Help Me Pick My First Nakaya!

schin

So I have decided to thin down the pen herd and invest in one good pen to rule them all. I have a Mottishaw falcon, have tried other Mottishaw tuned pens (including Nakaya and platinum), absolutely love his work and would like to start thinking about getting one for some important papers to sign later this year, and subsequently to use as my workhorse pen. Unfortunately I do not live near his shop nor do I plan to go to anymore pen conventions this year so I am ordering online.

I already know what kind of nib customization I want on them, but I am just not sure which model to get. They all look different with different widths and finishes, so I hope those of you who own one can give me some opinions.

Some background:

I have smallish ladies hands and prefer a 'thinner' pen.

I always write unposted! Are Nakayas meant to be posted?

I have tried a Piccolo and like its length, but not its girth.

I have a budget of under $750.

I prefer a pen that feels 'substantial' and 'weighty' in hand (like a metal or resin pen), rather than a 'light' pen such as a Lamy safari.

So far I have my eye on these beauties:

http://nibs.com/NakayaDecapodTwist.html - But without the clip. It just looks cooler than the normal decapod pen!

http://nibs.com/NakayaPortableCherryBlossoms.html - ...I love this one, but am not sure if it is a wise choice? It is rather long. Preferably with no clip.

http://nibs.com/Nakaya-Naka-ai-Cigar-Aka-tamenuri.htm - I'd love to get this one but with a rolling clip.. I won't mind the 5 month wait! However, I feel the shape is not as attractive as the others.

Any ideas? Suggestions? Thank you!!

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• schin

• RLD

• mongrelnomad

• Earthdawn

My first thought here is that I think nearly all the models have similar girth. http://www.nakaya.org/en/manual/default.aspx?item=size_weight - they list the dimensions here. If you're about weight and thickness of the pen you might want to dig through the dimensions to help you decide - keep in mind a lamy safari is about 17g.

Edited by Flake

Hi Schin,

To answer some of your questions,

I would not recommend posting an urushi lacquer pen.

Nakayas are relatively light in weight, but I think they feel 'substantial' enough and they are a pleasure to write with.

With regard to size and girth, here are some photos I posted in the "Nakaya Pen Size Comparison" thread several days ago (you may want to check out that thread again). The pens are from left to right, a Nakaya Long, Neo Standard, Portable, Decapod, and Piccolo. This will give you a sense of how the Twist Decapod and Portable that you are considering compare with each other and to a Piccolo. I'm sorry I don't have a Nakai-ai but they are close in length to the Neo Standard and Portable.

From what you say in your post, I suspect you might be happiest with a Decapod or Twist Decapod. Gorgeous pens, and they have a slimmer look compared to the Portable.

http://rld12.smugmug.com/photos/i-D7ptgBQ/0/L/i-D7ptgBQ-L.jpg

http://rld12.smugmug.com/photos/i-PktxSLs/0/L/i-PktxSLs-L.jpg

http://rld12.smugmug.com/photos/i-mk9z59w/0/L/i-mk9z59w-L.jpg

Nihon no urushi ga hitsuyo de!

Of all the pens, I prefer the cherry blossom, as it represents many things Japanese. Not much good if you do not like it to write with though (i.e. the size is not right)! I am sure you wont be disappointed whatever you decide.

I have smallish ladies hands and prefer a 'thinner' pen.

I always write unposted! Are Nakayas meant to be posted?

I have tried a Piccolo and like its length, but not its girth.

I have a budget of under $750.

I prefer a pen that feels 'substantial' and 'weighty' in hand (like a metal or resin pen), rather than a 'light' pen such as a Lamy safari.

Thinner than what?

Nakaya recommends against posting.

The Decapod comes in a short "Piccolo" length.

You might want to save a bit and get what you want vs. afford. In the long run it'll be cheaper because eventually you'll end up getting the one you really want.

The equilibrium model allows for additional weight to be added in addition to varying the CG.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

-Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Hi Schin,

To answer some of your questions,

I would not recommend posting an urushi lacquer pen.

