The New Fpn

Admin

Dearest Members & Visitors to the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

As you are all aware by now, while we were trying to defeat the redirects, we upgraded our Board Software to the latest version.

The main reason for this was to add a few more layers of security, and get better support. We were planning an update anyway, but the recent problems put this upgrade on the high speed track.

The biggest loss right now is our beautiful skin set, as those haven't been ported yet to this new version of the software, so in the mean time we will have to make do with this, although we will see whether we can find a few temporary replacements as well.

Because of the speed with which this was implemented, and because we didn't want to keep FPN too long out of the air, some of the features are likely not working 100% yet, and we still have a few aesthetic and configuration issues. Those we will all solve while the board is online, over the next few weeks - the main functionalities do work.

We are also still working on Classifieds: the images do not show up automatically. Essentially each Classified needs to be edited, and then saved. A simple set of two steps, but rather time consuming. Of course, anybody who has listed anything in Classifieds can help out here as well, by just doing those two steps for each of their own classifieds.

We are all new to the rejuvenated interface, but please, feel free to ask any questions on how to do or work things in Members Helping Members, and post any improvements you can think of in Community Feedback. We won't be able necessarily to give an answer straight away, but we will, as usual, do our utmost to answer any questions as fast as possible.

Finally, least but certainly not last, we would really like to thank, from the bottom of our hearts, our Hosting Service Support Team at PowerVPS, with whom we could not have solved the problems we were encountering, and who have been friendly, helpful, very responsive and supporting throughout this episode, working 24/7, as well as the team at Invision, who jumped in to try and help us upgrade and secure the site even further, working through the night, and being very responsive too. We also would like to thank all of our pen friends, who offered comfort, solace, and a helping hand throughout this strenuous episode - it was very, very much appreciated.

Without all of you, this wouldn't have been possible. Thank you!

And to all our members and visitors: we do hope you will all enjoy the new looks of FPN!

Warmest regards,
The FPN Admin and Moderator Team

This account is unmanaged.
Please direct questions and comments to [email="fpnadmin@gmail.com"]FPN Admin email[/email], or directly to [url="http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/user/17-wimg/"]admin Wim (wimg)[/url].

Thank you very much in advance.

Warm regards,
The FPN Admin Team

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wimg

• Pterodactylus

• RMN

• newlife

And let us not forget to thank a certain Admin, who spend about 72 hours of his own time, for free, in executing these monstrous tasks.

Well done Wim. :thumbsup:

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

Many thanks for the hugr and outstanding effort to keep the board safe and clean!! I am so glad the board is back on again. I quite enjoy the new look!!

I'm glad to See FPN back online and hope all problems are solved now.

Thanks for our engagement and work. :)

Thank-you for the dedication and time spent solving these problems!

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!

I'm concerned to see how much slower FPN is now. It was slower than most forums before, but is now slower than anything. Is there any optimisation that could be carried out on the server side to alleviate the performance issues.

And before anyone says it, yes, I'm on a decently fast connection, and I'm not seeing any slowdown on other forums I frequent.

The Multiquote buttons seem to be nonfunctional as well (they were before, but I hoped that the new version would fix that).

[size="4"]"[i][b][color="#000000"]Qui plume a, guerre a.[/color][/b][/i]" - Voltaire[/size]

For me it seems faster and I am on a medium slow DSL connection and a 801n wireless connection.

And thanks to all who put in so much time to keep the forum running smoothly and safely. :bunny01: :notworthy1:

I'm concerned to see how much slower FPN is now. It was slower than most forums before, but is now slower than anything. Is there any optimisation that could be carried out on the server side to alleviate the performance issues.

And before anyone says it, yes, I'm on a decently fast connection, and I'm not seeing any slowdown on other forums I frequent.

The Multiquote buttons seem to be nonfunctional as well (they were before, but I hoped that the new version would fix that).

Edited by MadAmos

Amos

The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once.

Albert Einstein

I am -- as we all are -- extremely happy and thankful that you (and your colleagues) have spent so much time fixing everything, but everything, here in the forum.

I haven't yet looked at any of the subforums to see what's been added since because that is for me, yes, secondary.

Without you, I couldn't survive!!!

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

1) right now, to me, FPN seems pretty perky. I'm wondering how much delay is your provider doing the necessary work to build the defenses. I'm actually not seeing any great delays out here, and I've got a reasonably fast internet connection...

2) I actually like the look of FPN now. Clean, simple. I liked it before, I like it now.

The "My Content" seems not to work.

After pressing it I get the:

Search is not enabled on the community at this time.

I just came to say I *love* the irony of the guy who likes the new interface quadruple posting his opinion.

For me the forum feels currently also unusable slow.

Posting a message take several Minutes, opening a thread is not much faster.

Hope this is only temporary.

But visual looks very nice now, I think I like it optical more than before :)

Have to agree with the above. I put it down to teething probs but will keep an eye on it. Well done to all involved

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

We found a few causes why it might have been slow, and removed those. We'll have to monitor it for a while, I think.

Some of the add-ons are not as compatible as they are supposed to be or as they were, and in the upgrade a few things went missing as well, it appears.

It currently does feel better, but we'll have ot see if it stays that way.

We have asked for our server team to keep us monitored for now, and we have also created a support ticket with the software guys.

It was a big upgrade indeed, of a rather big board too :D.

There are people running a board with problems on a server 4 times the size of ours with no more than 800 people logged in at a time, so we are not doing too badly I think ;).

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

I just came to say I *love* the irony of the guy who likes the new interface quadruple posting his opinion.

No longer ;).

We always like to help :D.

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

I would like to pass along great thanks for all of the work and effort put in on FPN. When I went to it and got the "off-line" message, my first thought was that something bad had happened, but I also had the conviction that people were on it, things would get fixed when they could get fixed, and all, in time, would get sorted out. I do not have this feeling on some other sites I frequent for interests that I have. I have found that it is easy to live with some bugs and glitches when underlying progress and improvement can be expected.

Once again, thank you - and if I can do anything to help, I will. asiras - a total supporter.

Edited by asiras

Thanks for the performance improvements :)

Will the features:

- see if a person is currently online or not beside the avatar

- see who is currently viewing a thread

Be reactivated?

Yes, once the problems are sorted. Those two options are resource eaters, which is why they are temporarily switched off.

HTH, warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman