Kaigelu 316 Acrylic Barrel Finial

richardandtracy

I have been threatening to make a barrel finial for my Charcoal Kaigelu 316 for some time now, and at last I managed to get both the time and workshop temperature high enough to allow me to do it over the weekend.

I removed the Kaigelu barrel finial in the way Flounder suggested in his 'accidental disassembly thread' (here - https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/232530-kaigelu-316-accidental-disassembly-photos ), by dipping the finial in nearly boiling water for 2-3 minutes, then pouring some of the hot water down the barrel & finally twisted hard with my fingers protected from the heat by a cloth. The finial was quite stiff, but came out in my fingers without the need for section pliars.

The brass finial weighed 12g (weighed on an old balance scale with an error of up to +/-0.5g), which is quite a remarkable weight for such a small item.

Anyway, I then measured it up, and came up with the cross section drawing below:
http://i771.photobucket.com/albums/xx356/richardandtracy/Kaigelu%20316%20Review/Kaigelu316Photo17_zps47b3871b.gif

After an hour or so on my lathe (that's right, I'm not very quick on first off's..!), I had a lovely little finial fully polished, which friction fitted into the Kaigelu and weighed 10 grams less than the old one. While I was modifying the pen anyway, I thought I'd also fit a JoWo #6 broad nib, as shown below next to the bits I took off:
http://i771.photobucket.com/albums/xx356/richardandtracy/Kaigelu%20316%20Review/Kaigelu316Photo16_zpsfd3d07e2.jpg

So, on to the big question: What difference has it made?

Well, I now have a self coloured finial (indistinguishable from the original) that will not change colour when it wears, and it has significantly altered the balance of the pen.
For the better.
The weight is now much closer to the nib. I did a couple of experiments to try to assess the balance point (Centre of Gravity, CG), and as I was balancing it on the rounded handle of a tea spoon, the dimensions may be up to a millimeter in error, but it gives a good idea of the modified pen balance point. The CG positions from the tip of the nib are as below:
Centennial Uncapped: 73mm
Centennial Posted: 98mm
Original K316 Uncapped: 83mm
Original K316 Posted: 110mm
Modified K316 Uncapped: 65mm
Modified K316 Posted: 105mmYou can see that the brass cap finial on the modified posted pen is still dragging the CG quite a lot higher than the Duofold, however as the K316 doesn't post very securely, I don't think it's a pen for posting, so it won't be a problem.

The uncapped pen is now weighs the same as the uncapped Duofold Centennial (to within 0.5g), and has a slightly lower CG, so it feels almost identical when writing. The revised finial answers the biggest gripe I had about the K316 - the high CG - and makes it into a pen that is just as good to write with as the Parker Duofold Centennial. I must re-emphasise that statement:
With the modified finial the K316 is just as good to write with as a Centennial.
For a price that is approximately £350 (US$525) less - if you compare it with the spectacular Pearl & Black Duofold RRP in th UK. Amazing.
The fact that a JoWo (or Bock) nib can be fitted also means that the nib size can be altered at little cost (I think around $10) to a fantastic quality Broad or Fine to go with the standard Kaigelu Medium - which isn't quite the same quality, but isn't far off. I didn't need to change the nib, I just prefer broad lines, italic if possible.

Now for a little report on the plating wear.
I've had the pen in pretty regular use since October 2011 - almost every other day paired with another pen. During that time the gold plating has worn on the K316, and the current defects are listed below.
Cap
Clip ring: Not noticeable.
Clip: A 0.5mm wide band at the top of the clip has worn away (dark line in the photo above), and a 1mm wide band across the tip of the clip.
Cap Bands: Upper band has a worn away ring averaging 0.5mm wide, and the lower band has a ring worn away about 0.75mm wide.
Section
Nib: From the photo you can see almost all the visible gold plating had worn away.
Section lower ring by nib: No wear visible.
Section upper ring at barrel: Totally worn away and looks silver grey now.
Barrel
Finial Ring: Wear not noticeable until the finial was removed and was able to compare with the unworn plating - then it seemed quite dull and silvery.

Just as an aside, I seem to be very hard on my pens - certainly in comparison with my colleagues; I managed to wear through the gold plating on a kit pen in 3 weeks, and it took a colleague just over 12 months to obtain the same level of wear on his EDC pen that I made for him from the same batch of the same kit. With any luck, the wear I have noted above in 19 months will be much more than a more careful user would expect in 5 years.

