Modern Parkers (Well Almost)

my63

For some time I have been collecting Parker fountain pens mainly Duofolds Victory's and 51's (by accident).

I would like to acquire two more modern pens to celebrate the birth of my children in 1997 and 1999 I will add these to my collection at first but will eventully give them to my children.

I would really appreciate some advice from anyone who has used pens from this era.

Thanks

Michael

For more details on my current projects please visit my blog.

https://my63leather.wixsite.com/my63

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• my63

• View from the Loft

• pajaro

Top Posters In This Topic

I have some Sonnets from that era, and the nibs were hit and miss, but that no longer bothers me as we know a man who can. When they are well set up, they are nice pens. However, the one thing that bothers me is that eventually the caps loosen and I have been advised that they cannot be tightened again - so I would be worried about making them my daily users.

I have a 1992 Duofold International that my husband bought for me that is rarely left unlinked.

My eldest son had a Jotter FP for a while until he managed to lose it. Nothing wrong with it, just not my taste.

All three of our children use fountain pens every day, and prefer them to ball points and roller balls. They were born between 1995 and 1998, so around the same age as yours. The eldest was given a Pelikan M200 with a custom ground nib (a gold M400 nib) for his 18th birthday. The pen was his choice, and he had free run of my collection (well pretty much) to decide what suited him best. My daughter has her head firmly screwed on, and uses a Safari at school and a Slimfold at home (she would be very upset if something happened to a vintage pen).

You might have a lot of fun looking at pens with them, and possibly pleasantly surprised at their tastes.

Thanks view from the loft they both have nice pens both vintage and modern.

I often give people pens that were made in the year of their birth usually with one of my little boxes.

As my daighter is about to leave high school for sixth form I am in the process of making them for her teacher and head of year and thought it would be nice to do the same for her and her brother.

Michael

For more details on my current projects please visit my blog.

https://my63leather.wixsite.com/my63

I looked inside the caps of my two sonnets, and it appears that they use a finger and clutch ring mechanism like what I have seen on the Parker 51. I have 51s from the 1940s that still hold the cap on well. If the Sonnet used a mechanism like Montblanc in the 144, a clutch ring in the section engaging the inner plastic cap, I could see it failing, because the Montblanc inner cap or section, or both, needs replacement after about fifteen years plus or minus. The 144 inner cap will wear, and sometimes the clutch ring pulls off of the section. My used Sonnet firedance pattern pen from the mid nineties takes a good effort to pull off. I don't think you would need to worry about the cap not holding.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.