Nakayas are relatively light in weight, but I think they feel 'substantial' enough and they are a pleasure to write with.

With regard to size and girth, here are some photos I posted in the "Nakaya Pen Size Comparison" thread several days ago (you may want to check out that thread again). The pens are from left to right, a Nakaya Long, Neo Standard, Portable, Decapod, and Piccolo. This will give you a sense of how the Twist Decapod and Portable that you are considering compare with each other and to a Piccolo. I'm sorry I don't have a Nakai-ai but they are close in length to the Neo Standard and Portable.

From what you say in your post, I suspect you might be happiest with a Decapod or Twist Decapod. Gorgeous pens, and they have a slimmer look compared to the Portable.

http://rld12.smugmug.com/photos/i-D7ptgBQ/0/L/i-D7ptgBQ-L.jpg

http://rld12.smugmug.com/photos/i-PktxSLs/0/L/i-PktxSLs-L.jpg

http://rld12.smugmug.com/photos/i-mk9z59w/0/L/i-mk9z59w-L.jpg

WOW! Those are beautiful pens! :)

I actually want a Nakaya so badly :(

On posting I never do and certainly wouldnt on my Nakaya. This is a long piccolo, the size of which did surprise me, and I compare it to my other users. A heavy pen it certainly isnt but does have a nice feel to it in the girth department but that is a personal hand size thing I suppose. Writing wise i just do not know to be honest. Its had flex added to it by John Mot then stubbed by Pendleton Brown but arrgh it just lacks a certain something in my opinion. Maybe if I send it to my nib man I can finally have the grail nib in a stunning pen ?

fpn_1367875668__black_nak1_13sizecomp.jp

fpn_1367875603__black_nak1_11sizecomp.jp

Edited by Pen Nut

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

If the piccolo is too big around and too light, you may be looking at the wrong manufacturer. Nakayas are, with the exception of the titanium piccolo, pretty light, and none are all that thin. (The celluloid is the thinnest.) You could, as was suggested, load up an Equilibrium (or Equilibrium Piccolo) with extra weights, but it's still not a thin pen.

Edited by Mickey

The liberty of the press is indeed essential to the nature of a free state; but this consists in laying no previous restraints upon publications, and not in freedom from censure for criminal matter when published. Every freeman has an undoubted right to lay what sentiments he pleases before the public; to forbid this, is to destroy the freedom of the press; but if he publishes what is improper, mischievous or illegal, he must take the consequence of his own temerity. (4 Bl. Com. 151, 152.) Blackstone's Commentaries

Wow, thank you for your responses! I thought I would wake up this morning with a clearer idea of which I want, but unfortunately all three are still as desirable!

Thank you for the pictures as well, it is very helpful.

How would one add weights to the pen? While I do like 'heavier' pens, it is not exactly a deal breaker. So I am not too worried about it.

Another question.. which I hope will not cause offense.

Does the Nakaya tend to 'leak'? Is the cap secure enough that ink stays in the nib and will not get on the handle? I mention as I noticed that in some pictures (also in person) that ink gets caught on the handle, perhaps it was residue from the cap.

Does the Nakaya tend to 'leak'? Is the cap secure enough that ink stays in the nib and will not get on the handle? I mention as I noticed that in some pictures (also in person) that ink gets caught on the handle, perhaps it was residue from the cap.

Not certain what you are referring to by "handle", but I can say that I have never had a problem with a Nakaya leaking. I would, however, think you might have some ink leak out if you dropped the pen, or if it was shaken by accident.

Nihon no urushi ga hitsuyo de!

Wow, thank you for your responses! I thought I would wake up this morning with a clearer idea of which I want, but unfortunately all three are still as desirable!

How would one add weights to the pen? While I do like 'heavier' pens, it is not exactly a deal breaker. So I am not too worried about it.

The Equilibrium pens have a weighting system which allows the user to adjust the pen's balance. The inside of the barrel is threaded and the supplied weights can be threaded in where ever the user wishes. I believe the pen comes with 3 or 4 weights, but more can be purchased.

I haven't noticed that either of our Nakayas leak any more than any other pen.

