Shocking, Neon Inks: Can Anything Compare To Bsb?

Frangipani

Over a year ago, I opened my first bottle of Baystate Blue. I was in heaven.

It is so bright and so lovely. I have used it daily since.

Soon after, I ordered Baystate Concord Grape and Cape Cod Cranberry. Unfortunately, those inks were not nearly as bright. I rarely use them.

I've also bought Diamine Orange, which is supposed to be a neon orange. It's pretty bright, but not nearly as bright as Baystate Blue.

Should I give up trying to find another ink like BSB? Does anyone know of something that compares?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• Frangipani

• RoriRants

• TheGreatRoe

Try Noodler's Dragon's Napalm. It is a match for BSB. Look at writing under various lights. It's always bright, but under some lights it nearly jumps off the page.

inkstainedruth

Another one to maybe take a look at is Platinum Mix-Free Flame Red -- it's quite bright (although I don't know how it compares to Dragon's Napalm).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

TheGreatRoe

Try Noodler's Dragon's Napalm. It is a match for BSB. Look at writing under various lights. It's always bright, but under some lights it nearly jumps off the page.

I'll both agree and disagree with Dragon's Napalm. I'm another lover of BSB, but Dragin's Napalm was bright but without any of the character of BSB. Napalm dries oddly uniform...the shading that exists when you first lay down the line, evens out and the words become bright but simultaneously dull.

"The Great Roe is a mythological beast with the head of a lion and the body of a lion, but not the same lion."

My Personal Blog | My Creative Writing Blog | My Heraldry Designs

http://dcroe05.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/crestdr.png?w=100

Frangipani

Thanks everyone. I've thought about getting Dragon's Napalm before.

I like the pen that comes with the 4.5 oz bottle too.

I'll get a sample due to your concerns, dcroe05. I generally just go crazy and buy a bottle. :P

I'll also check out Solferino!

About the mix free red, yep, I have it and it is pretty bright. I'm not sure if it's on the level with BSB, but it's good.

If you add some whiteness of the whale, you can get a pink that is much brighter than Baystate Cranberry.

amberleadavis

Well, I love Cape Cod Cranberry.

http://sheismylawyer.com/INK/attachments/2012-02-25_02_CCC.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Want to get a special letter / gift from me, then create a Ghostly Avatar

Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 366 Inks in 2016

Check out inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

amberleadavis

This is a pink that I mixed (and I do have recipe).

http://sheismylawyer.com/INK/attachments/2012-11-09_002.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Check out inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

amberleadavis

This is a pink that I mixed (and I do have recipe).

http://sheismylawyer.com/INK/attachments/2012-11-09_002.jpg

Frangipani

I'll also get a sample of Hope Pink! Thanks. :)

I also like Cape Cod Cranberry, but I just don't find my bottle to be that bright.
Even with a cotton swab, it never looks as bright as that.

That pink you made looks nice. If it involves mix-free, maybe I can make it.

If not, well, probably not. I'm sure someone else would like the recipe though. :D

amberleadavis

Here's a few more samples. I'll also finda sample of Tsvetana and Dragon Catfish Pink.

http://sheismylawyer.com/INK/attachments/2012_05_28_summer_0070.jpg

amberleadavis

Noodler's Tsvetana (and the name get's spelled differently all the time) is one of the Russian series. VERY bright and quite finicky. Definitely bullet proof. Consider also Comanche Rouge - one of my very favorites.

http://sheismylawyer.com/INK/attachments/2012-11-09-500-003.jpg

amberleadavis

Hmm... Dragon Catfish Pink .. which is definitely neon, is just not as retinal scarring as BSB. Here is a sample though for your review.

http://sheismylawyer.com/INK/attachments/123-original_small.jpg

Diamine Pumpkin is my go-to when I want to mark a student's paper and be noticed. It tends to crust on the nib, but doesn't seem to harm the pen. It is eye-popping bright, but somehow still pleasing to my eyes.

Look at some of the inks in Noodler's Russian series...as stated they are a bit higher maintenance but some are very bright so may meet your requirements.

This post contains 100% recycled electrons

http://i952.photobucket.com/albums/ae8/Catriker/Pen%20Pics/SmallCzarNikolai.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Three suggestions that I find very bright:

• Iroshizuku Fuyu-gaki -- a brilliant reddish orange
  • Iroshizuku Yu-yake -- a brlliant orange (less legible to my eyes than Fuyu-gaki)
  • Iroshizuku Tsutsuji -- a neon hot pink

I've been on a quest to see if I could commit all Seven Deadly Sins in a single day. Finally, it dawned on me I shouldn't try for the One Day Wonder Prize for all seven in one day. It's simply out of any question as you can't commit decent sloth while busily ticking the other six off your crowded "to do" list. -- ViolinWriter

Well, I love Cape Cod Cranberry.

http://sheismylawyer.com/INK/attachments/2012-02-25_02_CCC.jpg

There ought to be a law. In fact, I'll bet there are a couple. Meanwhile...

http://faithandmeow.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/oh-my-eyes.jpg

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

SeeksAdvice

That Noodler's pink-purple is a bit excessive.

Not sure why Noodler's calls that cranberry. Doesn't remind me of cranberry at all.

Diamine Jade Green looks to be something that is eye melting.

Imagination and memory are but one thing which for diverse reasons hath diverse names. -- T. Hobbes - Leviathan

Pterodactylus

You might also give Rohrer & Klingner Blu Mare a try, it's my brightest ink, the ink jumps almost off the page into your eyes.