A Chinese Pen Experience

chandelle

Hi everyone,

I got myself a bunch of Chinese pens last month and have been trying out a few of them since.

My 'test-drives' have included writing out two A4-sized sheets continuously and filling up another A4 sheet with random line patterns including a checkerboard. Surprisingly, I see a pattern in some of the pens.

Of my four Jinhaos put to the test, the blue celluloid Century has performed nearly flawlessly. Straight out of the box, without even a flush required. It sometimes doesn't write after I've stopped using it for a while but once it starts, it keeps going effortlessly. The X450, X750 and 159 have been a massive disappointment; I've flushed the pens, taken apart the nibs and feeds and carefully cleaned the feeds with dishwashing soap and a toothbrush (as recommended on a website) but the problems continue. And then I just thought of chucking the 159's Jinhao cartridge converter and replacing it from another standard converter. Knock on wood, but that seems to have done the trick for the 159, which now can't wait to get out of my pocket and on to the paper... incredible! When I pulled out the Jinhao converter, I saw that even on inverting it, the ink didn't drop down and was 'stuck' to the top, for the want of a better term. I suspected a breathing problem or whatever (could even be a small plastic sphere in there that's the culprit).

No idea if this fix would make the X450, X750 and Kaigelu 323 usable but there's one final remedy that I now can try ere trashing them.

I have three Picassos and these are by far the most reliable of my Chinese pens. The Dukes are still in the box and might yet perform well but the Picassos are hard to complain about. They're not my sort in that I like pens that are moderate to big-sized. The Picassos are all slim and dainty but never once have any shown the slightest hint of skipping or are there any other problems.

Has anyone here had a similar experience?

------------------------------------------------------

'Nothing' isn't impossible. I've done it all my life

http://fountainpenreviews.wordpress.com/

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• vivisay

• chandelle

• slayerfans

• Wonder Pens

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I love my Jinhao X750 with a medium nib. It has always been a smooth writer and very reliable. I find that quality with chinese pens is rather hit or miss. I've had to tune most of the ones that I've purchased and one, a Hero "eight horses" has never written no matter what I've done to it. For the most part, all my chinese fountain pens have done well and I'm glad that I got started with them.

There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are. - W. Somerset Maugham

http://wendyvancamp.com

The convertors can be a slight problem due to surface tension.

Are there little meniscus breaking balls or springs in the convertors you have, chandelle? If not, then it may be worth splitting the convertor & dropping in a glass ball rescued from an old international cartridge. This will probably help - but it may not cure all the problems you have.

Regards,

Richard.

Are there little meniscus breaking balls or springs in the convertors you have, chandelle? If not, then it may be worth splitting the convertor & dropping in a glass ball rescued from an old international cartridge. This will probably help - but it may not cure all the problems you have.

The pesky Jinhao converter had a ball. My second Kaigelu pen, which is easily the most delectably finished Chinese product (a real eye-catcher) I've laid hands on, also has a converter with a ball inside it but that has never caused any grief.

This will seem funny but a major problem I have is to find a shop here in the UAE that sells international cartridge converters!

------------------------------------------------------

'Nothing' isn't impossible. I've done it all my life

http://fountainpenreviews.wordpress.com/

I've had good luck on Amazon dot com, and also on XFountainpens dot com. If the converter gives you grief, you could also profit from sticking in a standard cartridge.

I have quite a few Chinese pens, among which a number of Jinhaos, Baoers, Dukes, and Heroes. None have given me any trouble. Sometimes I would get better flow if I switched the converter out, but usually they've worked well. Did you clean your converter with water and dishwashing liquid as well?

