Inks To Avoid Using In A Nakaya?

persco

In a couple of weeks I have my first two Nakayas arriving. Very excited. I have ordered some sample inks from Goulet's, but reading about different inks gave rise to a thought regarding whether or not there are some ins to avoid using in Nakaya pens? I've read that people have had problems with certain inks (won't mention any, but one in particular was the focus of some raucus here at FPN).

Has anyone ever experienced problems with certain inks in your Nakaya pens? I'm wondering if the urushi finish is more vulnerable to ink stains, or anything?

Before I go ahead and load up ink in my new expensive pens, I wanted to ask about it here. My apologies if this comes across as silly. I am not familiar with the use of inks beyond using MB cartidges and bottled MB ink.

For information I have ordered samples of the following:

Noodler's Baystate Blue

Sailor Kiwa-Guro Pigmented Nano Black
Sailor Sei-Boku Pigmented Nano Blue-Black

Iroshizuku Tsuki-yo (Moonlight)

Iroshizuku Yama-guri (Wild Chestnut)
Iroshizuku Take-sumi (Bamboo Charcoal)
Rohrer & Klingner Sepia

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• persco

• monanza

• KBeezie

• shuuemura

Noodler's Baystate Blue

Sailor Kiwa-Guro Pigmented Nano Black

Sailor Sei-Boku Pigmented Nano Blue-Black

Iroshizuku Tsuki-yo (Moonlight)

Iroshizuku Yama-guri (Wild Chestnut)

Iroshizuku Take-sumi (Bamboo Charcoal)

Rohrer & Klingner Sepia

Of the inks listed you'll be safe with any of the Iroshizuku and R&K. The Sailor inks will require more maintenance and I would only use them if you use the pen often.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

-Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Of the inks listed you'll be safe with any of the Iroshizuku and R&K. The Sailor inks will require more maintenance and I would only use them if you use the pen often.

Thanks. Very helpful.

admittedly i'm not very fussy about them. I won't put in any of the baystate series or iron gall but that's about it.

I had a sneaking suspicion about the BSB just because of others' experience. I'll avoid it in my Nakayas and perhaps try it in some other pen I don't care too much about staining. BSB is compelling to me because it had such a rich eye-popping blue which I would really like to have...

BSB is an awesome ink and I always have it in something...I don't use it in hard to clean pens and I essentially have dedicated a pen to it. But the color is WOW!

As to recommendations for what to use in your Nakayas...I agree with the Iro and R&K recommendations (from what you have ordered) my other suggestion would be Waterman inks...particularly whatever they are calling Florida Blue now!

Edited by WOBentley

This post contains 100% recycled electrons

http://i952.photobucket.com/albums/ae8/Catriker/Pen%20Pics/SmallCzarNikolai.jpg

I have to agree with others and recommend that you avoid Baystate Blue unless you are sure you will dedicate that Nakaya to it and it alone. Gorgeous vibrant color but I would stay away.

I can confirm that the Iroshizuku inks will give you no problem. For blue you might want to try Kon-peki.

Nihon no urushi ga hitsuyo de!

I've never had a problem with Iroshizuku inks; I have never had any problem AT ALL with any Sailor Jentle ink - this includes the nano black and Sei Boku. Of all the inks I own (~200 bottles from all the major companies), these two companies' are the most consistently behaved, predictable and trouble free. As such, they outnumber their closest challengers by at least 3:1.

Specifically Nakaya: I have found that Nakaya and Platinum pens function very well with all inks. (Other than the dreaded 'feed-stop' issue that no-one seems to understand.)

Too many pens; too little writing.

I like (and use) BSB a lot but would never put it in any urushi Nakaya. Why? Well, to clean out BSB properly I use iso-propyl alcohol (IPA), however you must NOT put IPA near urushi as it damages it. Also, removal and resetting of the Nakaya nib is difficult so cannot take it to bits to clean. As I only use BSB in pens that I can dissamble and wash out the ink in IPA, it never goes near my beloved Nakayas!

If you want a distinctive blue ink, as others have said, the Iroshizuku inks are very good; kon-peki is a bright blue, asa-gao and tsuyu-kusa are also interesting blues, and of course ama-iro if you want a bright cheerful light blue..... the Sailor jentle Sky High and Ultramarine are also worth a look. I confess that I've got quite a few more Iroshizuku inks now as there's just a certain "something" about them that I really like.

'Cat

"Relay"

SignalboxCat

speak truth unto power

I like (and use) BSB a lot but would never put it in any urushi Nakaya. Why? Well, to clean out BSB properly I use iso-propyl alcohol (IPA), however you must NOT put IPA near urushi as it damages it. Also, removal and resetting of the Nakaya nib is difficult so cannot take it to bits to clean. As I only use BSB in pens that I can dissamble and wash out the ink in IPA, it never goes near my beloved Nakayas!

