The New Fpn

Admin

Hello Wim!

I used the contact sheet at the bottom of every page "Contact us". BTW my Firefox browser is configured to clean the cache when closing. This effect of non-loading-threads always comes unpredictably, right now the mentioned windows open here without delay too. But it always happens now and then, windows take five minutes or more to load until you finally stop before getting angry . . . I'm not that much into servers, but maybe you can look up the server history and see what happened when I tried to open that window about ten minutes before I did the posting.

Regards, Klaus

Hi Klaus,

If you configured your browser to empty the cache every time you close it, then it is obvious that you will have in general a worser performance than others.

You will facing longer loading times on reentering a thread, when others using cached information.

This is very noticeable on picture heavy threads.

Load times and virtual observed board performance will be always worser without cached information.

So normally it's not a good idea to clear the browser cache every time you close your browser.

As The Internet protocol (IP)is a connectionless protocol it is always possible to loose packets of a transmission (which has to be fetched again after a timeout).

So the observerved behavior can also be related to the IP packet routing from the FPN server to you.

And there is nothing you or the server hoster can do to to improve such a thing, if your request is routed through a "bad" hop.

It can also be related to your Internet connection if e.g. the signal quality is bad and a lot of transmission errors occur, you can check your router protocol on this.

So there are a lot of possible root causes, which can lead to your observed problem.

At least my observation is, that the board feels very fast now (don't equal picture load times with board performance, as most pictures are hosted externally).

Edited by Pterodactylus

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wimg

• Pterodactylus

• RMN

• newlife

Hello Wim!

I used the contact sheet at the bottom of every page "Contact us". BTW my Firefox browser is configured to clean the cache when closing. This effect of non-loading-threads always comes unpredictably, right now the mentioned windows open here without delay too. But it always happens now and then, windows take five minutes or more to load until you finally stop before getting angry . . . I'm not that much into servers, but maybe you can look up the server history and see what happened when I tried to open that window about ten minutes before I did the posting.

Regards, Klaus

Thank you, Klaus - I never noticed that Contact Us link at the bottom. I'll check where that gets generated from.

I think you may have gotten a good answer already as to speeds, slightly higher up. Just check if that solves your issues.

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

I don't believe that my problems have anything to do with caching. These two links I posted were threads I never opened before, so none of them were cached. My company LAN here is 100 MBit/s, not really slow I mean. And apart from that my problems happen exclusively with FPN . . . . :(

Kind regards, Klaus

I honestly don't know what could be causing it in that case, Klaus.

Over here it is quite fast. Do you have any add-ons loaded in FF?

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

Just entered my personal settings to change to european summer time, took me about two minutes to load the settings page. Add-ons are Adblock Plus and Downloadhelper 4.9.9, but none of them ever caused any delays in the past as far as I know.

Kind regards, Klaus

I don't believe that my problems have anything to do with caching. These two links I posted were threads I never opened before, so none of them were cached. My company LAN here is 100 MBit/s, not really slow I mean. And apart from that my problems happen exclusively with FPN . . . . :(

Kind regards, Klaus

Hi Klaus,

the 100 Mbit on the LAN does not say anything about the Internet Connection Speed.

I've locally a 1000 Mbit LAN but less a then 10 Mbit Internet connection.

It still can be a routing problem from the FPN Server to your location (you will not notice such an issue on different servers which are routed different).

I guess you can't check the Internet connection in your company by yourself, and might also don't want to bother the admin in your company why you are facing connection problems with the FPN server ;)

Also company internet connections can have issues....

Also scanners/filters which observe the Internet traffic of the users (block some content) and protocol it (which is quite common in company networks) can cause problems.

So it's quite difficult to say what causes the problem on your side if the server measurements on the FPN server does not show a problem.

It's curious, but for about one hour FPN did not load here at all, just a blank page saying the server refused connection . . .

Well done, all. And thank you.

The missing skins? Dunno, I like this clean new look. Bright and efficient.

Fingers crossed for a clean, safe, future.

Thanks.

See what I mean? Someone finds this the opposite of how I see it. Bright and efficient?? Not from where i sit. Site is also much slower.

Well done again, everybody - and thanks again for your diligence and effort.

Much appreciated. Nice to see FPN back up and running.

Yeah, still not missing the skins. Still quite happy with the stripped down look.

Still looks bright and efficient from where I sit.

And not experiencing any speed issues, yet.

Thanks again.

Enjoy.

Have the times stopped updating on the main page when it states the time on the last post made ?

To clarify if you go to the Montblanc forum look at the indicated posted time then go in the thread and look. Are those that need to be aware of this aware of this ?

Edited by Pen Nut

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

Have the times stopped updating on the main page when it states the time on the last post made ?

To clarify if you go to the Montblanc forum look at the indicated posted time then go in the thread and look. Are those that need to be aware of this aware of this ?

There is a problem with that. After loading a board or topic you have to refresh your browserpage to load the new content. It works, but with a twist, for now. I understand Wim is working on this. May have to do with a problem in the serverparc.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

Yes, indeed, it is being worked on. At least we don't get thrown out anymore thanks to some quick temporary fixes. Just use Crl-F5 when you encounter this, or alternatively, clear browser cache and temp files. That helps with this issue.

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

Kudos to the folks that rolled out the new site. I sure missed it when it was unavailable. I like the new look and feel.

I, for one, really appreciate your hard work and dedication. I just contributed a few bucks into the pot.

Warmly,

-Root.

Bravo!

Difficult and painstaking work, obviously appreciated by those who viist - just review the posts above.

The issues accompanying the necessary work are tolerable, and your continued efforts to return all to full speed and crisp appearance are apparent - and we are thankful for the contiuous effort.

Wonderful to have you back and to have the site rescued from the clutches of the miscreants.

DC

D.C. in PA - Always bitin' off more than I can chew.

Wow for a second I was like "what happened to the skins" but I see you are updating everything. Hopefully the skins issue will get fixed soon because that made the board experience very elegant...the library one was the best with the marbleized (yes that's how you actually spell it :wacko:) look. So make sure to definitely keep that one when the skins get put back aye. And yes, good job so far. Computers are obnoxious so I understand.

Edited by Gryphon

§ "Explanations take such a dreadful time" §

Thanks for getting the site back up and running!

I have a question, since the new site came up I can no longer 'read' the body of the post by hovering over the title. Is this function now not able to be used? I dont always click on a topic to read what is inside immediately so having the ability to hover over any topic and read the post was superb.

Can I enable it somehow?

Between the topic title and the number of replies there is a dark round sign with an arrow pointing down. Click on that and you'll see the first and last entry in the topic.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

I notice that the mobile view of the new FPN is broken. On iPhones, the main page appears as mobile, but clicking on various sections produces no content, only a link to click for full view. The mobile view worked great on the previous FPN software. Can this be fixed? Thanks for reading.

I notice that the mobile view of the new FPN is broken. On iPhones, the main page appears as mobile, but clicking on various sections produces no content, only a link to click for full view. The mobile view worked great on the previous FPN software. Can this be fixed? Thanks for reading.

You'll have to clear your browser cache, temp files, history and cookies, all and completely, in order to fix this.

HTH, warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

You'll have to clear your browser cache, temp files, history and cookies, all and completely, in order to fix this.

HTH, warm regards, Wim

I tried that twice in my iPhone. Didn't fix the problem.

One person who contacted me with the same problem did this over a period of several days (3 or 4), a few times, and it finally did work after that.

HTH, warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman