not to mention entertaining.

I wish that Nakaya would have kept the proportional dimensions of the Piccolo, the very best looking Nakaya,

when they designed the Long Piccolo.

Edit to say: Sorry Flake, I don't have a Decapod, but that is an excellent choice, a beautiful design.

Edited by karmakoda

Quick question concerning Nakaya: Is there a retail outlet where an interested person can view Nakaya pens??

San Francisco pen show? Los Angeles pen show?

A Pen Posse gathering would be extremely informative,..........not to mention entertaining.

I wish that Nakaya would have kept the proportional dimensions of the Piccolo, the very best looking Nakaya,

when they designed the Long Piccolo.

Edit to say: Sorry Flake, I don't have a Decapod, but that is an excellent choice, a beautiful design.

There is one tomorrow.... lol

Sunday May 19th

1:00 pm

10 El Camino Real

Millbrae, CA 94030

For more info you can contact AltecGreen

There is one tomorrow.... lol

Sunday May 19th

1:00 pm

10 El Camino Real

Millbrae, CA 94030

For more info you can contact AltecGreen

Thank You, EarthDawn, for the heads up. With regret, I will be unable to attend this meeting of the Posse, you will have to carry on, somehow, without me. See you in August?

And Thank You Flake, to my eyes,the Decapod with the kuro-tamenuri, or black/red finish is striking, although it is an elegant pen, beautiful in any finish.