I hope this is of interest,

Regards,

Richard.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• deepak23

• richardandtracy

• Kelly G

• dvalliere

Excellent Richard - other Kaigelu users will know what a huge difference in balance this will make. I would sign up like a shot for the very generous offer to machine another finial, but for the extra gubbins now taking residence in my brass one.

The VERY GOLD Jowa nib does suit the ha-uge gold cap clip too! ka-bling!

I am surpised by the plating wear patterns on your pen... I would have thought the massive exposed clip would be far worse, and the section upper ring at the barrel much better. Could the inside of your cap be rubbing against it? And what on earth stripped off the nib plating!

Great work - makes you wonder why Kaigelu went with brass finials in the first place!

Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : vintage Pilot Elite Pocket Pen review

Top notch work, Richard ! Congratulations !

And to you, as well, Flounder... your modification was well-done, also.

Alas, my 316 has run away from home, and gone to live with my big-handed cousin.

It's good to be back, friends !

J.R.

Nice job on the 316 Richard.

I have 2 of these and would love to change them to a fine nib,,are the Jowo nibs available in the UK?

beejay

• 2 years later...

Just wondering if any of our fellow enthusiasts in the US would be willing to mod a Kaigelu for those of us who have become fans of this model? I reall enjoy the pen and it writes very well. The finial and blind cap are noticeably worn, though. Anyone?

Richard, thanks to your dimension drawing my K316 now sports an ebonite barrel finial. Though not as smoothly finished as yours, it has still turned out good. The weight has significantly shifted downwards and its a pleasure to hold. Thanks again.

A lifelong FP user...

I am very pleased about that. With the modified finial they feel just like the vastly more expensive Duofold, and I use my ones interchangeably with the Duofold. Great pens for the money.

Regards,

Richard

Somehow the nib was a bit too broad for my liking and after a bit of a grind it writes a western fine and now i am in a happy place :-)

A lifelong FP user...

I like broad italics (my X450 sports one) or stubs (599) and the occasional architect (J159).

The K316 is wonderfully proportioned. So was going to use it for some time as a daily writer. But the M nib was neither here nor there. So ground down to an F and half...

A lifelong FP user...

• 1 year later...

With a fresh order on e-bay for a Kaigelu 316, I was wondering... would you still have one of these finals around or if you would consider making another (shipping in the UK)?

The pen should be shipped from China, so I would imagine it will take a few weeks to arrive here.

With a fresh order on e-bay for a Kaigelu 316, I was wondering... would you still have one of these finals around or if you would consider making another (shipping in the UK)?

The pen should be shipped from China, so I would imagine it will take a few weeks to arrive here.

I would be interested as well. I'm thinking it is likely too cold out in the shop right now, but when it warms up, if you decide to make more finials, please advise.

I just received my first 316 in today's mail. What a remarkably lovely pen. And for the even more remarkable price of $19.00 US, delivered! Mine is the white veined version and I can see where the translucence might be off putting; I however quite like it. But, I can see that I'll be wanting the other two versions in the not too distant future!

May we live, not by our fears but by our hopes; not by our words but by our deeds; not by our disappointments but by our dreams.

I've been thinking to buy this pen for A LONG time.

The reason I haven't yet bought it is because of its weight.

Where can I get a finial-replacement? Are they for sale or ...?

I've been thinking to buy this pen for A LONG time.

The reason I haven't yet bought it is because of its weight.

Where can I get a finial-replacement? Are they for sale or ...?

Depending on where you are located, i can send you one (in return for a letter with your country's postage stamp :-D )

A lifelong FP user...

Do you have a supply of them?

I have a couple of extras. When i got this made the guy made a few extras. It's presently unpolished. You'll need to polish it and then follow Richards instructions...

A lifelong FP user...

I have a couple of extras. When i got this made the guy made a few extras. It's presently unpolished. You'll need to polish it and then follow Richards instructions...

What's involved in the polishing? Can you easily point me to Richard's instructions? If not, no problem, I'll search for them.

What's involved in the polishing? Can you easily point me to Richard's instructions? If not, no problem, I'll search for them.

A few rounds of micromesh and a layer of CA if you prefer...

See the first post in this thread...

Edited by deepak23

A lifelong FP user...