Pilot News For Fall

KeatsPhD

This past weekend, my local pen shop had a "trunk show" with Namiki/Pilot's John Lane (National Sales Manager) and I got to fondle and admire some new goodies coming out. Forgive me if this is old news to you all, but I've been living under a pile of papers to grade...well since January and haven't been "in the loop" this semester. :)

The Stella 90s is coming to the US this fall, but it won't be called Stella 90s - blue pearl, black pearl and white pearl for the body colors.

The Grance is coming (back) to the US next fall (2014) to avoid competing with the Stella this year. I remember a black pearl and a blue pearl, but I can't remember if there was a third pen color or not.

There's a new VP for the 50 anniversary that will be made of maple. I got to hold the new prototype - maple wood with gold furniture. It was quite attractive. For those who don't like the weight of the regular VP, it's a little bit lighter. It comes out Nov. 1 - apparently that is a firm release date with Pilot. They will be a limited, numbered production. From what John said, there won't be as many to go around as with the usual yearly limited edition colors.

I also played with a new adjustable flex pen that will be coming in the fall. It will come with a soft fine or soft medium nib and there's an integrated dial at the top of the section so you can made the nib more or less flexible. The one I played with was black - felt like polished ebonite or a nice warm resin in the hand. I don't know if the pen will come in other colors or not, but the nib is obviously the draw here.

The regular Raden VP (one of my HG pens that I finally got at the event at a discount) will be going away over the next year in favor of the new Raden designs. If you've always wanted one, you'll want to get one soon.

For the curious, Kon-peki is the highest selling Iroshizuku color, but the new Take-sumi is getting close.

That's the Namiki/Pilot news I got this weekend. Now the anticipation can begin!

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KeatsPhD

• amateriat

• ehemem

• tguk911

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This past weekend, my local pen shop had a "trunk show" with Namiki/Pilot's John Lane (National Sales Manager) and I got to fondle and admire some new goodies coming out. Forgive me if this is old news to you all, but I've been living under a pile of papers to grade...well since January and haven't been "in the loop" this semester. :)

The Stella 90s is coming to the US this fall, but it won't be called Stella 90s - blue pearl, black pearl and white pearl for the body colors.

The Grance is coming (back) to the US next fall (2014) to avoid competing with the Stella this year. I remember a black pearl and a blue pearl, but I can't remember if there was a third pen color or not.

There's a new VP for the 50 anniversary that will be made of maple. I got to hold the new prototype - maple wood with gold furniture. It was quite attractive. For those who don't like the weight of the regular VP, it's a little bit lighter. It comes out Nov. 1 - apparently that is a firm release date with Pilot. They will be a limited, numbered production. From what John said, there won't be as many to go around as with the usual yearly limited edition colors.

I also played with a new adjustable flex pen that will be coming in the fall. It will come with a soft fine or soft medium nib and there's an integrated dial at the top of the section so you can made the nib more or less flexible. The one I played with was black - felt like polished ebonite or a nice warm resin in the hand. I don't know if the pen will come in other colors or not, but the nib is obviously the draw here.

The regular Raden VP (one of my HG pens that I finally got at the event at a discount) will be going away over the next year in favor of the new Raden designs. If you've always wanted one, you'll want to get one soon.

For the curious, Kon-peki is the highest selling Iroshizuku color, but the new Take-sumi is getting close.

That's the Namiki/Pilot news I got this weekend. Now the anticipation can begin!

That's awesome news. I'm assuming the adjustable flex pen was the Justus 95, do you mean it's coming to the US this fall?

Thanks for the report KeatsPhD, good to see you back!

Saw something about the adjustable flex nib, Would you share more about this pen please? particularly size, weight, and what you liked or disliked about the nib. was it inked? good ink flow at the different adjustment stations?

Any photos one might drool over?

