Pelikan M1005 Silver & Black (...vs Sailor Kop)

rogerico

Well, I did it. Since years ago I wanted to have a Pelikan Souveran M1000, but I do not like the golden finishings. Because of that, when I saw the new model M1005 Silver, I did not think it over at all. I tried to find it and bring it at home. By the way, to be able to buy it I had to sell my three Montblanc FP: one Classique, one 146 and one Edgar Allan Poe. I do not regret it. They've been lying in the drawer for years. I was sick of staining my hands.

FP Souveran M1005 is a big one, as I like them. It is well built, solid, perfectly polished. It's really a beauty.
The piston works softly. In principle this fountain pen has a good deposit of ink, but in practice I do not see many difference with the Sailor KOP, which is a cartrigde/converter. I mean I don’t think I can write much more pages with the amount of ink stored in the FP.
This perhaps is due to the nib, which is really wet; in fact my M1005 has a EF nib which is not much different of Sailor M nib in width, although the Pelikan one is a little flexible. It’s also a singing nib, which I do not like. For me is an unpleasant sensation to notice that the two halves of the nib rub. In any case, the comparison is difficult: Sailor nib is unbeatable.
In conclusion, this FP Souveran M1005 likes me very much, it’s well constructed, big and nice, and writes really well. It’s just that for me Sailor KOP is the top, as I said in this review.

1. Appearance & Design: 9/10
2. Construction & Quality: 9/10
3. Weight & Dimensions: 9/10
4. Nib & Performance: 7/10
5. Filling System & Maintenance: 8/10
6. Cost & Value: 9/10
7. Conclusion: Final score 8/10

post-33908-0-01259200-1368256820_thumb.jpeg

Edited by rogerico

Roger

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rogerico

• brattpitt

• meblamy

• timjthomas

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Two beautiful pens. I envy you! Understated elegance.

I don't like the gold finish either, but since I bought my Pelikan M805, I just haven't been able to put down the money for the M1005. Perhaps one day though.

My nib tastes are further up the spectrum with OM and OB sizes. They really do write nicely when you have large writing such as myself. The quality in the hand of the larger Pelikans is up there with the best of them.

Thank you for the review. It has got me thinking again!

Can I ask what inks you used in the pictures? I'm looking for blues in that shade.

Thanks in advance!

Can I ask what inks you used in the pictures? I'm looking for blues in that shade.

Thanks in advance!

Of course: all of them are Sailor Ink: Sailor Jentle Blue-black (the darker) and Sei-Boku Nano Blue-Black (the brighter). I must say that I love very much the Jentle Blue-black, which is really dark and original for me.

Roger

Thanks in advance!

Of course: all of them are Sailor Ink: Sailor Jentle Blue-black (the darker) and Sei-Boku Nano Blue-Black (the brighter). I must say that I love very much the Jentle Blue-black, which is really dark and original for me.

Yes. I'll have to agree with you on that. It was the nice dark blue shade that caught my attention. I shall now order a few bottles for myself. Heh. :P

Thanks!

Still waiting on mine :-(. Chartpak still doesn't have F nibs in the U.S., apparently! But your review may hold me over for awhile!

Brilliant review. Thanks for sharing.

I have a question. You prefer the KOP to the M1005. I also read your KOP review and noticed you mentioned softness of the nib. I have a M1000 which I believe shares the same nib with 1005 (color difference). I like the springy M1000 nib. It feels softer than the Visconti dreamtouch nib which is also a wonderful nib. Is the KOP nib softer or more springy than your M1005 nib? If yes, I may want to explore this pen in the future.

May I ask what journal you are writing in?

Of course. This journal was a present from a friend who bought it to an artisan of Firenze (Tuscany, Italy). You can find similar journals here:

http://www.andys-pen...njournals.shtml

Roger

Edited by rogerico

Roger

Brilliant review. Thanks for sharing.

I have a question. You prefer the KOP to the M1005. I also read your KOP review and noticed you mentioned softness of the nib. I have a M1000 which I believe shares the same nib with 1005 (color difference). I like the springy M1000 nib. It feels softer than the Visconti dreamtouch nib which is also a wonderful nib. Is the KOP nib softer or more springy than your M1005 nib? If yes, I may want to explore this pen in the future.

Thanks for your comment. The M1005 nib, shared with M1000, is really springy, it's a great nib undoubtedly. The first time I tested it I thought it would be a good writer. Then I took my Sailor KOP and I wrote some words to compare immediately the sensations... No doubt at all: KOP's nib is the best I've ever used. And now I can tell that after having written a whole novel with it. But remeber that it's not a flexible nib.

Roger