HTH

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

I just got a Bulow x750 from xfountainpens yesterday, with the optional extra fine nib, and I am quite impressed with it. Considering this is my first "real" pen, I don't have a lot of experience with problems, but I don't have a complaint about this pen. I think it is a rebranded Jinhao x750, according to what I have read. The size and weight is great for me and it puts down a nice fine line just like I like. After a wash with dish soap and a good flushing I loaded it up with Chesterfield Smoked Topaz and it worked right off. Even experimented and left it uncapped for a good 10 minutes and when I picked it back up it was ready for the first stroke. My Pilot Varsity was never able to do that, after only 5 minutes! So I guess I got a good one and it already has replaced every rollerball, gel ink, pencil and marker that I used to write with. YMMV!

Raths

With practice comes skill...I really need to practice

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

I am a fan of Picasso pens, found first on ebay, then isellpens.com, Todd Nussbaum's site (though he no longer carries them, I have no idea why). The four I have all perform well and are interesting. One of them was a cut above the rest, beautifully lacquered, with a 14k gold nib that writes wonderfully. A very special pen.

• 3 weeks later...

A lot of the Jinhao pens now come with springs in the converter, but of course, Chinese pens are sometimes ones you need to tinker with quite a bit!

www.wonderpens.ca

wonderpens.wordpress.com

My first fountain pen was eleven years ago ,it's from Hero .But i forgot what it model number are .

I remembered Hero was really very popular at that time .And it's not very expensive .I got it only cost $ 1.5 ,and it's ink less $ 1.

Very cheap ,right ?

Duke fountain pen is ok ,and it's enjoy great reputation in the market .The most funny thing was that Picassios and DUKE just like KFC and McDonald ,you know my means ?HH

Actually ,i felt that many brands appearance looks like the same .Right ?

I thought you maybe don't like big pen .so am i !

I like the pen with elegant style ,hh.

I had two DUKE fountain pen now .They looks just like a girl good in shape ,make me feel enjoy .

You can share my picture .

And i wanna share a fountain pen with you ,it's from DUKE ,i think maybe you wound like it .Gent style ,not very big and heavy .Maybe about 40g or 50g,i thought that .

You can saw it at Ebay shop : http://www.ebay.com/itm/261221818364,and the last picture i shared .

Beat Regard ,

VIVI

In one minute you can change your attitude and in that minute you can change your entire day.

Hi everyone,

I got myself a bunch of Chinese pens last month and have been trying out a few of them since.

My 'test-drives' have included writing out two A4-sized sheets continuously and filling up another A4 sheet with random line patterns including a checkerboard. Surprisingly, I see a pattern in some of the pens.

Of my four Jinhaos put to the test, the blue celluloid Century has performed nearly flawlessly. Straight out of the box, without even a flush required. It sometimes doesn't write after I've stopped using it for a while but once it starts, it keeps going effortlessly. The X450, X750 and 159 have been a massive disappointment; I've flushed the pens, taken apart the nibs and feeds and carefully cleaned the feeds with dishwashing soap and a toothbrush (as recommended on a website) but the problems continue. And then I just thought of chucking the 159's Jinhao cartridge converter and replacing it from another standard converter. Knock on wood, but that seems to have done the trick for the 159, which now can't wait to get out of my pocket and on to the paper... incredible! When I pulled out the Jinhao converter, I saw that even on inverting it, the ink didn't drop down and was 'stuck' to the top, for the want of a better term. I suspected a breathing problem or whatever (could even be a small plastic sphere in there that's the culprit).

No idea if this fix would make the X450, X750 and Kaigelu 323 usable but there's one final remedy that I now can try ere trashing them.

I have three Picassos and these are by far the most reliable of my Chinese pens. The Dukes are still in the box and might yet perform well but the Picassos are hard to complain about. They're not my sort in that I like pens that are moderate to big-sized. The Picassos are all slim and dainty but never once have any shown the slightest hint of skipping or are there any other problems.

Has anyone here had a similar experience?

I forgot to upupload the picture ^_^.

The last one is gentleman style .hh

post-102997-0-49501400-1369719297_thumb.jpg

post-102997-0-89931900-1369719389_thumb.jpg

post-102997-0-46129100-1369719435_thumb.jpg

In one minute you can change your attitude and in that minute you can change your entire day.