Erick

Using right now:

Visconti Voyager 30 "M" nib running Birmingham Streetcar

Jinhao 9019 "EF" nib running Birmingham Railroad Spike

Stipula Adagio "F" nib running Birmingham Violet Sea Snail

Sailor Profit "B" nib running Van Dieman's Night - Shooting Star

tguk911 & pen2paper: Thanks! It's good to be back. :) I can't remember the name off the top of my head, but from googling for pictures it looks like it probably is the Justus 95. It was a nice length and weight - not very heavy even when posted (and I'm not usually a posted cap kinda person). The ink flow was really nice - and it was filled with Yama-budo, which was great. It wasn't sloppy wet on any setting but put down a nice line. I didn't want to flex it too much (since it wasn't my pen to abuse), but it was nice and springy - a little more so than my Falcon. It seems like it would be a good compromise for the folks who like the Falcon, but want a more versatile pen that's good for flex or firmer writing. I didn't spend a lot of time with it since there were so many other things for show and tell, but it's definitely on my short list.

I wish I had snapped a couple of photos of the maple VP, but I didn't even think to do it. It was a bit like sensory overload with all the new stuff and just talking with John and the store owner. :) I don't know how much over the price point it will be, but I believe he said that there will be under 1,000 for the US market since Namiki/Pilot wants to keep most of them in Japan since it's the special anniversary pen. I haven't really been interested in a wooden pen, but that one is really quite nice. And I love my VPs, so it wouldn't go unused. Apparently the box it will come in is also going to be pretty spectacular from what John said.

Wow, thanks for the update KeatsPhD! I wonder if John and the Pilots (that sounds like a band name now, doesn't it) will be travelling to any other stores. Does anyone have any confirmation/info?

Visit Pen&Design!

@penanddesign

I am guessing that the new design radens are the wave of the future (price-wise at least)?

If so, that really makes the current one a bargain. I bet the remaining ones are snapped up..I'm glad I got mine at below $300 when Oscar Braun was around.

the Danitrio Fellowship

tguk911 & pen2paper: Thanks! It's good to be back. :) I can't remember the name off the top of my head, but from googling for pictures it looks like it probably is the Justus 95. It was a nice length and weight - not very heavy even when posted (and I'm not usually a posted cap kinda person). The ink flow was really nice - and it was filled with Yama-budo, which was great. It wasn't sloppy wet on any setting but put down a nice line. I didn't want to flex it too much (since it wasn't my pen to abuse), but it was nice and springy - a little more so than my Falcon. It seems like it would be a good compromise for the folks who like the Falcon, but want a more versatile pen that's good for flex or firmer writing. I didn't spend a lot of time with it since there were so many other things for show and tell, but it's definitely on my short list.

I wish I had snapped a couple of photos of the maple VP, but I didn't even think to do it. It was a bit like sensory overload with all the new stuff and just talking with John and the store owner. :) I don't know how much over the price point it will be, but I believe he said that there will be under 1,000 for the US market since Namiki/Pilot wants to keep most of them in Japan since it's the special anniversary pen. I haven't really been interested in a wooden pen, but that one is really quite nice. And I love my VPs, so it wouldn't go unused. Apparently the box it will come in is also going to be pretty spectacular from what John said.

Thanks I was going to ask if it had more flex than the Falcon but you must have read my mind. I found it on Rakuten for around 230 which isn't bad plus a little extra fee for the forwarding service which isn't much, I just have to decide which pattern I want.

I also should grab one of the Raden VPs if what you said is true about them moving toward the $600 Raden which I don't find that much better.

FWIW, I'm not usually a fan of the VPs but I'd certainly consider one in maple - did they mention a price for this LE VP?

JLS1: I'm not sure what the price on the maple VP will be, but it will be more that the usual LE colors that usually come in about $240. Given the truly limited US release, I would guess they'll be closer to $400, but I don't know for sure.

tguk911: That's not bad for the Justus. Sounds like a good "back to school" pen for me! ;)

I'm also sorry to see the regular Raden go. The new ones are lovely, but I really like the spray of chips rather than the intentional design of the new ones. Of course, that labor also gets factored into the cost. With the event pricing, I was also able to get mine for under $300, so that makes getting my hands on one even better. I got to hear a little more about the design. Apparently the older Raden style was made using the leftover abalone shell from the high Namiki maki-e pens.

