First Piston Filler

3rdlakerobert

I had to put aside the commission I was working on this week to wait for some materials, so I made a piston filler for myself. The piston mechanisms have been for sale by Richard Greenwald for a few weeks now, and I will tell you that they come with excellent instructions. My pen features a fine point Heritance nib and an ink window.

I'm working on another piston filler now with a a Jowo nib. I think the Jowo's smaller feed holders are an advantage for piston filler sections that carry the threads for the cap.

Note that the ink window also has a few threads for the cap. Having cap threads terminate on the ink window prevents the section from unscrewing with the cap. The main reason for putting the threads on the section rather than on the barrel allows me to recess the ink window into the cap so that it doesn't affect the pen's appearance when it's closed.

Length closed 5 3/4" (146 mm)

Length uncapped 5 1/2"(140 mm)

Length posted 6 3/4" (174 mm)

Barrel diameter (at widest point) 14 mm

Cap diameter 16 mm

Section diameter (at widest point) 13.6

Blind cap diameter (at widest point) 12 mm

Weight 29 gm

Ink capacity 2.0 ml

fpn_1366425513__green-black_piston_filler_018_small.jpg

fpn_1366425617__green-black_piston_filler_015_small.jpg

fpn_1366425790__green-black_piston_filler_013_small.jpg

fpn_1366425829__green-black_piston_filler_009_small.jpg

fpn_1366425868__green-black_piston_filler_002_small.jpg

fpn_1366425924__green-black_piston_filler_006_small.jpg

fpn_1366426047__green-black_piston_filler_011_small.jpg

fpn_1366426085__green-black_piston_filler_010_small.jpg

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3rdlakerobert

• Federalist Pens

• paolino_paperino

• basterma

That's a beautiful pen!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

:clap1: Very good work!!! I love that it resembles a vintage Pelikan. :clap1:

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

—Oscar Wilde

Looks Great!! Stunning even!

;)

"Celebrating Eight Years of Retail Writing Excellence"

"When, in the course of writing events, in becomes self-evident that not all pens are created equal"

Federalist Pens and Paper (Online Pen Store)

facelogobooks.png.7b61776c10ce24852b00693f4005dc72.png

Use Forum Code "FPN" at Checkout to Receive an Additional 5% Discount!

Wow! Very nice! You gave me the idea of next challenge. It will be the filling system, so much to lean. Thank you for the inspiration.

Yoshi

I can't believe I'm making fountain pens! pen.18111.com

That's a beautiful pen.

Thanks!

That's a beautiful pen!

Thanks!

:clap1: Very good work!!! I love that it resembles a vintage Pelikan. :clap1:

Hey, good eye! That's what I was hoping.

Classy

Thanks!

Nice Work

Thanks!

Looks Great!! Stunning even!

;)

Thanks!

Wonderful, thoughtful work all the way around. The meticulous care and planning you put into your pens is an inspiration. What color did you choose to first ink it with?

Thanks, Renee! I do try to plan more carefully now than I used to. Sketching and note taking are essential. I loaded it with MB Toffee Brown. This pen has a fine point. I think Toffee flows so readily it might be unpleasantly wet in a medium.

Wow! Very nice! You gave me the idea of next challenge. It will be the filling system, so much to lean. Thank you for the inspiration.

Yoshi

My pleasure, Yoshi! Your skill is improving rapidly!

Edited by Robert111

Looks great Robert!! Terrific that you made it for yourself, too. I realized some time ago that I'd never made a pen just for me. All of my pens were "oopsies" that were good, but not "for sale" good. Now I try to keep the first of every new filling system or style that I'll repeat. It's fun :thumbup:

Lovely. It recalls the classic lines of the Pelikan 140. Great work!

And FWIW I think seeing a bit of the ink window when the cap is on is actually nice. Many old Montblancs had this feature, which is still appreciated. As as example, here's a 244, from the maxpens.de website:

http://www.maxpens.de/bilder/244g01.jpg

Écrire c’est tenter de savoir ce qu’on écrirait si on écrivait. – M. Duras

Brilliant work, Robert! The shape is pleasing, the colours nice, and the filling system - way to make the rest of us feel inadequate! :crybaby:

Amazing, the cool work you can get done between commissions, isn't it...

Congrats on an excellent step forward! (and a new bar for the rest of us to meet)

Cheers,

Ken

Looks great Robert!! Terrific that you made it for yourself, too. I realized some time ago that I'd never made a pen just for me. All of my pens were "oopsies" that were good, but not "for sale" good. Now I try to keep the first of every new filling system or style that I'll repeat. It's fun :thumbup:

Thanks Lyle. Like you, I have a bunch of pens that have slight issues and have taken their place in my "collection." I don't know what'll become of them, but I can't bring myself to throw them away. I have broken down a few for parts, though. This piston filler appeals to me and will be my carry for a while. It's a little large for my taste, but I really like the color combination and the nib.

Hi Robert:

This is awesome!, Gorgeous!

Julio

Thanks Julio.

Lovely. It recalls the classic lines of the Pelikan 140. Great work!

And FWIW I think seeing a bit of the ink window when the cap is on is actually nice. Many old Montblancs had this feature, which is still appreciated. As as example, here's a 244, from the maxpens.de website:

http://www.maxpens.de/bilder/244g01.jpg

Yes, I have a 140 with a fine point, which is my sketch pen. That Mb is beautiful. I like having the ink window visible without uncapping. Makes sense. I guess I just wanted to see if I could hide it.

Brilliant work, Robert! The shape is pleasing, the colours nice, and the filling system - way to make the rest of us feel inadequate! :crybaby:

Amazing, the cool work you can get done between commissions, isn't it...

Congrats on an excellent step forward! (and a new bar for the rest of us to meet)

Cheers,

Ken

Thanks Ken. Yes, I love making something for myself--there's always something new to try. :eureka:

Robert, Robert, Robert... Oh, my friend. Such a handsome pen, and a piston filler. And, it resembles a vintage Pelikan. Whew! I've barely assimilated the last shipment from your workshop!

Very nice, sir.

John

Very nice work indeed.

Just one question. How did you finish the barrel inner surface in which the piston seal comes in touch?

I have been tempted to get a few piston mechanisms, but still have a lot of doubts/questions. I think I have to get one and with the instructions and the "piece" in hand I can then, and only then, go to the drawing board...

Congrats!

Jose

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3448/3377063898_1eaf38aeda_o.jpg

The Danitrio Fellowship

• 3 weeks later...

outstanding :thumbup: my favorite color as well

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

• 7 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Beautiful fountain pen with a perfect finish, well done !

What kind of filler is installed, screw piston filler,  twist filler or something else? 

Francis