Review: Montblanc Mystery Black

GutSchrift

Here's another quick little review of my new black. I used Noodler's OMB for a long time but got tired of some of its less admirable qualities (though it is a deep, deep, deep black generally). Anyway, I'm very happy with its current replacement. This was the first MB ink I've used and I'm really into the inks that they offer (I have three now -- Grey, Black and Midnight Blue / Black). Thank you!

post-40260-0-92270400-1368214838_thumb.jpg

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• georges zaslavsky

• GutSchrift

• storyteller

• anton1978

• 4 weeks later...

Here's another quick little review of my new black. I used Noodler's OMB for a long time but got tired of some of its less admirable qualities (though it is a deep, deep, deep black generally). Anyway, I'm very happy with its current replacement. This was the first MB ink I've used and I'm really into the inks that they offer (I have three now -- Grey, Black and Midnight Blue / Black). Thank you!

Thanks for the review.

I just purchased a bottle of this ink and apart from the fact that I find it lubricates well above average and is also quite wet (in my pens) can confirm the the above review.

It's my best black to date (and no, I shall not knock the other blacks I've used :) )

I'm rediscovering MB inks, didn't particularly care for the older ones (going back a while), but this Mystery Black, Midnight Blue, Irish Green and especially the Burgundy Red are worth testing IMO.

• 5 weeks later...

excellent :thumbup: this ink will be my next black ink once all of my bottles of private reserve fast ultra black and my bottle of herbin encre perle noire will be empty

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

• 5 months later...

How does it compare to the new Permanent Black form MB? The permanent stuff is $28USD/bottle!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pat Barnes a.k.a. billz

@ GutSchrift:

What were your issues with OMB? I'd be interested to know that the comparison between the two inks are (especially given the difference in price), since I have a bottle of that that I got about a year ago, but haven't used much (I'm not big on black inks in general, although I can appreciate the need for them at times).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Gutschrift, thanks for the nice review. I've always liked this MB ink, flows nicely and is sufficiently saturated. Besides using the ink as is, I mix the Mystery Black with MB Royal Blue to get a darker purple color.

Pete

There are a thousand thoughts lying within a man

that he does not know until he takes up his pen to write.

Thackeray

excellent :thumbup: this ink will be my next black ink once all of my bottles of private reserve fast ultra black and my bottle of herbin encre perle noire will be empty

Dude, if you like perle noir it means u truly like dark saturated blacks. This WILL disappoint you. It's so undersaturated, so..brownish..ugh..I have never used a black I disliked so much..And up till now, I have tried a total of 18 blacks with my top of the line being Pilot Iroshizuku Take-Sumi and a couple of others..but I'd advocate avoiding this one..truly do..

Fountain pens are like weapons. They just make your pocket bleed so much.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

Hi

Thank you for review.

I just bought a bottle of this ink. I'm getting to know it but, at first glance, I like it rich and dense black.

Edited by Tonux

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

~ It's useful to see Montblanc Mystery Black reviewed in two visual formats.

Seeing it written in Persian script is especially useful, for comparison purposes.

Tom K.