The liberty of the press is indeed essential to the nature of a free state; but this consists in laying no previous restraints upon publications, and not in freedom from censure for criminal matter when published. Every freeman has an undoubted right to lay what sentiments he pleases before the public; to forbid this, is to destroy the freedom of the press; but if he publishes what is improper, mischievous or illegal, he must take the consequence of his own temerity. (4 Bl. Com. 151, 152.) Blackstone's Commentaries

The 'handle' term got me as well. I presume you mean the part of the pen your fingers touch when writing? Anyway I have not had enough use of mine to comment but when I am taking a pen out of rotation I always make a point of cleaning inside the cap regardless of make and, even without dropping, it is a surprise how much ink can end up in there.

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

Get a decapod mini. It's my favorite pen in an ishime finish that is not going to be availiable any longer.. It is light, but nice to hold.. If the nib is set right, I have never had a nakaya leak. Also never have any ink on the section and I fly with the pens.

Edited by captain1796

Get a decapod mini. It's my favorite pen in an ishime finish that is not going to be availiable any longer.. It is light, but nice to hold.. If the nib is set right, I have never had a nakaya leak. Also never have any ink on the section and I fly with the pens.

What do you mean the ishime finish won't be available any longer?

What do you mean the ishime finish won't be available any longer?

BUMP that as well .... where did you hear that?

If you want a Nakaya that's slimmer than a Piccolo, you might want to look at the Decapod or the Neo Standard. The Decapod Twist's section is about as chunky as the Piccolo, Portable and Naka-Ai.

Here's a pic of the Decapod's section next to a Naka-Ai's. (Sorry, I snapped this on the fly using my phone.)

Decapod%20Naka%20Ai.png

Here is the Neo-Standard (middle) between a Naka-Ai and a Long Piccolo

3NakayasUnposted.jpg

Between the Neo and the standard Decapod, it is the Decapod that feels slimmer in my hand.

Hope you get the pen you like! :)

Edited by KarloT

If the piccolo is too big around and too light, you may be looking at the wrong manufacturer. Nakayas are, with the exception of the titanium piccolo, pretty light, and none are all that thin. (The celluloid is the thinnest.) You could, as was suggested, load up an Equilibrium (or Equilibrium Piccolo) with extra weights, but it's still not a thin pen.

The Briarwood is another option and is pretty slender - certainly more so than the ebonite pens. The gloss version also has a an urushi coating. It's heavier than a typical resin pen of the same size would be, but not heavy in real terms.

Of the ebonite/urushi pens, as others have said, the Decapod has the thinnest section and is a really nice pen.

D A N i T R i O f e l l o w s h i p

Now I understand why Nakayas come in pairs.. it is impossible to choose!

I am very grateful for all your help. I am deciding between a decapod/twist and the portable cherry blossom. While I do like a naka-ai with rolling stopper, I think the other choices are more 'grand' for a first nakaya.

Still, I do not know whether to choose a decapod twist or normal decapod.

As others have mentioned, Nakaya are not thin pens. Here is a link to the measurement and comparison page at Nibs.com . Fountain Pen Measurement & Comparison - Nibs.com

You will note that most of the Nakayas measure between 0.40 and 0.42" a the section. If you have any of the other pens in the database, you can look them up and see how they compare the Nakaya measurements.

If in doubt, you can buy a Platinum Preppy for a few dollars, it has a section that measures .40 near the nib to .42 where it joins the body. If that is too big for comfort, you probably won't be happy with a Nakaya.

On the other hand, you may get used to it and find it more comfortable than expected. The Preppy will let you find out without gambling a small fortune. I have small hands, but .41 is about perfect for me. Much smaller, and I get cramps.

Dan

Edited by DanF

"Life is like an analogy" -Anon-

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l279/T-Caster/DSC_0334_2.jpg

If you like slim pens, you might want to try the celluloid Platinums. Same nibs as the Nakayas and they come in a selection of absolutely beautiful and unusual patterns...

http://ginkgraph.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/PTB-30000S_6.jpg

Too many pens; too little writing.