JLS1: I'm not sure what the price on the maple VP will be, but it will be more that the usual LE colors that usually come in about $240. Given the truly limited US release, I would guess they'll be closer to $400, but I don't know for sure.

John told me it will probably be closer to the $800 range, which means probably $600ish "street" price. Very limited in the US... I think most of the pens will end up staying in Japan.

I'm sad to see the regular Raden go too! I might have to snag one for myself. :)

Thanks for the pricing info, Rachel! I'll have to start saving my pennies now if I want to be ready for November. I'm not surprised though. I think John said something like 800 or fewer for the US market. There will be a mad scramble if they end up being really popular.

Wow, great information thank you. I'm lucky enough to have the older Raden VP, and I love it. If anyone's on the fence, I'd say go for it; you won't regret it.

KeatsPhD, thanks for the updates. I'll really have to scrounge and see what my pen budget is for the fall.

Hopefully there will be enough stock of the anniversary edition, but I take heart that the LEs aren't going as fast as they used to. The 2010 Ice Green LEs (at 2k total production) are still available for sale (though slightly rare). Hopefully, the higher price of the anniversary pen, despite the lower numbers, means there will (probably?) still be enough stock for those who want it.

BTW, how do you find out about these events (trunk shows)?

Edited by Trebor

John told me it will probably be closer to the $800 range, which means probably $600ish "street" price. Very limited in the US... I think most of the pens will end up staying in Japan.

I'm sad to see the regular Raden go too! I might have to snag one for myself. :)

Thanks for the info. $600 is out of my price range but we'll have to see what the actual price will be when it hits our shores. :unsure:

Augh, sometimes I feel like I should stop browsing the FPN forums: I'm already saving for a Danitrio, but now I'm wanting one of those Raden VPs too..!

Uh-oh...that Justus is seriously catching my eye right now:

http://www.pilot.co.jp/products/pen/fountain/justus95/index.html

And to think, I only recently mustered up the cash to replace my lost black Custom 823 (which arrived less than a month ago). My VP desires have been met with a matte-black version, while I was about to consider replacing my clear Custom 74 (B nib) with either a smoke-finish 74 in M or a second 823 (amber). Now, of course, the Justus is playing a bit of havoc with that idea.

Arthur Brown's Pen Fair is this week here in Gotham. Maybe it'll show up there...?

- Barrett

Edited by amateriat

The Story So Far:

I did get to Art Brown this afternoon (living in Brooklyn for some 20-odd years has spoiled me...walking on most any street in Manhattan these days makes me feel like the proverbial trout moving upstream). The gang from Pilot was there. So were most all the upcoming goodies from them, including the Justus 95:

post-5986-0-79782600-1368755992_thumb.jpg

I got to try the Stella and Grance as well (I'm told, as Keats mentioned in the first post, they're thinking about a name change on the former), and ogle the new Raden VPs (there are two versions, both stunning). Pilot is clearly on a roll here.

But it was the Justus 95 that simply knocked me out:

post-5986-0-18427000-1368756213_thumb.jpg

The story is that the late-70s version of the Justus wasn't really up to Pilot's usual standard in terms of mechanical integrity, and was pulled from production. Not long ago, the rep was handed a pen that was to become the Justus 95, from one of the top people at Pilot. Apparently, someone got the mechanical bits sorted out, and decided to update the styling. He was asked if he could sell something like this in the States: "Could I!" was his answer. I added that, IMO, Pilot's initial problem is going to be making enough of them to fill initial demand.

A few details: the pen will be offered with a choice of F or M nibs (14k), and will only be offered with the black Barley finish - the rep feels the striped version wasn't quite distinctive enough, though I'm toying with the idea of asking if he'd have at least one of those slip in if I put in an advance order.

Target street price is $300.

Yep, I'm getting one.

- Barrett

Edited by amateriat