If you want a distinctive blue ink, as others have said, the Iroshizuku inks are very good; kon-peki is a bright blue, asa-gao and tsuyu-kusa are also interesting blues, and of course ama-iro if you want a bright cheerful light blue..... the Sailor jentle Sky High and Ultramarine are also worth a look. I confess that I've got quite a few more Iroshizuku inks now as there's just a certain "something" about them that I really like.

'Cat

Thanks 'Cat. From what I've read regarding care and maintenance of urushi, it's actually resitant to alcohol... Anyone else have experience with urushi laquer and Iso-propyl alcohol?

I think Winedoc responded to this thread about urushi finishes recently. It might be helpful. For my part, I've used a damp microfibre plush cloth to clean my Nakayas and it works just fine.

I also like Platinum Carbon Black and Pigment Blue (similar to the Sailor Nano inks) but I avoid using them in urushi pens. It takes a bit of effort to clean these inks out and I am wary of soaking the urushi sections for hours on end. Platinum sells a cleaning solution but requires that the pen be soaked a whole day if cleaning out pigment-based inks.

You could take the precaution of flushing the pen with water after every fill. It sounds excessive but I'd personally rather deal with this fuss than risk prolonged soaks in water.

Edited by KarloT

I think Winedoc responded to this thread about urushi finishes recently. It might be helpful. For my part, I've used a damp microfibre plush cloth to clean my Nakayas and it works just fine.

I also like Platinum Carbon Black and Pigment Blue (similar to the Sailor Nano inks) but I avoid using them in urushi pens. It takes a bit of effort to clean these inks out and I am wary of soaking the urushi sections for hours on end. Platinum sells a cleaning solution but requires that the pen be soaked a whole day if cleaning out pigment-based inks.

You could take the precaution of flushing the pen with water after every fill. It sounds excessive but I'd personally rather deal with this fuss than risk prolonged soaks in water.

With the Nakayas, note that it is very easy to pull the feed and nib from them for deep cleaning, and they go back in pretty simply as well. Just mark the depth of the set in some way so you can recreate it and you should be set.

With the Nakayas, note that it is very easy to pull the feed and nib from them for deep cleaning, and they go back in pretty simply as well. Just mark the depth of the set in some way so you can recreate it and you should be set.

They are indeed friction fit. However, I am unsure if I would be upsetting the steam-fitting of the nib to feed if I repeatedly disassemble these from the section. :(

You make it sound oh so easy ...........

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

Oh. I was under the impression that Nakaya nibs required heat (steam) and training to do this correctly. Hmm...

As for inks -- I have used Platinum Carbon Black and Sailor Sei-boku in my Nakayas, but those inks are harder to clean (I've noticed residue), so I use them in pens with nibs that I can remove for a thorough cleaning.

As for BSB -- if I liked the color and wanted to use this ink, I would not use it in my Nakayas. I've heard that some people have and with no issue, and I'm glad about that, but I wouldn't feel comfortable using it in my hard-to-replace pens.

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

Oh. I was under the impression that Nakaya nibs required heat (steam) and training to do this correctly. Hmm...

As for inks -- I have used Platinum Carbon Black and Sailor Sei-boku in my Nakayas, but those inks are harder to clean (I've noticed residue), so I use them in pens with nibs that I can remove for a thorough cleaning.

As for BSB -- if I liked the color and wanted to use this ink, I would not use it in my Nakayas. I've heard that some people have and with no issue, and I'm glad about that, but I wouldn't feel comfortable using it in my hard-to-replace pens.

ethernautrix, glad to see you reanimated your avatar!

As for inks in Nakayas...I don't treat them any differently than my other pens. Mine are inked up with Noodler's BP black, Pilot Blue Black, or some Iroshizuku. I have a pretty limited palate...

you can also use diamine and montblanc inks in your nakayas with absolute confidence

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

If you are concerned about deep-cleaning your Nakayas after using a high-maintenance ink like BSB, I would recommend the Platinum cleaning kit. The squeeze bulb is a real time-saver for flushing pens, and worth the price of the kit by itself IMHO.

http://www.nibs.com/NakayaOptionsAccessoriesInkCleaningKit.html

Thanks shuumura... I've seen the kits, and was thinking of geting one. Have you used BSB in a Nakaya? I'd be curious to know if the Platinum kit works with BSB.

I have not used BSB, but I have used the pigmented Sailor Kiwa Guro black ink in a Nakaya and that ink flushes out fine even with normal converter action. I would stay away from the Sei Boku ink though - it caused my Namiki Yukari Royale to clog, even when I used my pen everyday. Luckily it was repaired after a trip to Pilot Pen USA. YMMV.